New Antique Upright Bass Day !!!

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Sam Sherry, May 4, 2016.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

Want to talk about how "Old wood is good wood?" Here we go: Circa 1850 German double bass.

[​IMG]

This instrument predates the American Civil War -- it's easily the oldest bass I have ever owned. Guitars come and go at my house, but this is my first new DB in ten years.

[​IMG]

Yes, it has had its full share of repairs over the past 165-or-so years. But Upton Bass has been through it so it is in sound condition.

[​IMG]

This instrument sounds just great -- deep, growly pizz and it loves the bow even with brand-new Spiros. And it's loud. Very loud. Other basses run away when this guy comes in the room.

With luck, I will play it for a long time and it will keep playing long after I am gone!

2. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Member

3. veinbuster

veinbuster Member

4. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

Love it!! Congrats!

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

aren't you in the wrong half of TB? :)

anyway, what size is it, and what pickup do you have on there?

6. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

Wayull . . . yuh . . . TGP lacks New Antebellum Guitar Days. I wanted to make a contribution!

I used to be a moderator on the TB/DB board. It gives me continued respect for the folks who moderate here at TGP.

Medium-sized 3/4" instrument with a 43" mensure -- an extra inch of scale length where it counts. Ain't no flabby bottom on this guy!

Underwood pickup, my number-one choice since 1978. This bass --> that pickup --> 1984 Walter Woods MI-225 --> 2x Euphic Audio VL-210 = The Voice Of The Bass!

swa likes this.