New art of an 'old' guitar...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by John Backlund, Sep 17, 2008.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

well!...almost a year since the first real one was built but there's never been any color art for this one..but I wanted to see what one might look like in black and mint, engine-turned plate and a Maple fretboard. The real guitars were made from my pencil sketches as the only guide.

[​IMG]

For a larger view of this illustration, click on the link below..
    http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_f...original_158996_NvLOsUmsMTe1zp0_f5lJa_EQt.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  2. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Crazy cool (all of the stuff I see from you).

3. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I'm going to be honest here. I just LOVE the look of the bodies you create. I'm not a fan of the headstock I've seen on several now. To my eye, it just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the guitar.

I do have to say that you're very good at this!

4. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

I'm starting to think that I should have been doing this sort of thing decades ago, it may have been my 'calling' in life to design guitars (and maybe a toaster or two here and there), but I didn't realize it until quite recently.

The whole thing is almost a textbook case of 'A labor of love' in that this is pretty much what I do for 'fun' these days...though it may be more of an obsession than recreation.

I've never made a nickel doing this, and perhaps never will, but I keep pumping them out anyway, there's some sort of natural 'inertia' going on with them, it's probably the only thing I do that I can honestly be called 'prolific' at.

When I have accumulated somewhere around 100 original designs and their derivatives, I'm going to try to put them in a book that has a large number of these full-color renderings as well as pencil sketches, line art, and maybe even a few ballpoint-on-cafe-napkin drawings...mostly serious stuff, but a number of very silly concepts from years past...like my gasoline-powered dreadnaught idea.....I'm going to title it....(TAAA-DAAAA!!!) '100 Guitars'. :BEER

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

6. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Amazing looking. Love your designs. The one above though, for me would be a functional problem with the distance of the Vol/Tone knobs from the bridge.
    I wonder how that fairly extreme angle of the neck pickup would sound as well.

RC

7. WordMan

WordMan Member

I love the design, too - but also agree with rhinocaster about the headstock - it's a bit too Paul Bigsby/Merle Travis, and not enough '57 T-Bird or equivalent retro-cool to go with the body.

Forgive me for coming to your designs late, but have you posted others on TGP? Can you include a few links to those?

Good stuff!

8. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

No one has mentioned the vol/tone knob location as a possible problem so far, so it must be (as most things are) a subjective thing, depending on personal playing styles.

The angle of the neck pickup can be a problem, but Bruce has found that using a pickup designed for 7 string guitar solves the length issue of the pickup and the guitar sounds very nice, but he can't find a chrome-top pickup for it however. Also, He told me this morning that Lace is making a special pickup for this guitar to address the angle.

9. highrise

highrise Member

Hey John!

Uzibusa here.

Lovin the colors!

10. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

The reason we use that particular headstock is because it's undeniably ours. It's almost impossible anymore to come up with a nice headstock shape that doesn't infringe in some way on someone elses. It's a very small piece of wood who's shape must accomodate the six tuning keys in a very limited number of well-established positions.

I've found that headstock design is a veritable legal minefield these days and no matter what you do, it'll remind people of something that either exists now, or was used before somewhere, someplace.

Infact, this is the first time that anyone has even mentioned that this headstock resembles anything else out there, so try as hard as we might, there's just no 'winning' with headstocks, so it's one area that, unfortunately requires a lot of asthetic compromises on my part as a designer.

Here's where I 'stash' most of my guitar art....and a whole lot of other, unrelated things......
    http://www.coroflot.com/public/indi...&individual_id=158996&set_id=135080&sort_by=1&

11. Krank

Krank Member

12. ShaneGuitar

ShaneGuitar Member

I love it just the way it is. I would play it all day long!

13. playon

playon Supporting Member

I would think that the neck pickup would sound kinda weird, and also kind of weird combined with the other pickup. But I could be wrong.

I agree also about the headstock, I would get rid of the fender-ish contours on the bottom so that it echos the shape of the body more... but that's just my 2 cents. Overall it looks killer. Do you have a link to any of your other designs, I'd like to see them.

14. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

There should be one or two of those displayed at NAMM in January, but what the actual finish will be I don't know. It'll be interesting to see if the clear wood and paint combination proves appealing to people. I like it a lot, especially with lighter finished woods like Ash contrasted against a strong color.

15. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

Wasssssup dog? how's things back in the busa-world?

16. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

The Coroflot designer portfolio site I posted a link to few post up is where most of my 'presentable' artwork can be seen, I must have over a hundred items up there altogether by now, maybe twenty or so are guitar related.

17. WordMan

WordMan Member

I really enjoy your designs - any plans on making the JBD-800 a reality? If so, I would love to hear about the features - bolt-on/set neck, scale length, etc...

18. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

If you wanted to do volume swells it would be almost impossible. But it's not much different than a Les Paul or SG. I love doing volume swells, but that came to a stop when I got my SG.

19. highrise

highrise Member

IDK...I got ban-hammered.

EtrnalSoldier and I got into one too many fights.

Went to S4L but it was just sloppy, cookie, and DJ...so now I split my time between here and TAG....and the LPForum...

I've designed at least one headstock...I enjoy design work, did I ever show you my bass?

I'll try to find a pic...<@wrk.

20. highrise

highrise Member