New Artinger Build - ITS HERE!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by DanH8482, Oct 1, 2015.

1. DanH8482

DanH8482 Supporting Member

Snow day off from work today, man I wish I had this since I'll be home alone all day long...

just gotta survive these last few days, its killing me!

2. dmkz

dmkz Supporting Member

I feel for you. I had to go into work this morning for a few hours, but as soon as I get outta here I'm gonna spend some quality time playing. Maybe I'll even get some work in on some musical projects :D

DanH8482 likes this.
  3. DanH8482

Yes, I will have a ton of practice time today. I'll be working on a couple specific tunes so I'll be ready once the guitar gets here.

dmkz likes this.
  4. KSL

KSL Member

I don't think my Jaw can drop any lower!!!!

5. DanH8482

Its finally here!!!!

I've only had a few minutes to play it so far, but I'm immediately blown away. Pictures do not do it justice that's for sure. I'll report back after some more time with it.

Gallery #338 on his website if you want to see the final photos.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Guitarshreda and dmkz like this.
  6. satisphied

satisphied Member

I want that koa guitar with p90s so bad..

DanH8482 likes this.
  7. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

:p

[​IMG]

8. DanH8482

Me too!

9. dmkz

dmkz Supporting Member

Congrats Dan, the pics look great. Such a classic look, but it's really all about how it feels and plays in your hands.

Also, how nice is that new guitar smell, am I right?!!

DanH8482 likes this.
  10. kralltime

kralltime Gold Supporting Member

Dan, it's beautiful… I just got the email that mine is back from finishing!!!!

DanH8482 likes this.
  11. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Gorgeous!!

[​IMG]

Oh, and I got around to making a clip of mine with the Firebird in the neck, here you go:

http://www.rpmchallenge.com/userplayer/8373/Cascade.mp3

12. kralltime

kralltime Gold Supporting Member

Getting very close on mine!!! Just waiting on the ebony for the tailpiece and a bit of inlay work.

[​IMG]

DanH8482, tremayne007, derekd and 2 others like this.
  13. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Lookin' good, Kralltime!

14. DanH8482

Well, I think I've waited long enough to give some of my impressions of this guitar. This is by far the finest quality electric instrument I have ever owned. As is well documented with Matt, the craftsmanship is as good as gets. Everything is first-class all the way, I could not be happier. The playability is exactly what I was hoping for, very comfortable and easy to play, the action was actually too low for me when it arrived, but no buzzes anywhere. I gave the bridge adjustment dials about a quarter turn each and its up high enough that if I want to play a slide lick or two I can do so.

I knew the guitar would sound good unplugged, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good. It is loud enough for practicing and has a full, rich tone that all my students have been envious of! Every note speaks clearly, up to the highest notes on each strings and it great separation and evenness across the strings, which works well for chord solos, voice-leading, and just open-chord strumming. Plugged in, it is a clean tone dream. Very warm and full but still articulate and clear, even on the neck pickup alone, which is a big thing for me and something Matt and I talked about at length. I spend very little time on the bridge pickup alone but the sound there is crisp and cutting, but still has a sweetness to it that makes me want to go there occasionally even though its not my comfort zone. My favorite setting so far is the neck pickup in the parallel setting, the extra snap from that mode adds a bit a bite to the warmth and gives a slightly acoustic quality (to my ear) that you might find on an arch top, perfect for jazz comping. Of course the neck pickup in the full hum bucker setting is warm and smooth and creamy, yet very articulate. I don't use the middle position too much on clean sounds, but I'm experimenting with a mix of the full hum bucker in the bridge with a split or parallel neck. Its taking me much longer than I hoped to get to know it because of a lot of jobs that require a different style of guitar, but I'm hoping to have some more time free up shortly to spend an afternoon in a rehearsal space to explore more fully.

As for overdriven sounds, it has the ability to really scream. It does feedback but not uncontrollably, and in a desirable way that is full of overtones. I'm still looking to dial this in for a lead sound, but that is going to take time as its impossible to do at apartment volumes and while I have my Mesa Boogie figured out for high gain with high output pickups, I'm still figuring out the lower gain-lower output sounds. That's more about me and the amp and less about the guitar though. I plugged it into a Carol-Ann OD3 at a local shop and it was AMAZING! So good that I had to run out of there as fast as I could to avoid talking myself into buying the amp; my Boogie my be on its way out after playing that thing!

Overall, I could not be happier with my experience working with Matt and getting this guitar. I have become a better player in the short time I've had it because I can't put it down. Any free time I have, I'm playing that guitar. It still won't be my everyday guitar because of the needs of some of my gigs, but this is definitely the guitar that is my sound and I'm excited to really get to know it over the next years.

15. satisphied

satisphied Member

Congrats man that is gorgeous. I can't wait to work with Matt some day.

DanH8482 likes this.
  16. bilbal

bilbal Member

DanH8482 and Jahn like this.
  17. DanH8482

Thanks! I absolutely love this guitar and I'm still amazed at how it sounds and plays every time I take it out of the case.

What are you getting???

18. bilbal

bilbal Member

So far we've discussed a Semi Hollow Spruce with OBEL/Preamp, series/parallel/split, mahogany w/ebony board. I dig the look of his slotted heads stocks but I don't know if it's right for me. Completely diggin the Tiger Eye finish.