New Avatar 4x12 - w/greenbacks or empty for Private Jacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wheelbarrow, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow Member

I'm going to order an avatar vintage 4x12 soon. I'm either going to get it with greenbacks or get an empty one and put emi private jacks in it. Would the price difference and effort be worth it for the PJ's? Or should I just stick with the greenbacks?

2. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Can't you get the Avatar w/PJs?

3. ?&!

?&! Member

Avatar sells speakers so cheap that you don't really save much buying an empty cab. You could buy the cab loaded with Greenbacks to see if you dig them, and if not, sell the Greenies on Craigslist. You'd probably make enough to finance the PJs, maybe even a little more. Good luck! :)

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I haven't tried the PJ's, but I did have th GB12's, and many other Eminence's. Go with the Greenbacks, trust me. Nothing wrong with them, one of my favorite speakers of all-time.

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

Standard, "made in China" greenbacks - very nice !!! One of Celestions best current offerings IMO.

6. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

The newer PJ's are a little bright to my ears. I've got an older one in my blues jr. right now and it sounds wonderful. I put two others in an avatar 2x12 and they were brittle and stiff. I much prefered my old greenbacks.