New AX8 User - Tips?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JCantrell, Sep 9, 2019.

1. JCantrell

JCantrell Member

I bought an AX8 on a whim yesterday. I currently have 5 amps and was almost going to buy another but then saw the AX8 come up and thought why not. At the very least, I can ‘audition’ all the amps I could ever desire for the price of one amp, at the best I may not desire to buy any more amps.

I’m currently just running it into my interface and using Wall of Sound III IRs in my DAW. I tried some of the onboard cabs but the Redwirez and Ownhammer IRs that I already paid for on my PC sound way better. I do plan to run through my tube amps as well and do some A/B testing.

My question is are there any tips or things you wished you would’ve known when you first gone, in terms of dialling in great tones?

It all seems a little overwhelming given the amount of options you can fiddle with just in the amp block alone. I’ve used sims like Amplitube and Helix Native before but nothing like this. I did make sure to immediately update it to the latest firmware.

2. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Low cut and high cut in the cab block is your friend. I set the low cut somewhere around 100-110Hz. High cut to taste.

mdubya and Powderfinger like this.
  3. hippietim

hippietim Member

Do a factory reset - reset system settings and download the factory presets. Obviously, back up what was on there already first.

4. Ejay

Ejay Member

Plug it into the return of one of your amps....switch cabs off in the ax, use a simple chain, amp and effcts to taste...sell 3 out off 5 amps after ;)

JiveTurkey likes this.
  5. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Download some presets from the FAS forum and reverse engineer them. Figure out what all the blocks are doing. Lots of options on gain staging, EQ'ing, boosts, etc.

If you want some good tones without the wait, just grab the Austin Buddy preset packs.

6. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

The how-to thread on the Fractal Forum has a few really good video's that helped get me started and shorten the learning curve. Good luck.

7. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Hit the “cut” switch in the amp block to instantly dial out mud.

8. mdubya

mdubya Member

This is essential, imho.

High cut at ~ 5-6 k.

I find the onboard cab/IRs to be excellent, personally.

Google and the Fractal forum are excellent sources for almost any question.

Patience is needed for the UI, but each time you figure out how to do something, the job is that much easier next time 'round.

2.5 years in, I love my AX8 more than ever.

Endlessly demoing amp models is a blast.

9. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

I just grabbed one off Reverb week before last, it arrived the day before I went out of town for a week. I'm just starting to dive in and figure out what's what. So far I'm digging it. Anyone have tips on how to make the "classic whammy" effect in the pitch block sound less artificial, though?

I already figured out I could set one of the footswitches to be a control switch, attach that to the whammy, add some damping, and get it to do what the Digitech Whammy Ricochet does. That is majorly cool.

10. FractalMB

FractalMB Vendor

11. MattC

MattC Member

FractalMB likes this.