New Axe-FX II day.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Tybalt, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

I'd write more but I'm stuck playing preset #94 - which I believe is the Carol Ann Triptik (modern). I f*cking love playing this preset and I can't seem to move on to actually explore the rest of the unit yet.
    Dude, Carol-Ann guy, I need to play the actual amp, because this sound and feel is the ****. :drink

2. svl

svl Supporting Member

Congrats! Welcome to losing hours upon hours of time lost riffing in sonic heaven. :)

Did you score a II or the XL?

3. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

Thanks! I got the Mark II.

4. FuzzFox

FuzzFox Member

Congratulations!

Do yourself a favor;

Make sure to separate 'tuning your presets' time from 'let's explore and find new sounds' time, otherwise you might as well say goodbye to family and friends right now. ;)

Make sure you try the 'Buttery'(?) amp through the Beatles/Pre-Rola(?) cab (the cab was released recently by Cliff over on the Axe-FX forums somewhere, I'll dig it up and edit this post). It's not a sound that I would have typically gone for before picking mine up, but I just decided to play around with it based on Cliff's post and WOW.

5. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

:beer

6. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

haha, that's a good suggestion. I already rushed out to get Wendy's (yeah the horror) and shoveled it down my gullet in order to get back to Axe-FX.
    :D

yeah, I'll give that Buttery amp a try through that cab when I start delving a bit deeper.

7. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Congrats man! Even though I own the "other" guy, i want to get my hands on the Axe-II

8. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

Hey thanks man. Actually, I had been following your threads on your Kemper and your clips had me worried I had possibly made the wrong decision because they sounded so good.
    I would love to get my hands on a Kemper myself. But right now I'm pretty much over the moon with the Axe-FX II. :D

9. DC23

DC23 Member

Welcome to the club! The axe makes you realize just how little free time you actually have everyday lol. :)

10. geoangus

geoangus Member

I just got mine about three weeks ago. My, oh my, so much goodness in there! My work schedule of late has been taxing, I just wish I had a week to immerse myself in it.

I've had several amps over the years, but I always felt like I sounded the same. For the first time, I feel like I have more than one voice and it has been very inspiring.

11. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

word. :D

Indeed, very inspiring. It's amazing to have that many usable, organic feeling tone options at the, uh, twist of a wheel. :agree

12. biffoz

biffoz Member

Ola Axe FX peeps! I've been happily enjoying working with the awesomeness that is the Axe FX II and recently managed to start attaching controllers, specifically using the ADSR for control of amp gain: It worked great, but I then proceeded to attempt undoing the controller assignment and switched back to "none", yet I still have ADSR working on not only that patch, but globally, yet I can't manage to find a way to toggle it off. I'm now faced with cancelling some recording, until I get it worked out, or sadly have to overwrite that particular bank. Any clues for my confused and frustrated brain?

13. FuzzFox

FuzzFox Member

While I was looking for the thing I referenced earlier, here are a couple of the 'golden moments' I've experienced with mine, the things that REALLY made a huge difference in how much I enjoy it (and considering how happy I've been overall, that's saying a LOT). ;)

'My secret to realistic cab sounds.'
    'My secret formula.'
    'About HF resonance.'
    And I FINALLY found the thread I referenced earlier:

'Another IR present for you.'
    IR Download links:
    Mark I/II
    http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/4x12 Beatle Mix_XL.syxXL
    Anyway, those are just a few of the things that I've really dug, but there's a TON more out there. It'll help you a LOT to get over to the FAS forums, hit up their Wiki, and just experiment (start small, amp + cab and build from there) with that thing. It's a lot of fun and the community is awesome.

Also, check out Axe-FX Tutorials, it's a good resource and several of us idle in the IRC there throughout the day.

14. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

Thanks, man! I'm totally appreciative of you preemptively doing a bunch of the leg-work for me. :drink

15. FuzzFox

FuzzFox Member

Nah, ain't no thing man. I flipped back and forth between tabs while I've been sitting here working on presets for some upcoming projects and gigs. :)

16. Gilks

Gilks Member

Welcome to the club, man! Glad you like it. :)

17. Deaj

Deaj Member

Congratulations!

The AxeFX II is a fantastic piece of kit. Smartest money I've ever spent on music equipment.

Enjoy! :)

18. db9091

db9091 Member

Being unable to stop playing a preset is what it's all about. Hope that feeling lasts a lifetime!

19. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Re: Character params.
    The 'character' parameters are being removed in the next FW. I would not recommend sending a new user down the path of tweaking them.

Re: Beatle and Pre-Rola GB cabs
    You don't need to download those. They are part of the units Firmware now (i.e. they are stock cabs in FW17.x).

20. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

If you are having fun, you are doing it right! Enjoy the journey!!