New Bad Cats! ATTN wsaraceni

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LocustXReign, Jan 9, 2008.

1. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

I recall a recent post about the bad cat BC50 and some of the new things they're coming out with and I could not locate that posting, so I figured I'd go ahead and give you guys the info I've been afforded.

I spoke with James today because I've commissioned him to build me a custom reverb tank(which I've christened the 'Wet Cat' lol) and we got to talking about new products, and I questioned him on the BC50. From the horses mouth(please bear in mind this was a phone convo and i was not taking notes, so this is paraphrased at very best):

It's a JTM45/Plexi style, class A/B amp. It will be in a cheaper price bracket then other bad cats, though it will still be handwired and made in the US. The perspective pricing will be around 1500 street. James also told me theyre planning on doing a fender style big clean amp after the BC50 takes off, and they may be doing a very complicated reverb tank(IE digital and tube driven all in one unit and selectable, though what i'm requesting is closer to the fender style 3 knob unit, but quieter and with out the tone suck and designed around the lynx).

Enjoy lol.

2. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Member

Thanks for the info - I saw the ad in Vintage Guitar and haven't been able to find anything on the web about them.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

thanks. thats definitely interesting

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

For a dedicated 3 knob reverb unit, the best builds are the Vintone Circuits Outboard and Jule Amps Santa Cruz reverb.

The reverb in my Hot Cat 100 has always been very light, sort of behind the note and nothing like a Fender reverb.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Very cool indeed. Page 2 of this month's Vintage Guitar Magazine has an advertisement for it and picture. Looks nice, and simple controls too - 6 knobs total.

6. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Im going to have it voiced a lot closer to the vintone style then the reverb generally associated with bad cat, but I wanted something unique and I wanted two pairs of glowing eyes peering out from my flight case for our upcoming tours lol.

7. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

Very interesting on the Reverb deal you've got him working up. Is this something that will you'll plug into the front of your amp? I'm going to go check out the Lynx in a few weeks. If it blows me away, I'm considering making major rig changes. I do have a slight worry of no verb/loop issue if I do it. I figure I won't think too hard about it til I play the Lynx. Let me know how it all shakes out.

8. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

I dont really use many effects, and as long as theyre quiet and true bypass(or on a looper) then I dont mind having them go in the front. To be honest with you, the lynx sounds good enough that adding a lot of effects is similar to adding a lot of sauce to a really expensive steak lol. As far as the verb thing goes, this amps clean channel can really really benefit from it, but the drive channel is perfect as is I believe. I hope you enjoy it when you try it man, I really love mine! At the last show I had it described as sounding like 'a monster truck' via compliment haha.

Ill keep everyone updated on the verb!

9. vchizzle

Yeah, I run my pedals on my hot cat out front too and like the way it sounds. I do use a Lexicon rack in the loop of my VHT for solo type stuff or to sometimes add dimension to single note lines.

10. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

BadCat is doing some really interesting things. I recently bought a Tone Cat and am amazed at it's versatility. It is literally like having two amps. A big Fender style amp will be interesting too. What's next? A Dumble inspired amp :rotflmao

11. straticus

straticus Member

Very interesting. Any idea when it might be showing up at dealers?

12. vchizzle

I find it kinda weird that they are doing XXXX inspired amps. Even though they started doing Matchless remakes(with slight changes), Sampson was involved at that point, so it was logical. I guess I'd rather they do some new designs that aren't inspired or remakes of classic stylings. Granted almost everything now is based off older amps, but still. The Hot Cat, when it came out was pretty original. I suppose the Lynx and Panther are theirs(haven't played either yet). Nevermind, I guess they've done plenty of new designs the past few years. I'm just taken aback a little bit that they're doing "inspired" amps now.