New Badger 30 - Please recommend a good OD for early VH tones.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brett336, Sep 8, 2008.

1. brett336

brett336 Member

Greetings,

I have been enjoying my new Badger 30 and I am looking for some recommendations on a good OD pedal. I am thinking about something that can get me close to the early Van Halen tones - but I am open to other recommendations.

I really like the sound of the amp and I would not want to change it too much. I would just like to get more of it.

I have seen the youTube video and heard the OD pedal demo. The pedal that I liked the most was the Lovepedal - but I am not sure I could get the VH tone out of that pedal.

There are just so many pedals out there when it comes to OD's - any direction would be appriciated!

Much thanks!

BA

2. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

The Wampler Pinnacle absolutely nails it. Plenty of sound samples to check out on Wamplers site. Great pedal.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

Box o' Metal!

EL84 amps seem to be a little picky when it comes to OD. those power tubes seem to handle midrange differently. at any rate, the BoM does a great job for me in the higher gain department. lots of gain on tap, and its pretty easy to get that EVH thing going.

4. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Does the badger 30 not have enough gain on tap to do early VH without a pedal? I've never really thought of VH's early tones as being high gain. I would have thought the badger could do this on its on.

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm thinking of a Badger 30 for myself and I'm trying to get a handle on exactly what it will and won't do.

5. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

Cmatmods Brownie. One of the best BSIAB pedals you'll ever find.

6. brett336

brett336 Member

I have been playing around with the Badger 30 and it seems to have enough gain on tap - But I would not call it a high gain amp.

I think that I need to get to a setting where I can get the speaker moving some air and still have the power scaling still engaged to get some clipping out of the power tubes. That is what I identify as the early VH tone.

I really wanted a good pedal to play around with some very low volume tones. Plus, I like to set the amp up more on the semi-clean side of things and then use a pedel to get some different textures out of the amp. The Badger 30 has a really great clean tone. I really like the character of the clean as you start to drop some of the power on the power tubes.

I just picked up a Pinnacle II from a fellow forum user and I'll see what I think. The sound clips are close to what I am searching for - until the next gas attach...

7. brett336

brett336 Member

I read a lot about treble boosters. Do you think that might work well to get a little more of the good thing that the Badger 30 offers?

The next question would be: Which treble booster?

Thanks

BA

8. brett336

brett336 Member

So I have been useing the Pinnacle II on the Badger 30 and I do like the pedal. I can set up the amp to get me a good clean sound taht has just enough breakup when I roll the volume up and play a little harder. Then I can set the first stage of the Pinnacle to get a great overdive sound. The second stage of the Pinnacle does get me into the distorted sound that works for different applications.

I do like the Pinnacle II a lot for the range of OD and distrotion along with the EQ options - I think that it is a keeper. I do wish that I could get a little more volume range out of it but that is that a big deal for me.

Now, can anyone make a suggestion on a simple boost? Something that can just overdrive the front end without much added color. I saw a Fulltone suggestion (Fat boost) - is that a decent pedal?

Thanks!

BA

9. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Get a good treble booster. If you've never used one, it will blow your mind.

10. Rocket Brother

Rocket Brother Member

A friend of mine has a Badger 30 which I think is a fantastic amp. He uses the amp set up clean/semi clean and then uses a MI Audio Crunch Box for the Marshally side of things. I´ve played it more than a few times and it sounds wonderful, dynamic and rough. His isn´t set up for early VH tones, but I sure it could be done very easily and sound wicked.
    If I ever buy a Badger 30 (and I just might get one) I´ll definately put my MIA CB in front of it.
    Good luk
    RB

11. brett336

brett336 Member

Ok - so it sounds like a good treble booster might be what I want to try next. I find that I like to run the Badger 30 with the gain on 6 and then run the drive higher than the power just enough to give the el34's some character. I can get a clean sound when I play easy that is acceptable to me for the stuff that I like to play. Then I can roll up the volume on my Strat and play a little harder and get some break up that I like.

I am needing an OD (Or treble booster) that can take me to the next level. I'd like to keep the same character of the amp - just get more. I really don't want to add much color to the amp at that point. But a tone or EQ on the pedal might be nice to take any of the fizzy highs out of the signal.

Will a treble booster get me what I need or should keep searching for the right OD?

BA

12. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Brett, just a decent clean boost. I would recommend a vintage MXR mico amp and or DOD 250 analogman mojo 741 mod. Also, a vintage MXR 6 band and or a vintage GE-10 EQ. I wouldn't use a treble boost, per se. A vintage MXR phase 90 will add some
    sizzle. Ed used all of these MXR units, so.... checkem out

13. BigJamesyBoy

BigJamesyBoy Member

14. fish01

fish01 Member

TS9 and a replica.

15. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

A ts9 will never get close to VH tones.... the type amp that is used with the type of pedal is everything.

16. brett336

brett336 Member

Actually, if I could just find a pedal that would take my Badger 30 from 6 on the gain to about an 8.5 just by stomping on the pedal, I would be satisfied.

I am looking for someting that just gives me more a good thing and I feel like on the verge of going though about a $1000 worth of ebay pedals looking for "That" sound in my head.

I know, I know - joint the club :jo

On another note, if anyone has seen this youTube video demo that Pete Thorn has out there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5N88mHMBW0

I would love to know what the overdrive is and what he has in the loop at about 8:50 in the video. I know that he mentions a lot of the effects that he is using but it's unclear to me what combination that he has going on at that point in the demo.

Thanks!

BA

17. slambango

slambango Active Member

Sounds like you're describing the Crowther Hot Cake.

Mellower than the OCD. Retains amp/guitar character. Works as a clean boost, or OD. Jumpers inside allow you to switch from standard to bluesberry mode, and normal or extra bass mode.