New band debut

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by 57tele, Aug 14, 2006.

1. 57tele

57tele Member

Had our first gig after about 6 or 7 rehearsals. A bit rough around the edges but think it's gonna turn out OK. As usual, the rig is my Two Rock "Bill's Sig" CR through an ancient Jensen p12n. The effect in the first track is a q-tron. I also use a Krinardalator and Lexicon in the loop of the TR. Hash before breakfast is a play on the fiddle tune "Whiskey before Breakfast"--the big crunchies/feedback in that tune are the TR with the bypass and OD on. The buzz is courtesy of all the fresnels and neon in the club :)

[FONT=&quot]Hash before Breakfast
    Abacus[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Funky Monkey[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    FWIW, also got some nice pics of the gig, courtesy of photojournalist Rich Cox:

http://richardfcox.smugmug.com/gallery/1759181

The lineup is a side project of a couple guys from Barefoot Manner:

me on guitar and steel
    Hank Smith on banjo
    Leo Kishore on bass
    Bongo Metcalf on drums

[​IMG]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

2. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

that's VERY cool! I like it very much. Kinda half-Celtic, half-Moroccan or something, with a little Bela Fleck and Allman Brothers trhown in. VERY cool!

3. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

First off, I appreciate the fact you guys are obviously spending some time and effort learning some complex parts and then going for it live. The angular lines you arranged in "hash" are very cool. I also enjoy the overall orchestration. Lastly, I think the music sounds really fun, fresh and creative.

Rock On!

4. 57tele

57tele Member

Thanks. It is a pretty funny mix, but that's a reflection of our backgrounds. The banjoista is definitely tuned into the Flecktones thing (he was actually invited to join Leftover Salmon a few years ago, but declined), the bassist is a metal maniac, drummer sort of Bruford-ish, and I'm just an aging Hendrix acolyte.

Thanks. Yeah "going for it" is a good way to describe it. LOL. I've never had a gig where I've had to spend so much damn time with a metronone (and as a kid I did a lot of small chamber orchestra and early music stuff on classical). The guys in the rhythm section are always dropping lines of 7 and 5, so I have to actually count, too. :-( As I said, we didn't completely pull it off, but I think it'll get there. But we definitely feel like we've got an interesting thing going--it sure keeps us interested anyway!!!! :)