New band, second practice

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by pbradt, Aug 12, 2006.

1. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

This is a cheesy recording, a couple AKG condensers hung in the room...but I'm incredibly jazzed about how this sounds after two practices. This is from the second practice. This is the best-sounding band I've ever been in...and this is after two practices.

Keys player is singing (he's the star of the show) ******** I love playing with this guy.

On no money down, it's my Tele through my home-brew Tweed Champ. On "Big V8" it's my Strat. Same amp.

Excuse my clams, Big V8 was a new song, haven't worked rverything out in terms of fill and solos yet.

So the question - would you go see a band that sounds like this? Our first gig is the Walnut festival in Walnut Creek, CA in late September. I'll post a final date when I have one.

Big V8
    No Money Down

What say ye?

2. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

Fun stuff!! Everyone sounds real good! Great tone and playing on the guitar, and the pianist has great boogie chops! :dude

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Sounds great, pbradt. Exactly what I enjoy playing myself. It's nice to hear that the blues is still alive.

Other than the paycheck, watching the ladies shake their package while you play makes gigging worthwhile and that's some definite booty shakin' material.

BTW, I now hear what you're talking about when you sing the praises of tweed. I still love BF but have a strong interest in a Deluxe.

Oh yeah, the room mics are OK by me. The last band I was in we did this frequently. It's low-tech but to me gives more of a live performance sound. Sometimes I think the advanced technology of today takes away from the feel of a good blues show.

Thanks and good luck with the new band.

Greg

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Thanks man!

I think if the band is cookin', as long as you can hear stuff, it's all good. We'll be recording with PT, in part because that way we needn't use an expensive studio but also because I know enough

It's been a long time since I was in a band as the only guitarist. In a way I feel like it's working without a net, but Ray is so good on the piano, it takes a lot of that nervousness away. you can hear ALL the instruments, without it getting muddied up.

With regard to booty-shakin', I always am energized by that. But it's rare that *practice* energizes me. but with this band, it does.

In many ways, Bill, the drummer, is the glue. He's so rock-solid, it frees Ray and I to comp him (when not soloing)

WRT to Tweed amps, If you're interested in building a Deluxe, and you don't want to go to the work of determining what parts are needed and getting them youself (Which will save you a bit of cash), I recommend Marsh Amps.

If you just want to buy an amp, I recommend Clay Hullett in Nashville, TN.

As much as I love Clay (he's become a good friend), I'll build amps from now on.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Hey,

The last band I was in was a trio and I did all the vocals. Talk about responsibility! I love a trio setting but it's tough not to over play. I was always afraid it would sound empty without something happening other than drums & bass. It's a challenge to pick your spots but you get used to it after a while. I would love to have had a keyboard player.

As for practice energizing you. If the guys you're playing with are good enough, the adrenaline will flow even if you're stuck in a basement. The last band was one of those for me. The bass player was stupid-good with an absolutely huge sound. This guy would play chords when necessary with an old Sunn Model T driving a Sunn 2x15 folded horn cab. I've never heard anything like it.

Enough about me.

It sounds as if you guys are on to something.

Best of luck,

Greg

6. chuck_zc

chuck_zc Member

V8 has a great litle groove. The guitar intro sounds lke it could be a sax line. Good stuff.:BEER

7. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Sounds great! I love that cranked tweed tone.

Best,

Martin

8. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

baby C'est Moi

Mumbo Jumbo

By the way, the date for the gig mentioned above is Sept 23, I don't have a time yet, I will after Sept 11.

I like both of these.

9. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Well, given that I'm an authority on this subject - having been rasied in Walnut Creek - I'd say it's a big go daddy-O!

:AOK

10. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Real nice! Great keys!!

11. bigroy

bigroy Member

Sounds great. Slide is nice too, BTW, still working with the slide DVD you sent me. I'm gettin' there.

12. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Hey Bigroy, I hope it's helping. How did you ike "Back To the Well?"

13. TS808

TS808 Member

Nice AND Smooth. You guys sound really tight and sound great as a band! Haven't listened to the second 2 yet, but the first two were the real deal!
    Thanks for sharing those.

14. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Fun stuff, Pete. I love a boogie piano and your slide tone is nasty. The best thing is it sounds like you're really having fun. That's truly what counts!