New Banshee Variant- the Banshee Baritone

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
So back in October, I was playing hookie with my kids sitting at the end of the runway at Mather Field watching the Thunderbirds land when I get a phone call from Scott Holiday. Scott called all excited, they just cut what they knew would be the single for their new album (and it did) but he used a Jerry Jones baritone. "That's cool! I can't wait to hear it..." then Scott asks if I could do a Baritone Banshee.

"uh. No. Not really.

. Well... I guess maybe.

Yeah. Ok I think we can do it"

So I went home, I started thinking it out and drew it out and I could do a 27" scale, 21 fret Banshee that kept the nut position the same as the normal scale and just shifted everything to the bridge side. If it worked out, it would be slick because it kept an already long guitar from getting longer. Then in typical Scott fashion... we took it up a notch.

When we were discussing it, the idea we came up with was crossing a white (black technically) falcon and the old silvertone gold speck finish. I took it one step beyond that, it's tough to capture but I used two different color and flake sizes. Very fine orange and a medium size gold flake Silvertone style. What it really does it is looks like you're looking out into space so we've dubbed it Stargazer.

Sonically it's FANTASTIC. TV Jones Supertron, just a basic "JR". Banshee JR's are always a bit special. We set it up originally with 14's tuned B-B but reset it up at Scotts request with a custom string set from http://thegcs.co/ to help us tune it A-A. Absolutely rippin! This was a very fun guitar, we may end up doing a small limited run of Baritone scale Banshee's. Worked better than I expected.

search tag: kauer, banshee, scott holiday

Shane S

Outstanding @dougk and @fuzzbird. I love baritone guitars. Doug, any idea when you would do the run? 6 months, a year from now? If you ever do a two pickup version of this guitar I would recommend the TV Jones Magna'tron for the neck position. I have one in my Gretsch Spectra Sonic and it kills in the neck position - Big, clear and articulate tone - absolutely no mud. That said, a Junior Baritone must kick ass!

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Outstanding @dougk and @fuzzbird. I love baritone guitars. Doug, any idea when you would do the run? 6 months, a year from now? If you ever do a two pickup version of this guitar I would recommend the TV Jones Magna'tron for the neck position. I have one in my Gretsch Spectra Sonic and it kills in the neck position - Big, clear and articulate tone - absolutely no mud. That said, a Junior Baritone must kick ass!
Probably will only be doing the Baritone on request (cool thing is, we won't really be charging extra for it, maybe 1-200). Magnatron would kick ass in the neck!!

Starting the run of orange sparkle binding Banshee's literally today. Probably 5-6 builders choice versions (a white, a caddy green, a stargazer, a glacier blue and maybe a couple others).

Trending Topics