New Barber Direct Drive Dual Channel / Anyone have one yet ?

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
So... The New Barber Dual Channel Direct Drive has been out for a while... yes ?

I have been waiting to see some input from those who ordered and received theirs already.... and waiting to hear some demo videos. Nothing so far ?

Anyone out there have one yet ? Impressions ?

Any demos available that anyone knows of ?

Hcklr

Silver Supporting Member
I have one. If you're into the direct drive and other barber overdrives there's no way you won't love this one. I've been meaning to record a demo - maybe sometime this week.

lofibrian

Silver Supporting Member
I just saw there is only 100 in the initial run. I'm waiting to snap one up used.

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
I have one. If you're into the direct drive and other barber overdrives there's no way you won't love this one. I've been meaning to record a demo - maybe sometime this week.
I have a Direct Drive... (with the PCB Mod Board). I tried a CDD pedal and felt that it was voice slightly different from my Direct Drive. I preferred mine to the compact one.

Do you have or have you played a regular Direct Drive ? Is there any difference between the sound(s) of the higher gain side of the new Dual Direct Drive pedal and the regular Direct Drive ?

Hcklr

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Direct Drive... (with the PCB Mod Board). I tried a CDD pedal and felt that it was voice slightly different from my Direct Drive. I preferred mine to the compact one.

Do you have or have you played a regular Direct Drive ? Is there any difference between the sound(s) of the higher gain side of the new Dual Direct Drive pedal and the regular Direct Drive ?
Hey - you could sorta say I collect Barber overdrives - so I have a bunch of different Direct Drives actually. I have a regular Direct Drive and to my ear the Dual DD is a little more open and modern sounding and has more gain than a standard Direct Drive. Some day I just need to line them all out and do a video comparing them all.

Of them all I think the compact Direct Drive has the most gain.

Having said all that - these are pretty subtle differences in a loud band mix and a lot more noticeable when you're checking out the tones back to back at home.

Last edited:

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Hckler.... thanks very much for your input.

Yea... I bought this DD and then bought and tried a number of others after that.. including the Custom Cool, the CDD, and a Direct Drive w/o the Mod Board. They all sounded slightly different to me. I kept the original one with the Mod board.

Your description of the new Dual DD sounds interesting. I think I might like the more open sound. I found the CDD to be somehow "thinner" sounding on top then my DD.

But my DD is pretty mid and bottom thick as well. It has stayed when many other pedals have not... but I would be interested in the new Dual pedal. And of course having a second, lower gain side is a plus as well.

Yea... a demo of all of them side by side would be outstanding. Especially if it was through some kind of relatively clean amp... like a BF fender type. So the tone of each pedal, and the subtle differences in tone can be clearly heard.

Hcklr

Silver Supporting Member
Hckler.... thanks very much for your input.

Yea... I bought this DD and then bought and tried a number of others after that.. including the Custom Cool, the CDD, and a Direct Drive w/o the Mod Board. They all sounded slightly different to me. I kept the original one with the Mod board.

Your description of the new Dual DD sounds interesting. I think I might like the more open sound. I found the CDD to be somehow "thinner" sounding on top then my DD.

But my DD is pretty mid and bottom thick as well. It has stayed when many other pedals have not... but I would be interested in the new Dual pedal. And of course having a second, lower gain side is a plus as well.

Yea... a demo of all of them side by side would be outstanding. Especially if it was through some kind of relatively clean amp... like a BF fender type. So the tone of each pedal, and the subtle differences in tone can be clearly heard.
I would agree that the Compact Direct Drive (and the Direct Drives in general) are bassy - I usually play them with the treble WAY up. I'll say this about the Dual Direct Drive - the low gain side on it is even MORE bassy - it's not in a bad way - but it is darker than the higher gain side.

If I do a video it'll be through a Dr Z M12 probably - that amp just seems to get out of the way and let the pedals do their thing.

David B

Silver Supporting Member
I would agree that the Compact Direct Drive (and the Direct Drives in general) are bassy - I usually play them with the treble WAY up. I'll say this about the Dual Direct Drive - the low gain side on it is even MORE bassy - it's not in a bad way - but it is darker than the higher gain side.
You should be able to find a close balance using the presence trims that are inside for each channel.

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member

If I do a video it'll be through a Dr Z M12 probably - that amp just seems to get out of the way and let the pedals do their thing.
That would be great !