New BC Rich Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Green Pro Am, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I recently picked up a used 2005 Mockingbird Supreme, It was an impulse purchase. Since I can remember I have always wanted a nice Rich, and I just happened to find this one at a great price.

I have got to say this thing is awesome. Great fit and finish with awesome playability. This has got to be the easisest slinkiest string bending guitar I have ever played. The only playability issue is that it balances a little neck heavy. Very similar to a SG. A suede strap helps quite a bit.

It has beautiful quilt top with some very unique electronics. Like most CS Riches, it has the partial active layout. However instead of having the built in preamp, this one has a built in Fulltone Clyde Wah. It is a bit difficult to modulate the wah and play; however, I typically roll the knob to the sweet spot and then engage the wah with mini toggle. I can get some really cool sounds when I engage both the wah and the out of phase switch run simultaneously.

All in all its a kick butt guitar that compares very favorably to what I have bought recently from Suhr, Anderson, and PRS.

2. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I always wanted a Bich 12 string. Just a cool, cool guitar.

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Wow! Pics! I've been thinking about those sweet 70's Mockinbirds for a while now. Dare I ask how much it cost you?

Has anybody tried those Korean "Vintage" Mockinbirds? They look good but may not be on par in build quality or what say ye?

4. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

I had an '86 Eagle ... loved everything about it but the neck - very thin. How are the new generation USA BCR's ... thin or more of a traditional C shape ?

HT

5. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I need to voice my opinion on this one. About 3 years ago I ordered a BC Rich Bich 10 string supreme. I always wanted one but only recently had the money for one. I tried to find a good used one but they don't come up that often so I decieded to go new. I placed the order, shelled out a decent downpayment and about 2 years later I got a damged guitar. All I can say is you got lucky finding a used one because dealing with their custom shop is a nightmare.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

I believe they have been bought out since you last dealt with them. Of course Bernie Sr. died, and I think Bernie Jr. sold out and started another company.

7. LTE

LTE Member

I had the Mockingbird and a Bich. Both played great. I sold them to help finance a Sweet 16 (though bills have eaten away at that!)

I replaced the pickups in both. Dimarzio Virtual Hot PAF and Air Classic for the Bich and Duncan Jazz and JB for the Mockingbird. These are great upgrades for the guitars.

I still long for them in a way.

8. cSuttle

cSuttle Member

Yes, the Rico's are no longer in charge of B.C.Rich. There use to be a BC Rich forum, but they shut it down because everyone was trashing the new custom shop. I'm glad the one you got rocked. That is most awsome, but some of the stories from people who has purchased Rich from the new custom shop were pretty scary. Almost made Ed Roman look good (I said almost).

If I were looking at a custom shop Rich I would go with an 80's model. Those rocked. My son has one and it is an amazing guitar.

9. Fripperton

Fripperton Member

I'd advise looking around for an original from the late 70's early 80's. I still have my 1978 Eagle I got new. It's one of the best guitars I've ever had. It has a maple neck with koa sides. I bought it at a music store on Fairfax in LA. I tried every guitar in the shop and came home with this one which the owner didn't seem to be in too much of a hurry to part with.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. GoGoGuitars

GoGoGuitars Member

I love B.C. Rich. back in the day I use to collect them. I was up to about 25 at one time. Had everything from a Candy Apple red 10 string Bitch to one of the first double necks they ever made. So early they didn't even put serial numbers on it because they made so few. The early one's are awesome guitars. Congrats!

11. Fripperton

Fripperton Member

Mine didn't have a serial number either. They identified it as "the maple/koa Eagle" on the sales slip.

12. johndara

johndara Member

Not the best of pictures, but since we're talking B.C. Rich's....Here's my "old style mockingbird" purchased in March of 1980. Purchased brand new for $850.00 with the case. Changed the original machine heads (which I still have) to Grovers and swapped the Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup for a Bill Lawerence L500.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

[​IMG]

Yah!!
    I loved Mocks since I saw Craig Chaquigo with his on a very old GP issue ('77?).
    Incidentally the one pictured above would be for sale... (pls don't question hard-to-bear decisions...)

JJ

14. Green Pro Am

15. Green Pro Am

16. Green Pro Am

17. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

How does the ten-string thing on some BC Riches work? I've never understood that.

18. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

The 6 standard strings are just like a regular guitar tuned the same way. The 4 additional strings go with the E B G and D and are pretty much tuned like the secondary strings on a 12 string.