New Bit of Bias Head Propaganda

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Just got this in my inbox
Well done IMO. Like a traditional modeller and Kemper in one. It's still not for me, but I see how someone who already had their effects set might go for one of these over the $1K more expensive Kemper powered head.
-
Austin

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Neato. How many amps can be stored and recalled at a time?
No idea. The word "thousands" shows up on their product page a bunch, but I'm not seeing any specs on how many presets can be stored on-unit at a time.

Also, I was watching the FAQ videos on their website and it appears BIAS head cannot output a signal with the cab modeling on in some outputs and the cab modeling off for other outputs. That seems like a mind-boggling fail to me.
-
Austin

Last edited:

Phnurt

Gold Supporting Member
Just got this in my inbox
Well done IMO. Like a traditional modeller and Kemper in one. It's still not for me, but I see how someone who already had their effects set might go for one of these over the $1K more expensive Kemper powered head.
-
Austin
I have no experience with Bias but extensive time in with Amplitube 3 and TH2 so I can vouch for the excellence of modern software modeling. This hybrid software/hardware all over the place nowadays (happy helix guy here) has got to have traditional amp makers stressing out at least a little. Not gonna sell my tube amp any time soon but I can see the day coming down the road.

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
No idea. The word "thousands" shows up on their product page a bunch, but I'm not seeing an specs on how many presets can be stored on-unit at a time.

Also, I was watching the FAQ videos on their website and it appears BIAS head cannot output a signal with the cab modeling on in some outputs and the cab modeling off for other outputs. That seems like a mind-boggling fail to me.
-
Austin
It sure does seem like a big fail. Perhaps this really is meant to be a studio device and not for gigging? From what I gathered, sounds were saved and loaded via USB?

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
It sure does seem like a big fail. Perhaps this really is meant to be a studio device and not for gigging? From what I gathered, sounds were saved and loaded via USB?
If it wasn't for gigging, they wouldn't have needed to build in a 600 watt power amp into it. And in that case, an obvious scenario would be to run the unit through a cab onstage with cab modeling off and through FOH with cab modeling on. Like I said, mind boggling.
-
Austin

scook

Silver Supporting Member
If it wasn't for gigging, they wouldn't have needed to build in a 600 watt power amp into it. And in that case, an obvious scenario would be to run the unit through a cab onstage with cab modeling off and through FOH with cab modeling on. Like I said, mind boggling.
-
Austin
Right... So essentially you need a passive FRFR cabinet... Or you have to actually mic your guitar cabinet.

Astonishingly dumb.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
No idea. The word "thousands" shows up on their product page a bunch, but I'm not seeing an specs on how many presets can be stored on-unit at a time.

-
Austin
Agreed!
So much a killjoy and fail if you can't run emulation through the line out while the cab is disabled on the speaker out. Ridiculous and a poor design if this is the case. That is a deal breaker for me as I was considering it at some point. Massive oversight. I wonder if all 125+ people who preordered knew this before they ordered....

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Guess we'll find out for sure when the manual or unit itself is released.
-
Austin

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
I asked. Their reply:
"cab modeling enable is indeed switchable via the switch on the front of the amp. All outs will be either cab modeling on or cab modeling off, depending on that switch."

:facepalm

jdalf

I think it may do well in the market. They've already presold about as many units as number of active posters in this forum.

nother demo

LeicaBossNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Out of ignorance, I still don't quite get the product and what makes it special.

It is basically BIAS software modeling in a solid state amp with knobs?

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Out of ignorance, I still don't quite get the product and what makes it special.

It is basically BIAS software modeling in a solid state amp with knobs?
Doesn't the Bias software give you effects as well? The Bias head doesn't; it's just amps and cans.
-
Austin

Trending Topics