New Black Pearl, need suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rycher, Apr 30, 2008.

1. rycher

rycher Member

Hi all. After reading all the reviews here and other places I finally got a Genz Benz Black Pearl 1x12 combo. It arrived today, unfortuneatly too late in the day for me to get too spend much time with. I did get to mess around with it for about 20 minutes and think I'm going to like her. I immediately dialed in some great clean tones, not much to dial. I was just wondering if any of you fellow Black Pearl owners had some suggestions as far as getting a good "crunch" (ac/dc neighborhood) tone at lower levels. I'm not too familiar with the triode/pentode setting, which do most of you prefer? Also, do you use the Master volume or the main volume to control how loud your playing while trying to get good distortion at lower volumes? I know I need to experiment myself and I will, but if anyone has some settings they like for 80's type rock, I welcome your opinion.

2. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

Hi rycher,
    You're gonna love that amp. It is one of the best kept secrets around. The overdrive in this amp is a thing of beauty. If i could afford it i wiuld have one to run clean and one dirty. I have had mine for a few months and am still experimenting, but I can tell you that Triode mode is quite a bit darker than pentode mode and will thicken things up a bit. AC/DC type crunch could be acheived on the boost channel by running your volume at about 9.00, boost at about 12.00 and the master at wherever the volume is good. As I said Triode mode will be darker/thicker but if you want some spank in your sound, keep it in Pentode mode. I only play single coil guitars so these setting may not be quite right, but it should be a good start. See how you go and let us know your thoughts after you have played it for a while.
    Cheers.

3. rycher

rycher Member

Thanks Maniac. We're working a shutdown right now so it's pretty much work and sleep. I'm so tempted to call in sick tommorrow so I can have some time with the amp.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

The suggested settings in the manual are quite good, the only "tip" I can offer as far as "lower volumes" go is that the Master Volume doesn't really open up & start sounding good until about 10:00 on the dial, and that's not quiet... I personally don't like triode mode & keep in pentode always, but the 2-tube mode works VERY well at cutting the volume down some. I'd say 2-tubes, MV wherever for the volume you want, then to help open the amp up (a low MV setting tends to choke it), use your Top & Treble controls to add some air & clarity back in. As I turn the MV down, I always turn the Treble/Top UP, and vica-versa.

5. rycher

rycher Member

Thanks Ruger, I'm really not trying to sound lazy by asking, I just knew some of you have had your BP's long enough to have found some good settings. Right now I'm lucky to pick a guitar up, hopefully we'll get through this shutdown at work and I'll get some time off.

6. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

I have o agree with ruger. I use the 2 tubes mode to lower the volume and it does a great job of it. I can run tha master at 12 & the volume at about 10 during worship services and it is the perfect volume.

7. Miles

Miles Member

Also, if you're running any pedals, the "voicing" feature is a thing of beauty. It allows you to dial in any complimentary tone for the pickup configuration while beefing up or adding cut to certain pedals. This amp is a total sound crafting tool. My 2x12 has been my main gigging amp for 18 months and while the amp overdrive is AWESOME, I tend to dial in a broken up clean and I run a RAT pedal in from there. The pentode/triode modes also offer up all kinds of tonal variations from sultry and dark to spanky and bright. It is just a very complex yet simplistic working man's amp that sounds fabulous. It can make any guitar sound awesome.

Hint...I dare you to overdrive the crap out of this thing with a P-90 loaded guitar...you'll never want to buy anything else again...for rock n roll that is.

8. rycher

rycher Member

Thanks again for all the replies. I sacrificed some sleep today to spend some more time with the BP and try some of the suggestions. I still have a LOT of exploring to do, but this baby has me grinning from ear to ear. I got some very good crunch at low volumes, though it is nicer at a little louder than "bedroom" levels. Two tubes in pentode as suggested seems to be the ticket. The voicing control really is fantastic for dialing in a particular guitar to the amp. I have as of yet to get a bad tone out of this amp. The cleans on this amp are to die for. I'm really stoked I purchased this amp, count wait to get home to do some more tweaking, though as I said earlier, I don't think I'm going to get a bad sound out of it.

9. stump

stump Member

If you get Guitar Player magazine look at the Brent Mason settings in the Ad for the amp- it's a sweet tone (all o'clock-vol 9- boost on-boost vol 11-voicing thick-bass 2-mid10-treble 11-top 11- reverb 9- master vol 3) season to taste. I run this with four tubes but it sounds fine with two. Otherwise don't be afraid to try some different and exaggerated settings to see what this thing can do. As well, the speaker changes a bit as it breaks in and you'll be dialing in a bit different than day one. This amp has displaced all of my others. Enjoy!

10. rycher

rycher Member

Hey Stump, I have the last issue with that ad. I never thought about it but that's a pretty good way to get some settings.

11. omghi2u

omghi2u Member

Hey Rycher, I picked mine up for $850 on craigslist like 2 months ago and I'm pretty confident that you'll enjoy it. I sold all my pedals and excess gear afterwards because the tone is that good.

I just use it on Pentode w/2 tubes although I have experimented with 4. Not too much difference there 'cept volume and breakup but I don't worry about that too much cuz' I play mostly bedroom levels. I find the Triode mode kinda dull to use.

For normal rhythm, I keep the volume @ 12 (o' clock), Voicing is on Normal, EQs are usually flat but I do turn the mids up a tick or two. The great thing about it is you can get an awesome sound out of the box without screwing around with the EQs too much. I never turn the Top past 12 cuz' it'll start to get sharp and brittle tones. Reverb around 10-11. It sounds pretty clean for the most part with a hint of breakup. You just can't beat that EL-84 breakup.

For lead, I just use the boost switch w/boost level @ 2-3. It's quite a volume jump but all I can say is WOW when I hit the footswitch.

For a Santana-esque overdrive tone, I just put the voicing on Thick, EQs are bass11 mid2 treb11 with top9 while having the boost engaged and using master vol to adjust overall volume.

Miles: I'll second that. I bought this off of a guy who had a Tele with P-90s and almost creamed myself from playing it at his house. I'm thinking about picking up one of those korean Agile LPs with P-90s for $200-300. This amp seems to adapt to different kinds of pickups very well.

12. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Got mine last Saturday. What an amp! I am addicted to the crunch on this beautiful amp. Volume at 3pm, bass at 3pm, mid at 3pm (read manual mids increase gain too) treble on 11am, master wherever I want it. I use all tubes and love the thick and natural channels. What a creamy smoooooooth overdrive. No pedals needed.

I'm ordering a switchraft amp switcher tonight. Going to use the BP for crunch and another for clean.

13. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

I'll be the 1st person to sing the praises of the Black Pearl 30 in every way except 1. My experience is that all that fantastic tone turns into dog poo if I try to use the FX loop! Anyone else experience this or can tell me how to make things better?

I'm only piping a Line 6 MM4, a Boss GE7, and a Line 6 DL4 throught the loop but they absolutely kill the tone.

14. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Yeah, I put my delay in the loop and the tone changed. Works great in front of the amp though. I really love this amp.

15. stump

stump Member

I run a Boss DD20 in my loop with no issues at all. My EQ and Chorus suck though. A friend of mine hated his T REX with the BP and ended up getting a DD20 instead.