New Blackheart, 15 watts this time!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SeeMoore, Jan 11, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

And another...

[​IMG]

2. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

The man behind the ton is Pyotr Belov... that's enough to peak my interest.

3. pepi

pepi Member

:jo I just noticed these are made by Crate :messedup

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im tired of the "Crate hate". My V32 while maybe not the best built amp is a great sounding one. I couldnt ask for more in a 30 watt tube amp that cost less than 500$ Bob

5. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I wonder if the Killer Ant has any headroom at all?

Very very interesting... Ever since I read about the DIY "firefly" amp (ax84), and also the Little Lanilei, I've been waiting for the big makers to jump on the "bedroom bandwagon", with fractional-watt amps. But few have. Very very interesting...

6. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

looks good on paper

7. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I picked up a 1-12 combo about two months ago. And while the honeymoon period is still in effect, there is nothing but good things for me to say about this amp.

I run it with a 4-12 speaker cab, and sometimes two. The stock speaker sounds just fine, for a pick up and go amp as well.

This amp reminds me of a maxed out plexi, at just the right volume. Not earth shattering, but still loud. Wether its loud enough for a band or live setting is up to you.

The note seperation is magnificent, the clean sounds are very good, and overdriven with the volume at 7 and beyond is pure old school Marshall to me. The build quality of mine is outstanding, especially at this price point. Regardless of the slam that Crate can get at times, this amp has nothing that reminds me of an inferior product.

When I got it, I immediately removed the tubes, which are always the weakest point in mass produced amps, replacing them with an old Mullard el84, and a JJ pre amp tube. This minor change made a significant difference, but the stock tubes did not suck. Just my preference to change because I had a single el 84 hanging around. This made it very much old school sounding to me, and was a change that I would make if I bought one. The bitch I had was changing the tubes meant removing 11 screws off the back panel, and accessing the chassis, but really only about ten minutes with a screw gun.

Playing with just a fulldrive 2, and a delay pedal, it nailed so many good tones that you end up playing for a lot longer, not an uncommon situation when you find a decent tone, but this thing really delivered for me.

Having a slew of vintage Marshalls, and cabs, I had a reference point to make my analogy. No, I'm not bailing out on the Marshall thang, but for 250 bucks, I have not seen another amp that makes me feel the way this one does.

Is it for everybody? No, probably not, but it is priced about the same as a good pedal, and it just flat out rocks!

8. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Those who judge this amp based on the manufacturer will be the ones losing out. Belov builds great amps... a few people who actually own or heard a Belov creation know this.

The fact that Belov works for Crate is great... he can concentrate on design while Crate makes them.

9. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Well, the 5 watter sure got a glowing review in the new Guitar World.

To quote "Frankly, I don't know how they do it, but "affordable boutique" is finally here."

10. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I'm not set up to post clips, in fact I dont own any recording gear at all sad to say.

My opinion is based on about the last 60 days or so, playing it over and over. Take into consideration that this is MY take on it. Contrarian views will surface so take it all with a grain of salt.

11. Electric I

Electric I Member

I'll be getting the 15W combo regardless. The fact that it's made/distributed by crate means nothing to me.

12. michaelscott

michaelscott Member

i was wondering the same thing... in light of this, anybody have anything to share on headroom in the 5w? say, maybe in comparison for a valve jr?

just curious b/c many ive read about like the valve junior, they just wish for eq and all, but i wonder if thats effected the gain staging- less headroom, more headroom, exact same amp + eq?

either way, i really like the 15w idea... i was really hoping epi might make their 15w in a head, not just a combo, something that had just a tad more volume/headroom...

i think that article said these come out in april...

13. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

This certainly knocks the Orange Tiny Terror of the list as far a price goes. (Think EL84, 15/7 watt switch) Has more in the EQ department ( that, of course, may be a good or bad thing )

14. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

15. pepi

pepi Member

Wonder why there is no effects loop on the 7/15 watt model :puh

16. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

"Rear panel speaker outputs can accommodate 1x16-ohm, 2x8-ohm and 2x4-ohm setups."

Does this mean you won't be able to use a single 8 ohm speaker cab with this head? That would suck.

17. Electric I

Electric I Member

Yeah... kinda disappointing. I see a mod in my future...

18. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i've heard a couple of clips and the thing sounds better than many clips i've heard in some places, of course the guy playing could really play.

19. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

so maybe he would have sounded good thru another amp, but as i said, it sounded very good