New Blackheart, 15 watts this time!

LHakim

I'm not set up to post clips, in fact I dont own any recording gear at all sad to say.

My opinion is based on about the last 60 days or so, playing it over and over. Take into consideration that this is MY take on it. Contrarian views will surface so take it all with a grain of salt.
Based on the clip I've heard, the BH, even when dimed, sounds like it has less gain than a maxed out plexi.

Relicula

Silver Supporting Member
Look, its not a plexi, its a little 5 watt 250 dollar amp that sounds pretty good to me, comparisons that I made are for reference reasons.

My comments are based on hearing the amp, not clips.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Well, the 5 watter sure got a glowing review in the new Guitar World.

To quote "Frankly, I don't know how they do it, but "affordable boutique" is finally here."
One word...CHINA

bluescube

Silver Supporting Member
Please leave the cork-sniffing at the door.......

This is GREAT news to those of us who don't have lots of disposable income.

I love my Crate Palomino V32 and I may see about this new 15 watt amp next year or so.

I didn't get the 5 watter since it didn't have a master volume for low level playing at home.

jamison162

Where can I pick up the 15 watt head? I want to put a small rig together for home and church use since my RV50 and open back 2x12 doesn't work for that.

I plan on using the 15 watt head and an Avatar 1x12 (closed back) with a greenback, blue, or g12H30 depending on the way it's voiced. I'll be putting JJ EL84's and TS 12AX7's in there.

Just looking for a decent small wattage tube amp to give me nice, warm, and decent clean headroom for running my pedals. Are there any other options out there for this application?

SeeMoore

Where can I pick up the 15 watt head? I want to put a small rig together for home and church use since my RV50 and open back 2x12 doesn't work for that.

I plan on using the 15 watt head and an Avatar 1x12 (closed back) with a greenback, blue, or g12H30 depending on the way it's voiced. I'll be putting JJ EL84's and TS 12AX7's in there.

Just looking for a decent small wattage tube amp to give me nice, warm, and decent clean headroom for running my pedals. Are there any other options out there for this application?
Not available untill April, I'm waiting also..:bkw

theHoss

I listened to a couple of guys on these amps @ NAMM, and they really were killer. I was blown away when I saw the MAP price. I am going to pick one up for sure.

02Singlecut

Played the whole line @ NAMM. For the $$$ cool amps. I wanted it to be killer.......but as far as tone didn't really impress me. I like the idea that these companies are hearing us musicians say......"HOW MUCH??" Bottom line..... they worked..... sounded above average...and I'm sure there will be tons of mods out as soon as they start hitting the retailers. I would have liked to have plugged the 15 watter into a cab with a great speaker in it. That want still has me interested for sure!!!! Kudos to Crate/BH for something inexpensive that responded to musicians wants !!!!! :BEER

M

Member 37136

Here are my clips: http://www.soundclick.com/watty

The second clip is the Handsome Devil I have on loan from Blackheart. It's the same little riff played at 7w with the gain on 5; 7w with the gain on 10; 15w with the gain on 5; and 15w with the gain on 10. I'm not real happy with the recording - it sounds much better "live," but it gives you a taste of what the amp can do when it's driven. I'll post some clean clips at the same site later. The first one, "Transponder", is the 5w/3w Giant Killer.

And to whoever asked about hum, I detect nothing but a little hiss when the thing is dimed.

I've also played the Killer Ant, and no, there's not much headroom. But the little thing just oozes tube distortion at near-conversational volume.

trumpus

Silver Supporting Member
I thought I caught a picture from NAMM where there was another, even bigger head - as in something with more knobs than the new 15W'er

Am I mistaken?

Brian

M

Member 37136

Here are two more Blackheart Handsome Devil clips. Click on "Setting Out" and "Vision Shifts." http://www.soundclick.com/watty

Both were done clean. Strat and lap steel into the 15w combo, Sennheiser evolution flat mic straight into the board. Some tremolo/reverb here and there.

bluescube

Silver Supporting Member
Crate is really redeeming themselves with this Blackheart line of amps. I'm really impressed with my now discontinued Palomino V32 too.

jamison162

Anyone have pics of the back of the combos; how open are they. I really need closed back for my situation, but if the combos aren't too open they might work as well.

rivaeast

Im tired of the "Crate hate". My V32 while maybe not the best built amp is a great sounding one. I couldnt ask for more in a 30 watt tube amp that cost less than 500$ Bob
Couldn't agree more... I have a v32, a v58 and now a Blackheart .... all very nice sounding amps.... I'm a casual player and don't gig with all mine but the tone of these amps is quite good.

Trending Topics