New Blackheart Little Giant

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riefil, Feb 14, 2012.

1. riefil

riefil Member

Hey gang:

Have this little beast for about 2 weeks now. A couple of things I've noticed so far:

1) For a 5 watter it has a surprising amount of headroom(almost more than I'd like)
    2) The 3 watt mode changes the tone quite a bit (in a good way)
    3) Takes pedals nicely.
    4) Changing the preamp tube helped a bit
    5) It seems to let the guitar's tone shine through
    6) It's fricken Heavy!!!(for a 5 watter)
    7) Quite a bright amp

2. Gearaddict

Gearaddict Member

It is a Great amp for small bars and coffee houses.

Nice score! It is awesome.

3. riefil

riefil Member

The best part is, I picked it up for $159 virtually new.

Thinking about changing the power tube. Any suggestions?

4. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

I had one for a while. Great sounding amp for the money.

5. stetyrrell

stetyrrell Member

I had one at one stage, great amp. Found it to be too loud to get a decent driven sound out of it, especially with single coils.

6. boost

boost Member

Tung Sol preamp and JJ EL84 is what I had in mine. It kicked through a 4 X 12. Liked P-90's the best.

7. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

They might not get a lot-of-love, but for a "knock-around", grab-an-go, amp that will easily do a small gig,,it's a big bang for the buck.
    I use mine for small jams, etc.,and with a couple of NOS tubes, and a vintage Jensen P12Q,,it won't give-up much, if anything, to the other 5 watt amps,,and cost a lot less.

8. riefil

riefil Member

thanks,i think i have a JJ el84 laying around

9. t***9

t***9 Silver Supporting Member

I put old Mullards in my Little Giant with a good improvement over the JJ 12AX7/EI EL84 combination that was in it. Also had the Bitmo Little Giant Triple Mods kit installed with good results and a more versatile sound. Thru my M75 Scumback (25W) this amp now sounds real good with a sweet top end.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  10. riefil

riefil Member

BTW I am assuming that the fact that it is a single power tube, no biasing is necessary. Does anyone know if this is indeed the case?

Thanks for the previous responses.

11. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

Yes from what I have read, no Biasing is needed.

This is a great little amp. Been using a YGL1 for a while and had a jam at my place last night so pulled out the Little G out for the other guitarist. Set it on 3 watts cause this player likes it loud, so was hoping to keep him under control. No luck! He was making our drummer work hard and the whole band loud.

Don't let anyone tell you this thing is for practice and smal gigs. It is loud and clear even on 3 watts!

12. sanrico

sanrico Member

I had the mini-stack for a while and really liked it pushed with an overdrive pedal. I was using it for band practice so I wouldn't have to lug the Marshall 1/2 stack around. It made me honestly consider using it full-time. And it was so easy to tote around!

13. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

This is great to hear, I'm buying a blackheart handsome devil 15 watt and my main concern wa it wouldn't be loud enough In a band situation with a drummer, seems like the 15 watts will be perfect

14. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

I've really cut back on the wattage over the last couple of years. I used to use 40 W amps and would keep them really clean then add my distortions et cetera. But now I like to use a 15 W amp and get it up into a range where it is working a little harder. That being said I have difficulty doing that with a 15 W amp and keeping the volume at a reasonable level. That is where it is handy to have a gain knob, or the wattage reduction setting.

I'm sure you will love the handsome devil. I was really pining for a couple years ago, but they didn't have the combo in my city anywhere.

15. Mantraoverdrive

Mantraoverdrive Member

These amps rock! I must say that they become even better when you upgrade the circuit board, and add tube rectification. There is a kit from mojotone that drops in. You only have about 4 watts, and the 3/5 watt switch becomes a standby switch. I will try and post some clips, but my Little Giant became huge after doing that mod. The cleans are amazing, and my amp tech who installed mine said that the circuit board resembles old Fender Blackface boards. Point to Point solid and sounds 10 times better than the LG as is. Try it. Mod is only about $85.

16. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

Bitmo is your friend. Turns these from a one trick pony into a good small club amp on the cheap.

17. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

So it's only 4 watts with the mod, but it changes the sound to a cleaner brighter sound?

18. Mantraoverdrive

Mantraoverdrive Member

More defined and the amp doesn't hit saturation near as early when pushed. I wouldn't say brighter maybe because the amp still uses 12ax7 and EL84. Definitely sounds more Fender than Marshall

19. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

Cool, thanks, I'll check it out.

20. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

Is the unwired kit safe for someone that doesn't do much soldering or work on amps? I'm basically a "follow the pictures" kind of guy, and if it's all laid out clearly, I'd try it.