New Blues Jr. woes, can you help? Fried

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JackButler, Feb 20, 2006.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Just got hoem with a Fender Bleus jr (tweed!) that I got at a closeout price at GC today, so no returns. Anyway, 5 minutes at home and it goes into a high pitched squeal that faded out, now the amp is dead. The tibes still glow, I checked the fuses and they look good, and the amp lights up, no sound.
    So a friend told me that this model is known for going through tubes, but I have none to test in it. GC said to bring it back and they would either send it in for repair or have another store ship them a replacement.
    Wondering if anyoen might know what that crazy high pitched squeal was and if that is a common thing when a tube goes.
    Thansk for your help.

2. mrshanno

mrshanno Member

If no one answers here...I would recommend you pose the question on the fenderforum.com page, specifically in the "Blues Junior mafia" thread they have there on the 1985 amps and younger forum. Lots of guys can help there...

3. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip!

4. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

Very interesting symptom. Haven't seen it before in several hundred BJ's.

I would start by checking pre-amp tubes, simple substituition might be the easy way to go. I would go in with a volt meter and see what was conducting tubes-wise- but that's just my way.

Additionally it could be a socket and not a tube...

Be us advised as this is the first example I've heard of this symptom occurring...

Best,
    Jon

5. Grady

Grady Windjammer Gold Supporting Member

Something like that happen to my Blues junior. The speaker was unplugged. Luckly no damage. Plugged it back in and it played.