New board RAT / OCD / BD-2 / Daddy-O, opinions / what would you do / change?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by topperdoggle, Aug 13, 2019.

1. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

Photo of board at end of post. :)

After many moons jamming and not being in bands, I find myself with a semi-regular gig in a standard 70s-90s rock / funk / blues cover band. We're talking Floyd / Hendrix, Neil Young, Born to be Wild, Play That Funky Music, the usual type of classics. I don't own an amp (and don't intend to buy one unless this becomes regular), so the plan is make a board that will do well with whatever I find at the venue (often a Hot Rod Deluxe). I haven't used many of these pedals for a long time, as at home I have the luxury of an Axe-Fx II.

I will sometimes need cleanish tones, but I'll mostly be crunching to *really* crunching. I plan to set the amp clean and use the BD-2 for a touch of hair, the OCD to get (very) crunchy, and the RAT for borderline fuzz and heavy riffs / screaming leads. Also the BD-2 can provide a gain boost to the OCD or RAT, and the GE-7 a mid-boost to help solos sit where they should in the room.

I'd love to get feedback from those who have experience with similar situations and experiences - how would you use the three dirt pedals in this context, and is there anything you would change? A short test using the AxeFx as a clean amp left me underwhelmed with the RAT - a pedal I have owned for a long time but never used much. I suspect that I really need to try the RAT through a real amp with the band playing next to me. Small club volumes, not stadiums... I am well aware that bedroom tones don't cut it live or in a mix, so I'd like to give it a chance, but I hope it won't give me headaches on the night. Having said that, if I can't make it work I can always turn up the drive on the OCD and / or boost the OCD with the BD-2.

I have a Danelectro Daddy-O, Boss OD-3, and a DOD 250 on the shelf that I could swap in. I'm wondering if Daddy-O for RAT might make sense, as I expect it will be easier for me to find tones I like. Then again, if I never try the RAT in battle, I'll never give it a fair chance. I should state that my spare time is limited, I don't expect short-cuts, but endless tweaking isn't my idea of a good time.

NB Many of the pedals have Allums mods. :)

The CR-7 chorus is set to "vintage", the DL-8 delay to "analog", and the RV-8 reverb to "plate", they'll be used in moderation when at all. Chorus is mainly for Purple Rain, delay for adding depth to Floydy-stile solos, reverb in the event that the amp reverb is broken (happens a fair bit).

Anyway, all comments welcome! Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

monty, amdowell, Fretlessbaby and 2 others like this.
  2. jackson

jackson Member

it looks like a good start. see if it works, and then tweak as necessary. I like to have a clean boost, but that's me.

3. wannabeatle

wannabeatle Supporting Member

Rat should work really great for you live- that extreme bass cut and brightness are awesome for solos in a full band context. Great board!

4. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

The GE-7 will be clean enough for this context. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement - you can probably tell it's a bit of an unknown quantity to me which makes me a bit nervous. Somehow it is supposed to be so versatile yet hard to dial in - these seem contradictory to me. Hope it will work for riffs and solos!

wannabeatle likes this.
  5. wannabeatle

wannabeatle Supporting Member

Hey, if you’re finding you don’t dig the rat for whatever reason, I think your backup plan (cranking the gain on the OCD, or boosting it with the BD-2) is a solid one. Plus I’ve found all 3 pedals work well with a wide variety of amps.

6. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

I think I originally thought of the three dirt pedals as low, medium, and high drive. Just maybe, the OCD and RAT *both* cover the medium / high territory, but in different ways which I have to understand better.

AXXA likes this.
  7. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Nice HardWire selection! Looks like most bases covered. Maybe a wah?

Fretlessbaby likes this.
  8. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

I like them - cheap, versatile, and built like tanks. Potential down side is that they have too many options or I have too little time to really explore them, but I'm definitely not a modulation snob, I just need it to be simple and supportive.

My Vox wah is off-board, but will be coming with me. 847a with true bypass, LED, and some other mod that I don't remember.

Fretlessbaby and MogwaiBoy like this.
  9. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Huge fan of the Hardwires, especially the DL-8 <3

Fretlessbaby likes this.
  10. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

As far as the drives on your board go I have a similar set up and how I would use what you have is:

Blues Driver: set gain at 9 o'clock and level to a noticeable volume increase and use the pedal as a volume boost for clean leads. And also as a boost into the OCD or Rat pedal.

The OCD: would be my mid gain crunch tone pedal.

The Rat would be for my highest gain requirements.

Gaheba likes this.
  11. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

You didn’t mention what guitar(s) you use with this setup - that’s slightly important. ;)

Personally, I find that two overdrive and distortion pedals do the trick - use one as a mid-boost for solos and the other for medium gain. Then combine them for high gain sounds. I use my guitar’s volume knob to lower the volume/gain while playing rhythm and dime it for solos.

12. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I would second this. A rat in a live band or studio mix is amazing. It really does help your lead lines standout and sing. Try these settings:

Gain at 9:30 or 10 oclock, filter at 2 oclock, volume to taste (I like a slightl volume boost, mine is set around 2-3 oclock)...that should get you started for live or studio use....might not be epic in a bedroom setting.

Fretlessbaby and wannabeatle like this.
  13. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

My settings are nearly identical... but with Filter almost fully clockwise for single coils, and about 3 o’clock with humbuckers

Generally, I keep 2 dirt pedals and 1 boost pedal on my board... so I have low gain & medium gain, with the option to boost either for solos - and then stack them for high gain

bulbasaur_85 likes this.
  14. undeadxundead

undeadxundead Member

Yeah you are set dude, could throw a TS808/9 pedal on there for some mid-punch, then again you have the EQ.
    (An 808 type of drive really help does cut through a Fender amp.)

DOD 250 is also good in front of the chain but you probably don’t need all of that!

15. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

I'll be using a PRS SE Singlecut with Bill (and Becky) Lawrence L-90 humbuckers - a tad more hi-fi than your average humbucker, very versatile.

Nice, the interesting thing is that with the RAT gain at around 10, the OCD with gain around 10-12 sounds much fuller (alone, not with the band). I guess I'll need to check the settings live, maybe turn down the OCD gain a tad or the RAT gain up. Although I understand that the *character* of the RAT gain changes as it goes up, I don't want to fuzz out completely.

My photo was before I tweaked the settings (properly). Perhaps I should have taken it after the short time I spent getting to a baseline. But if it was already close, that's cool, that explains why I tweaked for a short time. :)

I must admit, I've never really enjoyed the TS into a clean amp, it always sounds a bit underwhelming to me, doesn't "sing" as I'd like. I use one on my mini board to boost gain into an SL Drive. I've always seen the TS as something to go into a loud valve amp to push it harder, but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't need all of this, most likely! I predict I'll use the OCD most of the time with boosts before / after as appropriate, and if I can get the RAT to sing, I might try it for some Floyd leads and harder rockers like Born to be Wild (the original isn't such high gain, but we rock it up a tad).

undeadxundead likes this.
  16. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

That's all I would need right there. However, I'd replace the OCD with a Tube Screamer. And then I would probably take off the tuner and add a compressor. If the OP is just adding pedals, add a TS and a Comp.

......BUT, if the OCD is the foundation, if you will - then things will need to be re-thought.

17. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

Can you expand? Why TS over OCD?

I like a pedal tuner, I lose clip-ons too often to be cost-effective. I don't see the need for the compressor, I'm 99% of the time playing with some level of overdrive, which adds its own compression. (Edit: I have a compressor on my mini-board, and I do occasionally use it for clean rhythm parts, funk / reggae etc. I have a Boss CS-3 lying around, but not sure I'd make room for it on the board at the moment. I could add some grit with the BD-2 and turn down the volume a tad on the guitar, maybe switch the humbucker to parallel.)

I think the OCD can indeed be said to be the "foundation" in some ways, it's really hard to get a bad tone out of it, and it seems to be useful at different levels of gain, although again I haven't used it live, so I'm hoping it's not just a bedroom pedal. What do you mean by "things will need to be re-thought"?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  18. undeadxundead

undeadxundead Member

Yeah man definitely depends on the room and amp your playing out of, there is so much over lap between all these pedals so the differences are pretty small until you get to the Rat.

I feel you on the TS , it’s the same as a Boss SD more or less, they do actually work well through a Fender amp, that’s why I suggested the 808.
    Tends to be a bit nicer than the TS9, anyway these differences are kind of small but interesting to go over. I share your opinion on TS9 as well I’m ambivant about BD-2, I really liked it when I was younger, now ehh.. lol

Anyway the thing that got me out of the TS cliche was being able to kick the Mids through a dull Fender amp, in conjunction with a Triangle Muff.
    That tone can really take you places, especially if you have a fuzz you really like to count on.
    For me the 808+Triangle Muff with BD2 in the chain got really close to those Floyd tones without the a Hiwatt.

19. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

Update with my latest settings from last night. Also, I did swap the BD-2 out for the CS-3 compressor, for funky rhythm parts like Get Lucky and Play that Funky Music I didn't feel that the slight grit from the BD-2 was convincing enough, and it also wasn't doing much as a gain boost before the OCD or RAT. The CS-3 doesn't either, maybe the OCD and RAT already have too much gain for the pre-boost to do much, I don't know. But I think I prefer the CS-3 set to slightly aggressive settings over the BD-2 set to low / no gain. In any event, my most important boost is the GE-7 after the distortion, will really help solos to cut through any potential mud.

[​IMG]

20. Pedalboardoftheday

Pedalboardoftheday Member

This board looks great. Something I used to do was place a volume pedal after my gain section help control volume discrepancies, sort of like some master volume control. Placing them after the gain section doesn't affect the input signal slamming the gain pedals, so your tone is somewhat in tact as you adjust the pedals.

Other than that, you seem to have all the bases covered!