New board with Tech 21 Character pedals w pic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kyle Ashley, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Got my new Tech 21 Character pedalboard put together. This is mainly going to be used for occasional fly dates where I'll run it into power amp/cabinet combinations. So far I've only run it low volume through a Tech 21 Trademark 10 fx return, and the pwr amp in of a Peavey XXL. Haven't cranked it up yet, but they are cool pedals.

The only dud seems to be the California, and it's kinda strange how far off it is as the other 3 are really useful. The CA is just too mushy/bassy and the mid just adds more muffle. The treble control gets too thin too fast, so all in all, I can't really get much out of it. It's very different from the California settings on the Trademark amp, which does have some very useable tones.

[​IMG]

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

That looks like a sweet board. Have you tried running any traditional pedals into them? How are the dynamics as far as cleaning up with the volume knob?

dk

3. Kyle Ashley

I have run the old orange FDII into them as well as the Hotcake and they take a little gain injection in a fairly amp-like way. I won't be able to assess their true colors until I crank them for awhile through a real power amp and cabinet. And they do clean up pretty well with gt volume adjustments.

If I had to rate them at this point I say the Liverpool is the best, with the Brit and Blonde pedals just behind that, and the Cali last. At this point I'm thinking about selling the CA pedal and adding another Brit, so I can have "2 channels" of different Marshall tone on tap. I crammed every square inch of real estate I have to work with, as this has to fit in my carry on bag for flying.

4. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Looks nice!

A couple of questions:
    1. What's the black Korg pedal?
    2. Where does your guitar plug in?
    3. The British, California and Boost DLA don't seem to be connected to the rest of the pedals?

5. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

Another question (and not to hijack your thread), have you tried running any of the Tech 21's direct into the board? I'm trying to get ideas together for a "fly date" gig, and wondered if I could throw, e.g., the Liverpool at the end of my chain and go straight into the board. I read GP's review of that pedal, and they really liked it.

Thoughts? Here's what others have said.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=4315923&posted=1#post4315923

6. Grap

Grap Member

I've run a Tech21 Trademark 10 into the board on one occasion when my main amp died. I just set it up as a clean Fender & ran my pedal board into it. Sounded fine. Lead to out bass player running a line-out from his amp into the PA too 'cos the mix went all to pot.

7. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Great boards. Can I ask a few questions about these pedals as I am curious about the 'British' (I guess no one can stop me from asking, just not answer :)).

Does they affect sound when turned off? Do they work well in a regular pedalboard signal chain with other pedals or are these better for direct?

8. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

your comments on the "california" seem to echo my experience with that setting on the TriAC. i loved the tweed and brit settings, but could never quite tame the cali. i was able to pull off a workable, vroomy big muff type setting with it, but preferred the running a mayo into the tweed setting set clean.

9. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

...Sounds like most Boogies I've played.

Cool looking board. The Boost DLA is a very cool pedal.

10. Kyle Ashley

To answer a few questions:

the korg pedal is a Pitchblack tuner. Guitar plugs into this first. Everything is connected but I'm waiting on a cable to finish the link between the Liverpool and British, thus it's not "hardwired" yet.

I've just used the Blonde pedal direct while tracking a tune. The song is not a guitar based song, but it does a very passable amp tone for this particular thing. I cleaned it up with guitar volume, and then leaned into it on the chorus adding more grit, and it worked pretty good.

I haven't listened closely enough to see if they adversely affect the pure guitar tone passing through them when bypassed, but I will check on it. They seem to be fine with a little gain pedal going into them, and some chorus just as you would run into the front of any amp. Again, the only one that doesn't really sound great is the California. It just mushes out too much. And like Lolaviola mentioned, it is much like Boogies I've owned or played, so I guess it's authentic in that regard.

Last year I took a Vox Tonelab out for flydates, and this was built to replace that. I like the tones better, they are much deeper and more organic. I basically started by taking measurements of my carry on luggage, then building a board that will fit. If I had more room, I would have done it differently, but this covers the bases well, and I don't have to worry about some baggage guy swiping my board out of my checked suitcase.

11. Alter

Alter Member

i sure would love to hear some clips of this board!! :)

12. drolling

drolling Member

HAH!! Reminds me of the time I bought one of those extremely cool looking V-Twin pedals to put some hair on the squeaky-clean Fenders & VOXes I was playing back then.

A real expensive way to find out that I don't like the Mesa Boogie sound!!:jo

but still cheaper than an amp!

thanks for the review Kyle

13. Kyle Ashley

OK - I pulled the Liverpool pedal and recorded a test clip of an open e chord. First I recorded the guitar direct through a Phoenix DRS-2 into a UA2192 AD/DA converter into Samplitude. For people not into recording gear, that's a fairly top of the line front end.

Then I inserted the pedal in bypass mode and recorded the same e chord. Yes the bypass tone is very different from the direct guitar. I think it must still be hitting the speaker simulation as it's warmer and more rounded on the low end, with a slight rolloff in the highs, and dip in the mids. Very noticeable. So if you're looking for absolute purity of your original guitar tone, you won't get it in bypass with these pedals.

14. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Crazy settings on the HotCake! How does it sound?

15. Kyle Ashley

Actually those settings are what I use when I run it into my Bogner XTC. I haven't actually tweaked it for use on this board yet, but that setting works nice with my Bogner head. Actually the tone control should be more around 10 o'clock...it must have been bumped.

16. presence

presence Member

Would love to hear how this board and these character series pedals have been working out!