New Bob Burt Boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shallbe, Jul 22, 2008.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Last Friday night during a song Bob Burt walked up and put a small, black metalflake effects box on the stage next ot my board. It had one footswitch and one knob.

Not having seen Bob in many months, at break time I was anxious to talk gear and catch up. He told me it was his new boost pedal and described his goals in the design, and wanted me to try it I did not have another patch chord, so the tryout would have to happen at home.

I've now spent a few nights with the pedal. I have tried it with two different amps and a Les Paul and Strat-type.

In my experience, this ia a pretty unique boost pedal. It can add a LOT of volume if wanted, but it is completely clean. Bob told me so, but I did not believe him. It is like the pedal adds clean headroom to your amp. When playing my Suhr Strat through a Victoria Double Deluxe, I fully expected the Bob Burt Boost to drive the amp into serious crunch. It did not. The amp was much louder, but it was the original sound, without added dirt. I compared the Klon with it. The BBB was louder and cleaner. I compared it to the Sexdrive. Also cleaner and louder. It gives you more with nothing extra.

The Burt Boost pedal really can punch up the volume, without adding typical gainy tones. It feels great, and does not add hardness or harshness to the treble frequencies, like some others do. In fact, the natural upper end of your guitar signal is intact and sweet---nothing artificial here. The bottom end is big and very firm. This thing is EQ'd great.

For fun, I wanted to see how it behaved with a gainy signal. Wow. Combined with a Klon (placed after it) in the OD setting, it actually made it sound louder, bigger and more open, without additional noise. Then I tried it with my Demeter TGA-3 channel switcher. On the distorted channels, adding the BBB just gave solos sounds more of everything-----it enhanced the bottom end and made the top end and pick attack cleaner, clearer and just plain juicy. Obviously, the volume jump wasn't as dramatic with the channel switcher, but it was certainly there. I could not top playing it because it really enhanced the feel and quickness of the amp.

I still have my very old Klon, an old RX Overdriver, the Sexdrive, and the prototype of the Germ. I got rid of my TMB, Micro Amp and others. This one is certainly unique, and a keeper.

Great work, Bob! Good to see you again.

2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

So what did he copy to make this one?

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I had the Bob Burt od and I don't think it sounded anything like my CJOD clones, Landgraff, BJF LGW, or Eternity. I don't think it was a copy of anything.
    It does have its own voice and I didn't care for it as much as the others I mentioned. I don't think it is a copy of anything anymore than any of the others are derivatives of the TS platform.
    The way you are describing the boost, it sounds like it works in a similar way to my Landgraff boost.

4. shallbe

I owned the LDO for a long time and have played the Mo'D a bunch. Landgraff's boost is something I have never tried.

Regarding the Burt Overdrive, I don't think it really acts that much like my CJOD. It is more like a great TS808 with less mid hump, more bottom and a bit of the CJOD clarity.

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

You mean SHO??

6. shallbe

I can't compare it to the SHO as I've only played one once in a music store, a long time ago.

7. cbpickin

I know ZVex says it's an exact replica, but I've never played an SHO. Some people here who have played both say they don't sound alike. If you've ever talked to John, he makes no bones about the fact that his LDO is a modded TS and his Mo'd is a modded RAT. He openly admits they are his mods for each pedal. No deception there. Hell, he doesn't even goop his stuff. I don't know about the boost, I never asked him about what it is based on.

So, what are you claiming the BBOD is a direct copy of anyway? Have you played a BBOD? Have you played what it is a copy of? Like I said, I really didn't care for the BBOD, but it didn't sound like anything else I've played.

8. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

If it's that clean, I'd guess it's opamp based, like the old MXR Micro Amp. Maybe running on 18v for more headroom.

9. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

As above...i really enjoyed the Bob Burt and found it different enough to the LDO, CJOD and various other TS derivitives in my kit to warrant keeping it. Well...for a while longer than most of my pedals anyhoo :D

My .02c... I actually found it to have one of the sweetest and balanced low ends of any pedal i own.

10. shallbe

If anything, it reminds me of a vintage Micro Amp I had. The difference is the Micro Amo had a harder, more steely top end than this pedal does. I really like combining this boost with other things.

11. shallbe

I took a picture of the pedal last night. Here it is:

[​IMG]

12. fugot

fugot Member

the bob burt od to my ears is different then either the cjod tone or the landgraff (mod) tone. the bbod has the defined articulation of the cjod, but has more emphasis on the low mids. and it is not as fuzzy as the landgraff m'od.
    the bbod is a great blues pedal... and i don't really give a hoot what is under the hood. I hope to try out the boost if it is sold through blue angel music, those guys are total pros and good folks too.

here is my thought for the day . just cause your cat has her kittens in the oven, don't make them biscuits.......

13. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

That looks like the Black Market od on the outside. Anyone remember that?

14. cbpickin

Yeah, I've regretted selling my BMOD a few times, but I preferred my LDO when I had it so I'm not getting another one. I've never played a CJOD, but the BMOD was a great sounding pedal.

15. fugot

fugot Member

that was my first thought as well.....i guess there really isn't any bad publicity though , i mean check out 'any' of the lovepedals threads.

16. Don't Post

Don't Post Member

Pedal Parts Plus offers this box prepainted,apparently people like it.

17. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I wasn't trying to imply anything. It just looked the same to me. I guess that is why!

18. lv

lv Supporting Member

His boost [Landgraff's] is based on the Z Vex but with some different parts. They are both based on a 60's recording console preamp.

I've played both, both are nice though I prefer the Landgraff.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  19. shallbe

I can tell you that the Bob Burt Booost does not crackle when you turn the knob. Doesn't the SHO do this?

20. lv

lv Supporting Member

Yep.