1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

New body same setup?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by pbradt, Sep 18, 2006.

1. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I'm replacing the heavy body on my MIM '50s Classic Tele with a lighter body from Guitar Mill and I want to know, when I add the parts (bridge and so forth), what are the chances the setup will be completely hosed? the neck is in great shape and the bridge is set up just the way I like it.

If someone can list some pitfalls to look for, I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance!

2. fazendeiro

fazendeiro Member

No definitive answer, but my guess is the setup won't transfer to the new body. I've been switching necks and hardware on Teles/Strats for a while and it never fails that I have to pretty much start from scratch, setup wise.

I have a Guitarmill body I'm using, and it's fine, fine piece of work. I put a neck from a well setup MIM on it, and ended up having to shim the neck on the headstock end to get rid of buzz that was never there on the MIM (the shim was a last resort, believe me).

Your project may be different, but I'd be surprised. Too many slight variables.

3. ronin32

ronin32 Member

It might be close to were it was before you took it off the old body. But because of the neck now being on a new body the angle of the neck pocket or something like it might throw your set up off.

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Shim on the headstock?

I thought you only shimmed the neck pocket.

5. fazendeiro

fazendeiro Member

I should have stated it more clearly:
    Shim on the headstock end of the neck pocket.

6. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

How thick was the shim?