~NEW~ Bogner Ecstasy Blue Channel vs. Axe-FX clips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lution, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Lution

Lution Member

I got my Reamping clip back from Eric (solo-act) today that he did with his Axe-FX in comparison to my Bogner Ecstasy Blue Channel clip I sent him.

Nothing special, just some rhythm guitar.

Here is my original XTC Clip - Boosted Blue Channel:
    http://www.javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/lution/rJ%20xtc101b%20blue%20channel.wav

Here is the Axe-FX clip - By Eric (solo-act):
    http://www.javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/lution/RJ_xtc_axefx_reamped.wav

Here is the Revised (4.23.08) Axe-FX clip By Eric: (much closer)
    http://www.javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/lution/RJ_XTC_blu2.wav

Here is my clean direct clip which Eric used to reamp:
    http://www.javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/lution/rJ direct clean.wav

~note~ I wasn't able to split my signal, so I recorded my XTC clip, then immediately plugged my guitar straight into my Audio Interface (Edirol UA-25) and played along with the original clip.

Thank you to Eric and to Sean (javajunkie) for your help and your time.

enjoy.

~sidenote~ I'm not EVH so don't expect flaming hot playing... just a simple rhythm guitar track. kthanksbye. ;)

2. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I dont need to hear this!..The Axe FX sounds like it could make my life easier

3. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

This is great... I actually like the Axe-Fx clip better. :p It has more clarity, or it sounds like it's "produced" better. NOICE!

4. digital jams

digital jams Member

Post production indeed................

Was not digging the original clip either, very middy with no highs or lows.
    Was this mic'd up?

5. Lution

Lution Member

yea, I used my Bogner OS 2x12 with V30s into an SM57 then straight into my UA-25 then into Sonar LE.

My Bogner was in Old Style (triode mode) and about 9 am on the master volume. Not pushing the tubes very hard.

6. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

7. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

there is more gain on the original clip

8. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

There is something about the attack that isn't quite right. The Axe-FX seems flatter. It has less of an edge.......but overall, it's really close.

9. Stratosphere

Stratosphere Member

I'm hearing just a little more girth on the bottom end of the Ecstacy, but it's nominal. I listened to it again after hearing the AXE clip and it wasn't as big a difference as I thought it was.

Add bass and drums and I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

10. mctallica1

mctallica1 Member

That was very nice.

I actually like the Axe clip better, but I think that could be due to a tad less gain.

Very nice

11. solo-act

solo-act Member

I can tweak the axe-fx clip differently if you guys want, it's easy to do.

More gain? Less gain?
    More highs? Less highs?
    More lows? Less lows?
    More edge? Less edge?

Those are all available. Just let me know.
    If you're looking for frequency differences (edge, highs, lows etc) let me know what frequency range you're thinking of and I'll make it so.

The original re-amp track wasn't touched & no post production was done. It's all 100% raw.

There is a "hole" in the midrange that the axe-fx cabinets don't seem to have. That scooped out section makes for a very cool sound. Heard the same thing on Angus's clip. It takes some midrange 400-600hz warmth out which emphasizes the lower girth and the upper edge/snarl. It's hard to put a finger on it & VERY hard to duplicate it. It's like a filtering/phase thing, but it's cool. I think the axe-fx speakers were all miced half way between the edge of the dust cap and the outside edge of the speaker. They sound like it. The two bogner clips I've worked with sound like they were miced closer to the dust cap.

There is a difference in dynamic response between axe-fx gear and real gear. It's only apparent when you closely A/B. The axe-fx handles big transients a bit different, possibly in a little more behaved way, a little less wild sounding.
    Anyway, just a couple thoughts.

Let me know what you want different than what I did & I'll put 'em up for fun if that's cool with lution.

12. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

How about thicker mids. I think the unit is everything evrbody says, but I have been playing EL34 amps for 35 years (and losing my hearing) ... I would enjoy the thicker more complex mid sounds I get from my own XTC.

Great stuff BTW ....

13. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

Thanks for the samples, great job.
    I prefer XTC timbre and testure, as far I can hear them in those wavs.

14. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

This is what I don't hear as well. The trade mark thickness/complexity in the mids that you get from Bogners is not in the second clip. Is it possible to get that?

15. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I'm not buying it....the Bogner is it. I like the Bogner clip better and that's a recording. Can't imagine the difference in feel, tone, etc. in a live situation.

16. Ken

Ken Member

I vote for the first clip as the best one.

It has that warm mid punch that I love. The second clip has too much of a buzz on the upper frequencies, a bit too bright.

17. solo-act

solo-act Member

It would great if someone could identify frequency ranges they're looking to hear, otherwise I'm just guessing. My interface is working again, so give me hand with some freq's if you can--Till then, I'm going to put up an educated guess.

18. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Funny how different people hear different stuff.

I hear congestion in the mids on the 1st clip, and think the clarity of the other one much improved the tone.

Guess away Eric, you've done pretty damn good so far. Once you're done with these, would be great if you posted them on Axechange (probably list them as the 'challenge' presets!)

Ron

19. Lution

Lution Member

Shoot BrentSP a PM (resident XTC x-pert). and then let me know what he says these frequencies are too. I've been trying to unlock the secret to the Bogner XTC sound.

20. Derelict

Derelict Member

no offense to the OP, but that first XTC clip is the worst i have ever heard.

sorry.