New Bonamassa Rig Rundown.

7thString

At 34:40 in the video, he talks about how the guitar tone stays 'even harmonically' ie doesn't thin out as he transitions from to the high strings from the fatter, low strings, but then only explains "and that's with the Celestions and a few other things / tricks that I do... keep turning the dials until it sounds good.."

anybody have any ideas on how he accomplishes this balance? Is it just from running multiple amps perhaps? Or is it just a matter of tuning the rig so the notes / strings sound fat all the way up the high e, and live with woofy low notes / pluck them closer to the bridge etc

Had to search this out and bump it because I just got around to watching this...

Definitely changed my perception of Joe. Not a big fan of his music, but jeez...people hate this dude for no reason. I only knew what I read or heard out there on the web, and there's a huge disconnect from how he's talked about vs. how he actually is. He's basically a nerdy gear head buying everything I'd buy if I had the money, and is pretty self-aware and has a good sense of humor about himself. So yeah...I was definitely wrong about this guy. That was a fun watch.

Side note on Bohlinger, he helped me via DM on Instagram to pick out a pedal steel. Nice as can be, very helpful and encouraging...just another dude who loves guitars and gear, and no slouch on the guitar himself. I'm not going to kid myself here, I'd be exactly like him if I were doing the rig rundown. It's easy to be jaded about things, it's more fun to eternally let that inner 13 year old who just got his first distortion pedal out.

kimock

Odd that he seems to be running the Dumbles in OD in parallel with the Fenders.
Relative to the midrange part of the rap anyway.
There's some phase angle weirdness with the Dumble OD, it's not 180 to the Fender, they don't sum in either polarity, same deal as Hiwatt/Fender, there's cancellation in either polarity.
It makes more sense relative to the tight bottom part of the rap because the combination will cost you some bass.
With 6 or 7 twelve inch speakers coupled to the floor you probably have plenty of bass to lose.
Anyway, the whole thing sounds fine the way he's using it but it's not exactly phase coherent.
It's not 180 out, but it's definitely not lined up either.

It's an unusual implementation of the Dumble OD, parallel with a Fender.

kimock

Far as I can tell, I've never seen a ODS and Tweed style Fender run together.
I do it more often than not, 4x10 Bassman and a 50 watt Dumble, parallel, same era amp as JB's within a few serial numbers I think.
That's why I'm mentioning the OD odd phase angle issues.

Usually when you see the Dumble/Fender stuff onstage it's Dumbelator/effects split to D-return and Fender, like Robben Ford, so only one pre-amp. The Fender just follows whatever monkey business goes on in OD so no phase issues.

It's not a tweed specific thing, all the Fender's play nice with each other.
There's only three amps I know with that 30/60 odd phase alignment that doesn't respond to speaker polarity adjustment relative to the Fender: Hiwatt, Dumble OD channel and I'm keeping the third one under my hat for now. I'm still snatching 'em up. .

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I do it more often than not, 4x10 Bassman and a 50 watt Dumble, parallel, same era amp as JB's within a few serial numbers I think.
That's why I'm mentioning the OD odd phase angle issues.
What speakers do you run with the Dumble? It's the Vox 2 x 12, right?

like Robben Ford, so only one pre-amp.
IIRC the output section of his ODS is essentially a Bassman anyway.

ahhlou

I enjoyed this one. I have watched his musical journey over the past decade or two and he's heading in the right direction...

kimock

What speakers do you run with the Dumble? It's the Vox 2 x 12, right?
I don’t know! Big alnico Celestion samples Boogie was considering for OEM use but passed on because they were too expensive. Never was able to ID them as a production model.
IIRC the output section of his ODS is essentially a Bassman anyway.
Yeah, Bassman 4 ohm OT for the 50 watt which means they’re mismatched for a single 12, and Twin for the 100 watt.

Trending Topics