New boss fv-30h mod?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bknight77, Mar 13, 2015.

1. bknight77

bknight77 Member

So I just got two new boss FB-30h volume pedals that just released. I got one to be a volume and one to use as expression (a couple sites advertise them as being an expression pedal too). Turns out they don't do expression just volume. I really like the pedals as would rather keep them. The size and feel is great for me.

Anyone know who could mod one of the volumes to be an expression pedal?

2. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Get a mono -> stereo splitter, plug one end to the output and the other to the input.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The FV-30H is a 250K volume pedal, which (unlike the FV-500 models) doesn't have a separate pot and jack for expression. You can use an insert cable (TRS -> 2xTS) to guerilla wire a volume pedal for expression use, but the 250K pot probably won't work well for expression. The FV-30L is most likely 25K, which would be a better starting point for an expression pedal.

4. bknight77

bknight77 Member

Interesting, can you explain the difference the pot makes? I guess I never knew about that!

5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Expression pedals generally use much smaller value pots than passive volume pedals (10K isn't an uncommon value for an expression pedal, while a passive volume pedal uses a 250K). Some pedals are very picky with the value used for the expression input, while others are more flexible. But if the pot value is too far off, it might not work as intended.