New boss GT 1 MFX pedal

+NRG

Boss tend to use some weird descriptions (to me) when it comes for labeling knobs. I wasn't aware what 'Direct level' means. It appears that this is famous dry/wet mix, but for some reason the only delay that has this option is the 'Sub delay' under FX1/2 category and Terra echo. I completely don't understand this decision as it is inconsistent with other delay types. Hope that they eventually release firmware update, very shortsighted IMO.

I noticed that too... I was using the pan delay (in the FX1/2 sub delay), with the tap time setting set to zero you get the delay on one side only (which is an effect I really like...). If you set the delay time to 30 - 40 ms, with no feedback and tap time setting on zero, you get a nice wide double tracked guitar sound. Then, if you put the dry level to zero and turn up the effect level to around 90 to compensate for the volume loss, the effect is even wider...

I was using the Boss Tone Studio editor and went to duplicate the same effect using the pan delay in the Delay module (to free up the FX1/2 for another effect) and it has a dry level knob but it doesn't work! I checked on the GT-1 itself and there is no dry level parameter for the pan delay in the Delay module...

+NRG

Quick review... Spent a good amount of time with my GT-1 and I'm really enjoying it. Only using it through headphones & monitors so far... The Tone Studio editor is cool and easy to use. The Tone Central artist patches are available from within the Tone Studio and are a good source for some different sounds and a way to find some cool effect settings that you can apply to your own patches.

I've had no issues using the expression pedal with my size 12" feet...

*I would suggest selecting the correct output setting for the GT-1 and initializing a patch that you don't like. Initializing a patch sets all of the parameters to their default settings and turns off all of the modules except the amp & noise suppressor (I believe...). It's a good way to learn the GT and audition the various amps / cabs / OD / FX... And, build a patch from scratch B)

I recently owned the Zoom G3 and currently own a DigiTech RP360XP, Yamaha THR10 and Tech 21 Leeds.

mcfly85

I've been reading the manual and it seems that the 'up' and 'down' buttons cannot be reassigned to anything else.. is this true??
I am hoping i just missed something... is there a "stomp box mode' or something like that?
My grand plan is to get the GT-1 and the FS6 and have 5 pedals on/off for certain effects. This doesn't seem like a possibility though??
thanks in advance!
I guess this was discussed few pages ago. At the cost of sacrificing tuner and looper you can do it, by assigning in options +/- patch to down+up and up to ctl1 respectively (in GT1 main settings) and change up/down behavior in the patch (it is at the end of chain when selecting edit mode). This will work on on user mode, but you won't be able to save anything to factory presets, so that is a bit of pointless there, fine for customized patches. Hope that it helps a bit.

john lan

COOL You should make a thread so it can be found easelly
is easy to step on two buttons the same time ? or is it hit and miss universe?

erikm5150

I guess this was discussed few pages ago. At the cost of sacrificing tuner and looper you can do it, by assigning in options +/- patch to down+up and up to ctl1 respectively (in GT1 main settings) and change up/down behavior in the patch (it is at the end of chain when selecting edit mode). This will work on on user mode, but you won't be able to save anything to factory presets, so that is a bit of pointless there, fine for customized patches. Hope that it helps a bit.

yeah if I can't save it, i won't be able to gig with it -- too bad! thanks or the info though!... i hope boss adds some way of doing this in the future.

EDIT: i think i misunderstood! so it CAN be saved for user patches, just not the factory patches... nice.

jageya

the whole user patches and factory patches is confusing and kind of silly. you should be able to overwrite it all and if you want them back just factory reset the thing.....

WYSIWYG

Unless you are a master-toe-switching-technique-guitar-player, the only (and maybe the easiest) way to have a 'manual / stomp mode' in this unit would be converting the effects buttons into a full size 6 foot-switch pedal.

I came up with this diagram to show the idea. I don't know nothing about electronics, but maybe @ashbass can help with this task. He has done great things with the Zoom G series.

mXgGpHj.jpg

Last edited:

john lan

you can also add the 2 control buttons and one foot switch tuner in that but bye bye waranty.
on a used one go for it the electronics are as simple as it gets

mcfly85

Or we can wait a couple of weeks (months perhaps) until MIDX20 will be compatible with GT1. I emailed the author and he said he will try but did not promise as it turns out a bit tricky (it does not have officially confirmed MIDI compatibility, nor will ever I suppose). But again, MIDX20 price of 180 Euro makes your idea worthy :). Too bad Boss engineers did not put any external control socked for those designated effect buttons - even if you had to buy it separately. I didn't have a courage to open my unit, but I saw on YT on Tony McKenzie 7:28, but only on CPU side, not much very details revealed regarding to switches. I suppose those are only simple microswitches, unfortunately they're tiny and it may be a little tricky to solder wires if you don't have electronic experience

yanakosk

I don't understand why I have to buy a GT1, add footswitchs, etc and still complain that is no good for giggs. If I am a gigging guitarist, there are much more suitable unit's... Gt100, ME80... Am I missing something???

rsm

IMO, with the 6 assigns per CTL, with a little planning it should be enough to provide usable foot control. I originally planned to add my FS-7, but so far that hasn't been necessary.

I've organized my patches to have my main patch (with CTL1 change to a second sound) in the "center" of 5 patches; I have clean variations down 1, 2 patches; and OD/ dist up 1,2 patches for a total of 5 patches (eventually, each will have a secondary sound setting that can be engaged with CTL1) which is 10 sounds.

As I've said before, my main sounds have been from my GT-100, my plan with the GT-1 (which failed with the GT-001) is to downsize and eventually sell the GT-100 (though I may get it's future replacement). Still a work in progress:

2a5k4rm.jpg

edit: so far this is working better than I expected. I'm working on SY-300 sounds now, and may need to add either the FS-7 or EV-5 to it. However, the GT-1 will replace my GT-100 for direct use (patch mode), not MFX pedalboard mode with my amps...but I plan to use my TCE Nova System for that once I'm ready to sell the GT-100.

Waiting for Source Audio MFX as well...hopefully that will be available in a couple of years. :)

Last edited:

FuzzFacetious

I don't understand why I have to buy a GT1, add footswitchs, etc and still complain that is no good for giggs. If I am a gigging guitarist, there are much more suitable unit's... Gt100, ME80... Am I missing something???
I would happily a gig a GT1 with FS7, if I had written the songs around the way the unit works (or could work all complicated effect-heavy songs around the patches and switches).

Reactions: rsm

+NRG

I could use the GT-1 for live work... I'm pretty old school and would only need a few patches (using the 6 assigns...) and then some special effects patches for specific needs. A good clean, crunch & lead with a touch of delay / verb goes along way for me... Love the Tera Echo!

My clean tube amp and simple pedalboard rig could easily be matched by the GT-1.

Other players might need more real-time control so the GT-1 probably isn't their solution...

WYSIWYG

I could use the GT-1 for live work... I'm pretty old school and would only need a few patches (using the 6 assigns...) and then some special effects patches for specific needs. A good clean, crunch & lead with a touch of delay / verb goes along way for me... Love the Tera Echo!

My clean tube amp and simple pedalboard rig could easily be matched by the GT-1.

Other players might need more real-time control so the GT-1 probably isn't their solution...

I'm old school too. But the ability to turn on/off an effects slot in the GT1 is right there! But only with your fingers :eek:

I don't know why Boss couldn't came up with a footswitch (or adapt an existing one, like in the katana amps) to give the costumer this flexibility. That's why I came up with the diagram and @ashbass mods.

+NRG

I'm old school too. But the ability to turn on/off an effects slot in the GT1 is right there! But only with your fingers :eek:

I don't know why Boss couldn't came up with a footswitch (or adapt an existing one, like in the katana amps) to give the costumer this flexibility. That's why I came up with the diagram and @ashbass mods.

They want you to buy the GT-100! B)

I'll probably get an FS-7 for added flexibility but I won't use it all of the time...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom