New BOSS GT-1000 Guitar Effects Processor

DigiPOV

I think the whole extra processing power think is simply to allow expansion of a unit way into the future which is a good thing but it comes with a big cost. The helix has been out now 2 yrs or so now? I am watching how far updates will take it? Another year or 2? Before new hardware and processing is required to get to a next level? Don't know

I dont know either. I looked into it and if I remember correctly, the Helix only had 2.2x the processing power as the HD500x. I expected it to be 10x. OTH, the HD500x had good algos already, its major shortcoming was the hardware and UI. The point is that five years ago, we were already near the point of having plenty of processor, its all down to the algos now.

Boss GT100 uses a single ESP2 chip. The katanas and the GT-1 also use a single ESP2. This is proprietary chip design used in many of their products and I wasn't able to find data on it. Its interesting that some of their "Cosm" synths use dual ESP2 chips, which might be the approach taken in GT1000 (which would double GT100 power). They also have a new DSP used in high end synths which may be used in the GT1000. All tbd.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GT1000 uses dual ESP2s, which would represent an increase in power similar to the Helix. A company like boss is likely to reuse existing platforms in multiple products, which is why the dual ESP2 seems likely to me.

ShaunzNoiz

Ok. I’m in St Louis and the Guitar Center here (Bridgeton) has one on display. I’m not getting in depth because I’m a player that’s not really deep into programming anything. I just bought a HX last week so here are my brief thoughts:

The amps are very good. I found a handful of usable tones in a few patches and that usually never happens. The tweed amps and some of the heavier drive amps with a PRSCU24 were damn good.

The drive tones from some of the pedals were very good.

The effects were Boss style effects, which sound like they were taken more from their 500series pedals.

Love the small form factor/ compact size. This matters to me because I fly out a lot and walking around NYC for 5 or 6 miles carrying anything trying to get to a gig will wear you down, especially since I’m getting older.

Thought I would have liked the screen better than I did, but on initial impressions I like the Helix screen better. Didn’t get a chance to adjust the contrast or anything like that.

Will play it more and read the manual. Will head back over there Monday and try tweaking a few things. I’m used to the Helix/HX UI at this point so I need to see what the learning curve will be like.

That is all.

Will play it more and read the manual. Will head back over there Monday and try tweaking a few things. I’m used to the Helix/HX UI at this point so I need to see what the learning curve will be like.

That is all.

If you go ask them when they got it.
it could be one of the old ones pre IR loading :p

hippietim

Ok. I’m in St Louis and the Guitar Center here (Bridgeton) has one on display. I’m not getting in depth because I’m a player that’s not really deep into programming anything. I just bought a HX last week so here are my brief thoughts:

The amps are very good. I found a handful of usable tones in a few patches and that usually never happens. The tweed amps and some of the heavier drive amps with a PRSCU24 were damn good.

The drive tones from some of the pedals were very good.

The effects were Boss style effects, which sound like they were taken more from their 500series pedals.

Love the small form factor/ compact size. This matters to me because I fly out a lot and walking around NYC for 5 or 6 miles carrying anything trying to get to a gig will wear you down, especially since I’m getting older.

Thought I would have liked the screen better than I did, but on initial impressions I like the Helix screen better. Didn’t get a chance to adjust the contrast or anything like that.

That is all.

That sounds encouraging. Thanks.

DigiPOV

My GT100(cost me $250 used) and Atomic AFB smokes even some of my beloved tube amps.Great combination.
Is there any way to switch the AFB from the GT? It has 9 models but no midi?

Maybe use the amp switcher to activate the pedal?. would take some wiring mod.

slotools

I played a gig last night for a new upper scale restaurant opening and management stressed Smooth Jazz at acceptable volume levels. I usually play 2 tube amps but used only a Boss GT1 direct. Stage size was also a minimum, so it was an inspired choice. I dialed 5 patches and was pretty content in a band content. I would now consider a pick up of the GT1000 for the added flexibility and loading in and out benefits.

As a side note, the crowd made us raise our volume and throw it down, which we did with extreme prejudice. The first event I ever went from Tony Bennet to Sabbath in lightning time.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
Is there any way to switch the AFB from the GT? It has 9 models but no midi?

Maybe use the amp switcher to activate the pedal?. would take some wiring mod.

If it was the only external pedal you were using, couldn't you just put it in the loop and turn the loop on/off? I've done that (at home) with various preamp pedals.

ShaunzNoiz

I was told that it came in yesterday and they can't sell any until next week. If I recall that model was a demo model and not for sell.

DigiPOV

Nah.... The way you control that unit is.... somewhere far beyond the realms of sanity.

What I was suggesting is to open up the pedal and solder another set of wire leads to one of the toggle switches (possibly the channel switch). You could then connect them to the GT100 amp switcher and get two sounds out of the AFB. Its a really cool pedal, but the switching kinda makes it a difficult purchase.

Lord N

It's pretty small, i don't know if soldering cables to it would work really well.
And what's the point really, i think the Atomic stuff is crazily expensive and doesn't sound anywhere as good as people here make it seem.
For the money of the atomic and gt-100 you could almost buy a used AX8, have better tone and more features without any soldering and extra cable clutter.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom