New BOSS GT-1000 Guitar Effects Processor

xela1

Well, thought I was gonna spend a lot more time with it today, but only got to play it for about 5 minutes before I had to run out the door. Will go back to Guitar Center and play it again tomorrow, but just a few things:

1. As others have said, it is Boss. If you like Boss sounds then you will love this thing. It has power and potential.

2. Besides a few amps (6 or 7), and a few pedals (about 10 i guess) everything else in the unit is Boss. I say this because I don't see Boss doing a lot of updates to this thing in the future. If most of the stuff in the unit are things they have created, what do they need to do a ton of updates for? I think this presents an interesting delima for Boss. What they do is good. Are they going to improve their already impressive tones (If you like Boss tones), or are they going to go the route where they start modeling everyone else? Do you get what I'm saying? They created the DS1. It's in there. They created the OD1. It's in there.

My personal opinions.
Do you mean created like their own versions of a supposed amp? Vs helix or frac tal that claim to do exact modeling of specific brands of amps?
Alot of people have come to expect software updates in these units-even $200 units like the zoom g3/5n units so I hope boss jumps on that train to keep the unit evolving.

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
Well, thought I was gonna spend a lot more time with it today, but only got to play it for about 5 minutes before I had to run out the door. Will go back to Guitar Center and play it again tomorrow, but just a few things:

1. As others have said, it is Boss. If you like Boss sounds then you will love this thing. It has power and potential.

2. Besides a few amps (6 or 7), and a few pedals (about 10 i guess) everything else in the unit is Boss. I say this because I don't see Boss doing a lot of updates to this thing in the future. If most of the stuff in the unit are things they have created, what do they need to do a ton of updates for? I think this presents an interesting delima for Boss. What they do is good. Are they going to improve their already impressive tones (If you like Boss tones), or are they going to go the route where they start modeling everyone else? Do you get what I'm saying? They created the DS1. It's in there. They created the OD1. It's in there.

3. Not a fan of the screen. Thats personal. I just can't see it all that well. Maybe it is better in direct sunlight like they claim, but I like the screen on other units better.

There were several people there checking the unit out. We all had the same sentiment that if this unit would have come out before the competition then we all would have bought this one. If you are a Boss user then the pages and menus will be somewhat intuitive.

My personal opinions.

Thank you for this.

Specifically to your second point, I find this interesting in light of the conversations we sometimes have about the future of modeling. Some of us wish that there was more flexibility and less adherence to famous amps of the past in tone creation. This isn't terribly new, but in their own Parameter Guide for this unit, they have a small selection of "classic" amp models like your requisite Fenders, an AC30, a Marshall 1959, and a Dual Rec. Then they have these nine "Advanced Amps" that are meant to be both custom creations and a blank canvas for more off-the-beaten-path sounds. Heck, three of them use MDP to do stuff that other amps simply can't.

Some of these aren't new to the Boss world. The Natural Clean sim has been around the block and is a REALLY nice amp sim. Now that I've used it, I don't know if I want a modeler WITHOUT it!

EDIT: @xela1 this might be what was being referred to.

Last edited:

slotools

I fed the GT1000 signal to my mixer and played to some tracks- very nice. I am going to employ a couple FS6 controllers to be sure. Not many buttons for all the goodies offered. Sure there are some irritations, but all units have quirks.

Nhoj

Interesting stuff.I kind of knew this thru the years from the whole feel thing and pricing but i usually replace tuners/pickups and bridges on a guitar that feels good to me.

Isnt it like any industry-its all about the bottom line. And about line6 guys working at boss now: its like any job really- used to work at Lockheed martin and now at Northrop Grumman or worked at att and now at verizon.So i guess its just moving jobs for better pay/work enviorment/location?

Yes ive known friends that work on both companies , and they are not biased not like other people here on TGP, ive even talked to one representative saying that their company scheme strategy is just a marketing gimmick.

Last edited:

slotools

Not a fan of the screen. Thats personal. I just can't see it all that well. Maybe it is better in direct sunlight like they claim, but I like the screen on other units better.

Yes the editing screen blows, a good easy to read (and also to see) screen would have helped editing big time.

DS007

I fed the GT1000 signal to my mixer and played to some tracks- very nice. I am going to employ a couple FS6 controllers to be sure. Not many buttons for all the goodies offered. Sure there are some irritations, but all units have quirks.
How is the amp/cab modeling? Is it on a par with something like the Helix or Amplifire? Better? Worse? Are there options for changing mics on the cabs?

BTW, thanks to both of you for giving us the play by play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nhoj

Congrats again, can you demo the GUVNOR OD/DS , ive made a patch using that and it sound so good on the Boss GT1, ive curious of what they done if they updated that, im confident that i can make a awesome tube sounding sound on the GT1000, honestly its a bit spoiled multi for me, i can say its over enough of what i need because of many preamps od and effects included(which is i dont need).

slotools

You know, I have not even cracked the manual- it is typical boss. My comment regarding amps/cabs is much better than GT1-

I keep the output level and noon, and I believe some sounds can compete with the other players- don't expect an AXE fx Friedman, but the Boss patches through the years have been updated effectively so one could play some stock sounds in the box and be pleased. I just can't comment on amp/cab as the other big 2 have so much flexibility in that arena. Trouble is, too much flexibility can be a liability. If you like things simple and sweet, you will be happy.

Last edited:

slotools

can you demo the GUVNOR OD/DS , ive made a patch using that and it sound so good on the Boss GT1, ive curious of what they done if they updated that, im confident that i can make a awesome tube sounding sound on the GT1000, honestly its a bit spoiled multi for me, i can say its over enough of what i need because of many preamps od and effects included(which is i dont need).

I sometimes struggle using the GT1 dist pedals, I try to get my gain sounds from amps and tweaking them on the GT1 - so far the dists are pretty close to GT1- I will try to make a comparison tomorrow.

Nhoj

I sometimes struggle using the GT1 dist pedals, I try to get my gain sounds from amps and tweaking them on the GT1 - so far the dists are pretty close to GT1- I will try to make a comparison tomorrow.

Ive learn the technique on how to make a OD/DS awesome.

slotools

Maybe I should clarify statement on dists on GT1. I have so many great dist pedals that I will employ as they sound great without tweaking- I did edit a patch or two using the GT100 dists and they were fine. The phaser and chorus are sweet.

ShaunzNoiz

Do you mean created like their own versions of a supposed amp? Vs helix or frac tal that claim to do exact modeling of specific brands of amps?
Alot of people have come to expect software updates in these units-even $200 units like the zoom g3/5n units so I hope boss jumps on that train to keep the unit evolving.

That's sort of what i mean. There isn't a ton of Dumble this or Marshall that or 12 different Fenders in the unit. This does Boss to the max, which I think is a good thing. If you need updates for Amp X, Y and Z, I just don't see that happening with Boss. I see this as a powerful tool for creation and one less for reproducing other manufactures.

PAH

Yes the editing screen blows, a good easy to read (and also to see) screen would have helped editing big time.

Have you tried adjusting the contrast: Choose [MENU] -> “HARDWARE SETTING” -> “OTHER” -> “LCD CONTRAST.”

How's the screen readability/visibility compared to a GT-100's screens?

ShaunzNoiz

Have you tried adjusting the contrast: Choose [MENU] -> “HARDWARE SETTING” -> “OTHER” -> “LCD CONTRAST.”

How's the screen readability/visibility compared to a GT-100's screens?

No. I didn't try it. I will do so when I get my hands on it again. I do wish they could have implemented some color in there somehow, but that probably helps keep the cost down.

I am highly interested in how bluetooth will be implemented in the unit. That could push me way over the edge and get one of these things if that makes it easier to edit, especially on the fly at a gig.

slotools

There is an amp called:
Transparent, very nice sparking clean. Did not like the Marshall amp but there are some good Boss distort amps

PAH

There is an amp called:
Transparent, very nice sparking clean. Did not like the Marshall amp but there are some good Boss distort amps

Transparent is a full range amp. On the GT-100 (yes, one hundred), the full range amp model sounded awesome with a Piezo bridge into an FRFR system.

Sascha Franck

Hm, while I like photos of modelers and wieners (in fact, I have a very illustrious collection), I usually - yeah, call me strange - prefer some soundclips.

Top Bottom