New BOSS GT-1000 Guitar Effects Processor

clintmartin

I think I've used the Centrance before. There seems to be some debate if the DAW accurately reports it. I'm still using Sonar x3 Producer fwiw. (Never got around to the Platinum upgrade before they closed shop lol)
I'm a Sonar Platinum user too. Get it now for free. Cakewalk by Bandlab.

manatarms

I asked them to hook it to an FRFR as well Sad part was they didn't even understand why you would. That why I take the 3 1/2 hour drive to Sweetwater Music when ever I'm serious about buying. The most phenomenal facility you have ever seen. And exceptional well trained staff.
Yeah it’s funny that even the guys that work in the guitar department (and who usually are guitar players) don’t understand that.

I live in mid-Michigan and I made the trip to Sweetwater once. Pretty awesome place. It was about a little over 2 hrs for me.

manatarms

Sales people do whatever I ask. I suppose I look like a buyer. I've never had a salesperson say no to a request. When they say no, its because they've already figured out you aren't buying.
They usually do whatever I’ve asked too but they wouldn’t. They said they had just gotten it and wanted to keep it there. Oh well.

gluve95

Sales people do whatever I ask. I suppose I look like a buyer. I've never had a salesperson say no to a request. When they say no, its because they've already figured out you aren't buying.
I was ready to buy. I called ahead made sure they had one in a box. They held it back for me. I should have just walked in bought it and took it home to check out. But I couldn't find my Email with the 10% off coupon . And I just became frustrated with the situation.

clintmartin

DigiPOV

https://www.bandlab.com/download/assistant/windows
You have to create a bandlab account and download bandlab assistant. That's it! Bandlab bought Cakewalk.
Keep X3 installed and all of the bundled stuff will work. If you need any help let me know.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AwrivrPMMqFyAnbRfV03U2ki00VwOJNHeFXolbyyzKA/edit?usp=sharing
A comparison chart.

Very cool! I thought it was dead. This should absolutely destroy Reaper if it is truly free. Wow.

A leading edge DAW with ARA integration and the best UI in the game. For free. Reaper who?

clintmartin

I'm not sure. On the forum Meng (the new owner) said when you register it will say the license is for 6 months, but to ignore it. This version of Cakewalk is free.
I believe the new buisness model will be to sell add ons, and maybe future upgrades. Just guessing about that.
Everyone should at least try it. Sonar has always been my DAW of choice. The pro-channel alone is worth the effort.
Sorry to derail thread.

Sascha Franck

Hm, nice move with that Bandlab thing. Looks they're using it to sell their interfaces. Not a bad thing in case you can still enjoy it without them.

BuleriaChk

Cakewalk is the best for recording and processing audio, especially with their implementation of comping.

Its weakness is in their implementation of Midi, elastic audio (it is awkward to create loops compared to Ableton), and their inability to provide a method of implementing many current hardware control surfaces without an extraordinary amount of pain (in my experience), and they don't have one of their own.

I've tried many times, but it is like a dog walking on its hind legs; it can be done, but it never is done well. The surprise is that it can be done at all....

DigiPOV

Cakewalk is the best for recording and processing audio, especially with their implementation of comping.

Its weakness is in their implementation of Midi, elastic audio (it is awkward to create loops compared to Ableton), and their inability to provide a method of implementing many current hardware control surfaces without an extraordinary amount of pain (in my experience), and they don't have one of their own.

I've tried many times, but it is like a dog walking on its hind legs; it can be done, but it never is done well. The surprise is that it can be done at all....

I have a different opinion. Sonar Platinum has been a feature leader and was in no way "losing ground" to other DAWs. It was the first with ARA (Melodyne) integration which is a big deal, it has absolutely the best, most attractive, most flexible user interface. And it is the (only) DAW with full touch integration. Its also quite stable and IMO, relatively efficient.

Regarding integration with hardware control surfaces... that is a trend that is passing. Having a dedicated monitor(s) with touch control is where it is heading. That said, Sonar supports all the Mackie protocols and has surface learning features that I thought worked well.

Elastic audio and midi? Loop construction and time stretching supported, but who else does this as well as Ableton? Ironically cakewalk used to be regarded as the strongest in midi; I'm not sure what features you are missing. I think that scoring is the only weakness of Sonar in this realm.

Why did Cakewalk "fail"? Its primarily because it was not cross platform (cant compete with the "free" Garage Band and Logic in the Mac ecosystem), because it was following a traditional monetization (box sales) when the industry changed to freeware like Reaper. It has NOTHING to do with being a weak product, having been "abandoned", or falling behind the curve.

Basically, they weren't Protools, they weren't Cubase, and they weren't Apple. And on the PC side, all the non-pros / bedroom recorders would rather use free Reaper than pay for Sonar.

Now that Sonar is free, I think Reaper will die. Why pay their "honorware" (or whatever $50 donation they require), to use software that is amateurish, with a team that just doesn't have the bandwidth to improve Reaper to the level of Sonar (ARA integration, superior UI, pro channel, etc)? This doesn't end well for Reaper. Even if Sonar development stopped, it would be five years before Reaper was able to catch up.

BrownNote71

Silver Supporting Member
I have a different opinion. Sonar Platinum has been a feature leader and was in no way "losing ground" to other DAWs. It was the first with ARA (Melodyne) integration which is a big deal, it has absolutely the best, most attractive, most flexible user interface. And it is the (only) DAW with full touch integration. Its also quite stable and IMO, relatively efficient.

Regarding integration with hardware control surfaces... that is a trend that is passing. Having a dedicated monitor(s) with touch control is where it is heading. That said, Sonar supports all the Mackie protocols and has surface learning features that I thought worked well.

Elastic audio and midi? Loop construction and time stretching supported, but who else does this as well as Ableton? Ironically cakewalk used to be regarded as the strongest in midi; I'm not sure what features you are missing. I think that scoring is the only weakness of Sonar in this realm.

Why did Cakewalk "fail"? Its primarily because it was not cross platform (cant compete with the "free" Garage Band and Logic in the Mac ecosystem), because it was following a traditional monetization (box sales) when the industry changed to freeware like Reaper. It has NOTHING to do with being a weak product, having been "abandoned", or falling behind the curve.

Basically, they weren't Protools, they weren't Cubase, and they weren't Apple. And on the PC side, all the non-pros / bedroom recorders would rather use free Reaper than pay for Sonar.

Now that Sonar is free, I think Reaper will die. Why pay their "honorware" (or whatever $50 donation they require), to use software that is amateurish, with a team that just doesn't have the bandwidth to improve Reaper to the level of Sonar (ARA integration, superior UI, pro channel, etc)? This doesn't end well for Reaper. Even if Sonar development stopped, it would be five years before Reaper was able to catch up.
Sonar is huge in the Hip Hop community. Ton of hit records made with it.

Sascha Franck

It'll probably never cease to amaze me how you manage to come up with such completely uninformed bragging.

soundbee

Double Platinum Member
It would be great to free up a controller - Does anyone know how I can "double duty" a switch to do both tap tempo AND tuner on/off? I'm fine if the tuner turns on/or while tap...?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom