New BOSS GT-1000 Guitar Effects Processor

LaceSensor1

I’ve discovered a great reverb trick and want to share. I’m sure many of you know how to do this or already going this. I think the GT1000 reverbs sound incredible however I’m not able to replicate my amp reverbs tonality with the available parameters within the reverb effect. My solution is to use a 100% wet, parallel path reverb with an eq block placed after the reverb. This allows me to eq the reverb only and leave the dry signal unaltered by my reverb eq block.

Setup:
Move divider 3 into the B path of divider 2
Move reverb and eq into the B path of divider 3
Set divider 3 for Dual mode (stereo)
Set reverb 100% wet w/ 0 dry
Adjust divider 3 B:Level to control reverb mix

The reverb effect is now switchable using the divider 2 A/B path. Also the eq block on/off can be assigned for quick comparison.

This allows me to add some mids into the reverb effect which brings a whole new pallet to the available reverbs. And completely customizable to taste using the eq. I like to warm up the reverbs with mid boosts and high cuts.

E8A73CA5-9E68-4A92-98DB-00A99D401926.jpeg

guitarchitect

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve discovered a great reverb trick and want to share. I’m sure many of you know how to do this or already going this. I think the GT1000 reverbs sound incredible however I’m not able to replicate my amp reverbs tonality with the available parameters within the reverb effect. My solution is to use a 100% wet, parallel path reverb with an eq block placed after the reverb. This allows me to eq the reverb only and leave the dry signal unaltered by my reverb eq block.

Setup:

The reverb effect is now switchable using the divider 2 A/B path. Also the eq block on/off can be assigned for quick comparison.

This allows me to add some mids into the reverb effect which brings a whole new pallet to the available reverbs. And completely customizable to taste using the eq. I like to warm up the reverbs with mid boosts and high cuts.

View attachment 683810

I do parallel reverb as well, but a little differently. I run two dividers, one for delay and one for reverb, each set parallel to the dry signal. I assigned knobs to control the mix of each. Both of these effects sounds better to my ears this way. I am going to try your method of adding EQ to warm up the sound - great idea! Are you using a parametric or graphic EQ in the EQ block? Thanks!

Here is a screen shot of the relevant section of my chain with EQ blocks now added:

Untitled 3.png

LaceSensor1

I do parallel reverb as well, but a little differently. I run two dividers, one for delay and one for reverb, each set parallel to the dry signal. I assigned knobs to control the mix of each. Both of these effects sounds better to my ears this way. I am going to try your method of adding EQ to warm up the sound - great idea! Are you using a parametric or graphic EQ in the EQ block? Thanks!

Here is a screen shot of the relevant section of my chain with EQ blocks now added:

View attachment 684372

I'm using a parametric eq for this application.

TheCodeMonk

Calming Derpiness
Platinum Supporting Member

Setup:

View attachment 683810
I'm not sure I necessarily understand the purpose of div2. Couldn't you also just turn on/off the rev/eq4 block with an assign? (and use the divider elsewhere? Might just be me but I'm often looking for another divider)

LaceSensor1

I'm not sure I necessarily understand the purpose of div2. Couldn't you also just turn on/off the rev/eq4 block with an assign? (and use the divider elsewhere? Might just be me but I'm often looking for another divider)

I’m only using this unit for reverb and delay. Sometimes I’ll engage the noise suppressor. So I’ve always got an extra divider available.

Your idea seems logical however it hurts my brain to consider the gain staging when using the dual/stereo divider where one side has a much lower mix. If turning off the combo reverb/delay with assign, this still leaves the direct sound on a parallel path which seems odd to me.

Im approaching this like I would in a DAW/mixing scenario, so I think of parallel paths as a 100% wet signal. I would never create a parallel direct path to blend with my direct signal. If that makes sense.

If I were to use only one divider in A or B mode, the EQ would be effecting the entire signal as I would not be able to use a 100% wet reverb path.

guitarchitect

Gold Supporting Member
I’m only using this unit for reverb and delay. Sometimes I’ll engage the noise suppressor. So I’ve always got an extra divider available.

Your idea seems logical however it hurts my brain to consider the gain staging when using the dual/stereo divider where one side has a much lower mix. If turning off the combo reverb/delay with assign, this still leaves the direct sound on a parallel path which seems odd to me.

Im approaching this like I would in a DAW/mixing scenario, so I think of parallel paths as a 100% wet signal. I would never create a parallel direct path to blend with my direct signal. If that makes sense.

If I were to use only one divider in A or B mode, the EQ would be effecting the entire signal as I would not be able to use a 100% wet reverb path.
Your post inspired me to go and experiment with my main patch. Previously using a divider to set up reverb in parallel (100% wet with direct level at zero), I was adjusting the level of the wet path B and leaving dry path A at 100. I then tried setting both A and B level to 100, and using the A/B Balance instead to bring in the right amount of Reverb. This method sounds even better somehow, probably because the effect path at level 100 is letting more of the reverb detail through.

I don't totally understand why, but running delays and reverb 100% wet in parallel to the dry signal has a livelier, clearer sound. It's how it would be done at a studio mixing console, as you mention. What's amazing is that emulating this method with a virtual digital signal chain seems to provide the same sonic benefits.

LaceSensor1

Your post inspired me to go and experiment with my main patch. Previously using a divider to set up reverb in parallel (100% wet with direct level at zero), I was adjusting the level of the wet path B and leaving dry path A at 100. I then tried setting both A and B level to 100, and using the A/B Balance instead to bring in the right amount of Reverb. This method sounds even better somehow, probably because the effect path at level 100 is letting more of the reverb detail through.

I don't totally understand why, but running delays and reverb 100% wet in parallel to the dry signal has a livelier, clearer sound. It's how it would be done at a studio mixing console, as you mention. What's amazing is that emulating this method with a virtual digital signal chain seems to provide the same sonic benefits.

Today I had an idea that I may be able to use an EQ or some sort of gain reduction in front of the EQ to act as a send control, as compared to adjusting the mix using the divider mix. Not sure if this would sound good/bad/better/worse.

The applications of parallel paths within the GT1000 is truly one of its great features. Could be used for parallel compression as well.

AriBoiangiu

Silver Supporting Member
QUESTION: I want use my gt-1000 core with my acoustic. I have a wonderful nylon IR i bought from 3 sigma, but you can't use the cab sim without an amp sim. Is the TRANSPARENT amp really transparent? What settings are "true bypass" so to speak on TRANSPARENT? Thanks!

Fireheart7

QUESTION: I want use my gt-1000 core with my acoustic. I have a wonderful nylon IR i bought from 3 sigma, but you can't use the cab sim without an amp sim. Is the TRANSPARENT amp really transparent? What settings are "true bypass" so to speak on TRANSPARENT? Thanks!
My acoustic nylon patch is a dual A B path of Transparent and Natural, to get different flavors. I also use a nylon IR. However, I do have an EQ after a compresor to tame freqs to my liking, and use resonance blocks as well.
You will be fine with the Transparent honestly. FWIW, been playing nylon strings longer than anything else (over 30 years), and I like the tones I can get from it. But be ready to tweak some .
Good luck.

PAH

if an amp is active on the first path but level at 0, this works
You need:
1) the divider set to dual mode.
2) Amp enabled but with level = 0 in one path of divider
3) mixer set to stereo mode

The path with the amp will be silent because of level = 0. The other path will be ampless. Silence mixed with ampless => ampless. The speaker sim after the mixer will still be active because the GT thinks there is an active amp in the path.

porcytree

Just re-discovering the joys of this unit.

Put all my guitar gear away just before Christmas as we needed the room (for a bigger than normal family get together ) and haven't been near a guitar since then.
Have been messing around with VST Synths for most of this year but recently hooked up my GT-1000 to my amp again. ( updated to latest firmware )

Loving it.

Had forgotten how responsive the amp models are on this thing.

I'm almost exclusively using the Supreme Amp for my British ( Marshall ) tones and the Natural Amp for my American ( Fender ) tones. ( usually using my Tele, Jazzmaster , Gretsch and LP Jnr )

The Supreme has been a surprise to me as it is one of the amp models i really didn't like when I first got the unit.....love it now.

The Natural, i tend to use it in it's HIGH gain setting and use a combo of pre-amp Gain and guitar volume adjustment to dial it in. Can go from edge of break-up into full Tube Amp overdrive.

If I need super Hi Gain tones then I use X-Hi Gain / X - Modded models ( with my LP )

I also quite like the Boutique and X-Crunch models for low-gain / edge of break-up stuff .....though I really like these only for SC neck pick-ups.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom