• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New BOSS JB-2 Angry Driver

StormJH1

It's hard to weed through this thread unfortunately but....

What makes the combo of a BD-2 and an Angry Charlie greater than the sum of its parts other than price? I've never heard of people stacking these two and it being a great combination, is it? The double barrel, the D&M, the steak and eggs, etc.. you can see the logic behind the combinations there. What's the logic from a sonic perspective of combining these two?
That was the other question I had. I know that the Blues Driver gets used as a booster in front of gainy stuff a fair amount, but that's not even really how this works. You have to either set it up with a footswitch (in which case it becomes 2 pedals, not 1), or just pick a stacked setting, which just makes it a gainy, muddier Angry Charlie. For $200, you could look at a lot of dual switch drives with boost switches.

tobereleased

It's hard to weed through this thread unfortunately but....

What makes the combo of a BD-2 and an Angry Charlie greater than the sum of its parts other than price? I've never heard of people stacking these two and it being a great combination, is it? The double barrel, the D&M, the steak and eggs, etc.. you can see the logic behind the combinations there. What's the logic from a sonic perspective of combining these two?
Based on the intro video, there was a decision to collaborate first, and after they made that decision they used an ES8 to try different blends of Boss and JHS pedals (ES8 can change the order as well as running loops in parallel). Boss chose the angry charlie because it was the most different from their own offerings, the exact reasoning for choosing the BD2 was less clear, although Josh from JHS clearly has a soft spot for it in the video.

juri

Based on the intro video, there was a decision to collaborate first, and after they made that decision they used an ES8 to try different blends of Boss and JHS pedals (ES8 can change the order as well as running loops in parallel). Boss chose the angry charlie because it was the most different from their own offerings, the exact reasoning for choosing the BD2 was less clear, although Josh from JHS clearly has a soft spot for it in the video.
That seems to be a bad start, I think you start from something that sounds good and than choose to combine the two.

Ro S

Boss want the collab for the dosh. Same for JHS.

Boss could've come up with a new circuit to accompany the JHS circuit, but no, they chose the easy route. After all, when did Boss last bring a new, decent dirt pedal or anything new and interesting in a compact pedal?

leblee

Silver Supporting Member
I gotta say I really like the idea of a collaboration but like others I would have chosen a different pairing.

IMHO this is the route Boss should have gone: Metal Zone + DOD Grunge. UNBEATABLE.

Now the Blues Driver + Angry Charlie doesn't sound that bad, amirite?

chrisross

I love how complex this is.

If you don't like the pedal for ANY reason, don't buy it. You don't even have to tell anyone you won't buy it...because no one cares if you do or don't.

If you like the pedal for ANY reason, and can afford it, buy it.

Can the rest of the thread be about the pedal that no one has played yet please?

billp

Intrigued by this pedal.

Other than Bea's, the few demos out there are beyond awful. Bea's sounds good (properly mic'd and all that) but I don't play his tyke of music.

I'm more interested in the design of this pedal and hopefully it leads to Boss releasing some of their own pedals in combo form. A BD-2/OD-3 is gold Jerry, gold. RV-6/TR-2 would be another to give us a poor mans Flint.
100% agreed. This concept leads to MANY possibilities. I love stacking pedals...........Boss can start releasing their pedals in this format.......imagine the combinations.

Top Bottom