New Boss Nextone Special

BroomH

I am curious to try one. I have a Roland Blues Cube Artist and I really enjoy playing with it. It changed my preconceptions on non-tube amps. This seems to hit a sweet spot between features and analogue operation. Although those may be too many knobs for me!

I am curious to try one. I have a Roland Blues Cube Artist and I really enjoy playing with it. It changed my preconceptions on non-tube amps. This seems to hit a sweet spot between features and analogue operation. Although those may be too many knobs for me!
Roland taught me the perils of being a tube snob .. My '78 Roland JC-120 has been a tried and true performer .. Since taking ownership of it in 1980, I have only replaced a a single fuse and it still sounds great

Great Sound
+ Reliability
R O L A N D

Axe-Man

That voiceover...that is fricken TERRIBLE. Boss...kill that promo...now...for the love of your product...

It sounds pretty good...‘til they got to the LP which sounded decent but a bit fizzy.

I applaud the ply cab (if correct) and the Waza ‘Blue’ speaker. Great additions.

Needs some additional demos but the low to medium gain stuff was pretty impressive in the demo. But that was through the nails on blackboard voice over...so it was hard to tell...

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
That voiceover...that is fricken TERRIBLE. Boss...kill that promo...now...for the love of your product...
I know, right?? It reminds me of the guy in the Kia Turbo commercial. Would have been way more effective if they'd just left it instrumental.

I thought it sounded really good, and they're only getting better, but I'm not the target buyer.

howdycb

BOSS After Dark ...

It sounds pretty good...‘til they got to the LP which sounded decent but a bit fizzy.

I applaud the ply cab (if correct) and the Waza ‘Blue’ speaker. Great additions.

Needs some additional demos but the low to medium gain stuff was pretty impressive in the demo. But that was through the nails on blackboard voice over...so it was hard to tell...

harvey j

I would give it an honest shot .. Roland/Boss has more than proven the quality and performance of their products to me since the mid 70s ...i have no good cause to have negative preconceived notions
The nextone amp is a waste of money, you need the computer to do everything, there is no storage, the reverb sucks, i returned mine and purchased a Katana mark 2 a much better amp for less money.

Axe-Man

Doesn’t this one now have 3 storage slots plus panel (like the Katanas), a better WAZA level speaker and a ply cab? Plus the tweakable FX without a PC.

It seems like a pretty good package really.

The nextone amp is a waste of money, you need the computer to do everything, there is no storage, the reverb sucks, i returned mine and purchased a Katana mark 2 a much better amp for less money.

Jim234

The issue with the Nextone for me is that it is very difficult to get an decent edge of break up sound from the Clean Channel.

On the Blues Cube turning up the channel volume increases the pre-amp distortion and turning up the master adds power amp distortion. If this a whistle and bells version of the old Nextone then it's not for me - I won't upgrade since I have worked out my sounds, if they have re-voiced and added pre-amp distortion as with the BC then I would be very interested.

I own Nextone Artist btw

Last edited:

fuzz guy

It fills a niche, clearly not one you're interested in though. I love my Nextone Stage, because once setup with the editor software I have four different customized two channel amps in one. Combined with boosts and tone shifts that's all the sounds I need from one amp.

The issue with the Nextone for me is that it is very difficult to get an decent edge of break up sound from the Clean Channel.

On the Blues Cube turning up the channel volume increases the pre-amp distortion and turning up the master adds power amp distortion. If this a whistle and bells version of the old Nextone then it's not for me, if they have re-voiced and added pre-amp distortion as with the BC then I would be very interested.
I can get that with mine on the the clean channel. And why would they need to re-voice it? You can do it yourself with several different places to tweak the EQ. If you can't get a sound you like out of one, you're not trying much.

Jim234

It fills a niche, clearly not one you're interested in though. I love my Nextone Stage, because once setup with the editor software I have four different customized two channel amps in one. Combined with boosts and tone shifts that's all the sounds I need from one amp.

I can get that with mine on the the clean channel. And why would they need to re-voice it? You can do it yourself with several different places to tweak the EQ. If you can't get a sound you like out of one, you're not trying much.
Sorry @fuzz guy I just re-clarified my post. I own a Nextone Aritist and really like it, no intention of selling it. It has its niggles, but what amp doesn't. I treat it differently to the BC and can resolve my Blackface itch on the clean and get Marshall Esq tones on the crunch.

I think in its favour, looks like you can alter the characteristics of the power amp (bass, treb) on the front rather than having to dive into the editor, and of course the separate EQ is going to fix a lot of issue that you can only resolve by diving into the software.

( . )( . )

Fool’s
Gold Supporting Member
I’m going to buy one of these from Sweetwater and compare it to my 1965 blackface Princeton and blonde Jensen-loaded DRRI (6V6), 1961 blonde Bassman piggyback with a 1x12 tone ring cab with original Oxford (6L6), Mesa Rectoverb 25 combo (EL84), and Marshall Mini Jubilee combo (EL34).

Since I have all of the power amp types it emulates, it should be interesting. I actually have pretty high hopes, as I’ve been impressed with the newer Roland/Boss gear.

If I love it, it may be the perfect grab and go for me.

If I hate it, I should be able to sell it easily or return it if necessary.

Last edited:

Boomdoggy

Silver Supporting Member
I’d like to wait and hear some reviews. If they do it right it could be really good.

Trending Topics