New Boss Tuners TU-3w

AshMaui

New Waza TU-3w and TU-3s!

With the TU-3W, BOSS brings Waza Craft mojo to the world’s leading stompbox tuner. At its core, the TU-3W provides rock-solid tuning equivalent to the industry-standard TU-3. In true Waza tradition, the pedal’s benchmark functionality is further enhanced with BOSS skill and craftsmanship. Pure, uncolored signal transfer is essential for a tuner, and the TU-3W features redesigned circuitry with selectable buffered or true-bypass operation and the most transparent audio pass-through possible. Packing high-end performance for discriminating players, the TU-3W delivers a premium pedal experience only available from BOSS.

http://www.boss.info/products/tu-3w/

Last edited:
+- 1 cent
Polytune: +- .1 cent
Turbo Tuner: +- .02 cent

Just sayin.
Do you really think it makes any difference whatsoever?

I've used a Boss TU-2 for the past 7 or 8 years, playing at gigs to over 5,000 people, and not once have I ever struggled to get my guitar in tune. Not once.

Little spec differences like this make zero difference in performance.

P8t8r

That is so true!

Always on and ready to go, the TU-3S is perfect for use with pedal switching systems like the BOSS ES-8 and ES-5, and ideal for any setup where space is at a premium

Kaji

They look nice and all, but I don't think these new models warrant replacing my standard TU-3 any time soon.

Are there any tangible advantages to the TU-3w?

Enusire

Do you really think it makes any difference whatsoever?

I've used a Boss TU-2 for the past 7 or 8 years, playing at gigs to over 5,000 people, and not once have I ever struggled to get my guitar in tune. Not once.

Little spec differences like this make zero difference in performance.
For me a tuner have three tasks:

1. Being sturdy
2. Tune fast
3. Tune accurate

If I have the choice to get a tuner which is more accurate - one of the main purposes of a tuner - then I definitely prefer that.

just a silly nitpicking-thought: If you tune your guitar more accurate it takes more time to get out of tune..... :p:rolleyes:

For me a tuner have three tasks:

1. Being sturdy
2. Tune fast
3. Tune accurate

If I have the choice to get a tuner which is more accurate - one of the main purposes of a tuner - then I definitely prefer that.

just a silly nitpicking-thought: If you tune your guitar more accurate it takes more time to get out of tune..... :p:rolleyes:
The Boss offerings, even the TU-2 and TU-3, are certainly sturdy, can certainly tune fast (especially the TU-3), and are perfectly accurate. Sure the specs may say others are more accurate, but I HIGHLY doubt the difference will be audible.

tobereleased

The Boss offerings, even the TU-2 and TU-3, are certainly sturdy, can certainly tune fast (especially the TU-3), and are perfectly accurate. Sure the specs may say others are more accurate, but I HIGHLY doubt the difference will be audible.
Yeah, if you're worried about 0.1 of a cent, you probably should also be worried about the fact that the note will actually vary by more than that over it's duration - do you tune for the sharper start of the note or the flatter tail?

I know that variations on that level, while audible to me, don't provide any overall issue when playing live.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
IMO, tuning is primarily about accuracy, secondary would be speed.

The new Korg Mini Tuner (which I'm going to be getting shortly) is $69.99, and is .01 cent. That's 100x more accurate than this Boss.

EDIT:
Best thing about this tuner news is that it shows there were some things they DIDN'T announce at Winter NAMM, so maybe they'll show up with an RV-500 at Musikmesse!

Last edited:

dean owens

These look cool but I'll never understand why people get so up in arms about tuners. My TU-2 has served me well for over 10 years now. Doubt I'll get anything else until it dies.
I'm right there with you. My TU-2 has served me well for 15 or so years and no one has ever said I sounded out of tune or the buffer was messing up my tone.

On a side note... I do need to pick up a smaller tuner for a pt-mini board. I was going to get a mini turbo tuner but I just checked out the mini korg mentioned above. Any reason I shouldn't just get the korg for half the price? Is the mini turbo really worth double? Keeping in mind I've been fine with the TU-2. I'm mainly worried about durability and longevity.

Trending Topics