New (Bowie) knife day...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Strat335, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Strat335

Strat335 Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I sent the specs to my friend Wes Davis at Carolina Bowies about 8 wks ago and he sent me the knife I've been waiting for, exactly as I asked. I have been practicing a particular Kali-related form style with other knives for a long time, but about a year ago I ran into someone who was an expert in all things Bowie, and he has made a believer out of me. I have always liked them, of course, and being a Texan they are sort of talked about from the time I was a boy ..but I didn't really know all the virtues of a Bowie as a fighting knife. I have now come to the conclusion they are not just an interesting part of history, they are the best fighting knives in the world, in my opinion. Just MY opinion. Anyway, here is my new one, I should have gone with the handle he recommended, I wrap mine before working out to make it bigger. I told my wife it's so pretty that I will mainly use this one for ceremonial and holiday executions. :) But believe me, it's fully functional. 5160 spring steel, back clip is sharp for the back cut, and it is very "fast"...a little blade heavy for the "pop", which will split bone. I hardly ever buy myself anything (I'm playing through a Mustang ! if that tells you anything) so I'm pretty proud of my knife, which I have named "Smite" . :)

2. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Now that's a knife. :)

3. THebert

THebert Member

Wow, nice one!

Strat335 likes this.
  4. TheRooster31

TheRooster31 Member

Cool knife. But what makes it better then a karambit if your into kali

Strat335 and derekd like this.
  5. derekd

derekd Member

I like karambits for kali/arnis, but a bowie will give you range, which is preferable if the other person is armed, imo.

Strat335 likes this.
  6. s2y

s2y Member

Did you take it to a job interview?

7. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

Cool knife! Great cowboy hat!

Strat335 likes this.
  8. Strat335

Strat335 Member

It was answered. Range. You can disarm someone before they get inside if you know what you are doing. And when I say disarm, I mean literally. :)

derekd likes this.
  9. paris is burnin

paris is burnin Member

Cut some rope with that bad boy

Strat335 likes this.
  10. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

You can say "Go 'head, make......my.......Day" with that one. :aok

11. Strat335

Strat335 Member

I will do some cutting with it. I am not up to full speed at all, still recovering from a stroke and I have one torn disk, one herniated disk, and one broken piece of disk that is rubbing against my spinal cord when I move the wrong way. But I am working on it, I can get to half speed or so.

derekd likes this.
  12. davess23

davess23 Member

Pardon my ignorance, since I don't know knives all that well, but yours looks like an unusually large Bowie knife. The other ones I've seen were smaller. IIRC, the whole knife was about as long as just the blade on yours. What size is standard for one of these knives?

Strat335 likes this.
  13. Strat335

Strat335 Member

They can be 8 to 16 inches long that I have seen, but most of the great ones to me are between 9-13 inches. The Cold Steel Natchez Bowie which has one of the best designed (shaped) Bowie blades I've ever seen has an 11 inch blade. Mine is 13 inches. There are Civil War era Bowies that are very long, almost swords. The man that built mine, Wes Davis (Carolina Bowies) makes Civil War era Bowies and they are all pretty good size. I should have just said they come in all sizes.

14. finwhale

finwhale Member

Check out this web page and tell what you think of their work vs price

http://www.mineralmountain.com/knives.htm

they make a really cool Bowie

[​IMG]

I picked up something like this but with a straight handle - actually wished i would have purchased this one !

[​IMG]

years back Phill Hartsfield made these - and I regret not getting one while he was alive

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  15. Strat335

Strat335 Member

I will check out their page when I get back in, but for me...a knife that I use has to have a big guard, the bigger the better for me. If you ever watch or study murder investigations, any time someone is killed with a knife, they will look for blood from the attacker, and that's because when you hit bone with a knife, and your adrenalin is pumping, your hand WILL slip up over a small guard or if there is no guard, and right on to the blade. I do like that last one, I will check them out.

16. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

[​IMG]

I like the Puma Bowies ...