New Brad Paisley "This is Country Music" CD released today...

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
I just ripped it into iTunes and loading to iPod now...I'll give it a listen while mowing the lawn this afternoon.

I've heard two tracks so far the title and "Old Alabama" on the radio - both are very good.

There was a little paper inside the jewel box announcing in Nov. 2011 Brad will publish his first book "Diary of a Player" - How my Musical Heroes made a guitar man out of me....Hmmm, this sounds like a great read.

Anthony Gring

Gold Supporting Member
I'll definitely get it. Prolly the CD though then upload to my ipod. Should be a good book too. I'm in. Brad is an amazing guy.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks for the reminder, I downloaded it this morning and have listened through it. Man that guy is a great singer, great player, great tonesmith, great everything. :aok

tapeworm

it's a great album, Paisley has singlehandedly gotten me into country music, something I thought would never happen

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
well, after 2 listens on the mower, I have to say BP has put together his best (imho) CD since "Mud on the Tires"...the songs are just great - I seriously laughed on a few, cried on one ("Remind Me" is too close to home) and thought how Brad can really grab your head and heart with his lyrics on this one. I liked that the playing wasn't over the top on every tune, more atmospheric in some cases...favs are "This is Country Music", "Remind Me", "Old Alabama" and "A Man Don't Have to Die" (a great timely piece)....kudos BP for a great collection for the summer.

Last edited:

tapeworm

Remind Me is destined to be a #1 hit on the country chart at the very least. working on a tan is some super playing.

DrumBob

Brad is an amazing musician all around, and a nice guy. He's one of the only current country players I can handle.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Good to hear he's not just doing those super-fast mind-boggling runs on every song like he has done in the past.

It gets old after a while, even if it is amazing.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Good to hear he's not just doing those super-fast mind-boggling runs on every song like he has done in the past.

It gets old after a while, even if it is amazing.
DUde, I buy his CDs for the great songs AND for the super-fast mind-boggling runs... It makes me either want to practice more or just give up... I'm not sure...

I'll pick up my copy today probably.

deluxeman

Good Songs mostly, I really like Brad and his playing but I feel his tone is getting worse as his voice is getting better. I used to really love his tone but now not as much, no top end it seems pretty compressed and mushy, maybe overly delayed. Still love the guy and his playing.

Does anyone else think the duet with Carrie Underwood is horrible except me?

traviswalk

In the Great State
Good Songs mostly, I really like Brad and his playing but I feel his tone is getting worse as his voice is getting better. I used to really love his tone but now not as much, no top end it seems pretty compressed and mushy, maybe overly delayed. Still love the guy and his playing.

Does anyone else think the duet with Carrie Underwood is horrible except me?
I do think there was a touch too much delay on some tunes. And I thought the Underwood duet worked, she's a killer singer.

FatTeleTom

After a few listens, I give it a definite thumbs up. Musically very strong. Guitar tones and playing really work for me. That might change after some closer listens, but so far I really like it. Some really nice songwriting as well.

From a lyric/content standpoint, it is a little disappointing to me personally that Brad had to target the record this aggressively at his core country audience, but I understand why he had to do so.

From what I've read in interviews, he knew going in that he would probably lose a few folks with "American Saturday Night" from a content standpoint, and he probably knew back then that the next record would have to tilt a little bit further back towards the other side of that cultural bridge he straddles.

And although I'm not part of that core audience, Brad's stuff generally all works for me, and most of this one does too, although there are a few moments I could have without.

Funny, though, while it's clearly a "calculated" move on Brad's part (as are all of his albums in many ways), it never strikes me as "phony". He knows what he needs to do to sell albums and fill concert halls, but at the same time, I think he (more or less) feels and believe everything he writes and sings.

I have to say, the Underwood duet really isn't working for me either. Yes, it's a powerhouse voice, but not a voice or tone that really appeals to me. Obviously it appeals to a lot of other people though, but I'd rather he bring Dolly back for another guest spot any day.

guitarlifestyle

I like guitars.
Gold Supporting Member
I'm not a big country music fan, but I really enjoy Paisley's music. I've listened to most of this new album and really like it so far.

telelion

I'll give it another listen but I don't think he has done anything of real quality since "Time Well Wasted." His first four CD's were excellent IMO. I think Brad is pandering bigtime which I think is a bad career move, in the long run. I think the song writing and production are becomming a parody, even his guitar playing.

Admittedly he is in an unforgiving business, especially country. Also I have only listened to it once but I really don't think my opinion will change. And it pains me, because I know all his work, have been influenced by him and I am an old dog at country playing with a B-bender for decades. I've even been in touch a few times with his "guitar people" including his tech because of my interest and appreciation of who I think is one of the modern great players. I expected more after the other recent dismal efforts but I hope he has success with it as he surely deserves it.

chervokas

I'll give it another listen but I don't think he has done anything of real quality since "Time Well Wasted." His first four CD's were excellent IMO. I think Brad is pandering bigtime which I think is a bad career move, in the long run. I think the song writing and production are becomming a parody, even his guitar playing.

Admittedly he is in an unforgiving business, especially country. Also I have only listened to it once but I really don't think my opinion will change. And it pains me, because I know all his work, have been influenced by him and I am an old dog at country playing with a B-bender for decades. I've even been in touch a few times with his "guitar people" including his tech because of my interest and appreciation of who I think is one of the modern great players. I expected more after the other recent dismal efforts but I hope he has success with it as he surely deserves it.

I thought 5th Gear and Play were both excellent, but I thought American Saturday Night sounded a little tired. The new one is better, but he has settled into a bit of a formula, that's true.

_MonSTeR_

I always love the instrumental tracks on Brad's albums and "Eastwood" is probably my favourite so far.

Trending Topics