New Bridge pickup buzz in tele w/4 way switcher

guitarman92

Hey guys, I just a Lollar 52 special for my tele. (Side note, I have the Emerson 4 way switcher in my tele).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I have a John Mayer Big Dipper neck pickup in the neck. It does not have the 3 wires currently that is shown in the 4 way switch diagram, however, the neck is fine and has never given me trouble, and is not doing so now. And this has also worked before I switched out the pickups.

I installed it just as my other bridge pickup was installed, thinking it should be installed the same way. After installing it I went and plugged it in. The pickup sounded great! Minus the fact that the 2 and 4 positions were very tinny and about 50% quieter when selected.

I read up on it and it sounded exactly what the out of phase sound was described as. So, just now I switched which wires went where. Now everything sounded as it should, except for a VERY loud buzz whenever I am touching the strings in the 1, 2, and 4 positions. When I am not touching the strings there is still a buzz. It's not nearly as loud, but it still shouldn't be THAT loud. Nothing has changed on the neck position.

I'll take any help I can get. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

flopman

Probably a grounding issue. Check the solder connection for the ground.

Interested to see what others say as I'm not familiar with the four way switch.

Trending Topics