New Budda amp review...need help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BadAssBill, Jun 9, 2006.

1. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Hello everone!!! Last night I took delivery of a Budda SD 30 II 2x12 combo. It sat in my garage for 24 hours because of work commitments before I could ever even plug it in. It is a great amp...that has a lot of strenghts and weaknesses. However, let me start with the weaknesses and see if you guys have run into this...and how I may fix them.

I tried this amp with my R7 and no pedals at all...just going off amp overdrive. My results may also vary once I hear the amp in the mx.
    Weakness:
    1. Bass repsonse. With the Bass dimed, the response is fair. Certainly not Marshall like Bass...not even 1974x good. Are there any known fixes for this besides swapping speakers?

2. Rythm muddiness. With the gain on...but not necessarily the volume up overdriving the speakers, the bar chords ring muddy. There is not a lot of string seperation or warmth to it. If I'm palm muting a bar chord...there isn't that sharp punch.

Now...to the good stuff:
    1. The amp sings every bit as good as a Marshall. Solo notes just sound fantastic. Double string bends are articulate and sharp. It will make you on your game...sloppy players need not apply here because it translates everything you do. It may be more forgiving in the mix, but by itself...it keep you honest ...and award you appropriatly.
    2. There are not a ton of knobs...but a ton of options. Pull knobs for brite, channel switching and a "modern" mode all make for a lot of combinations without being overly complicated. Add to that a Master volume, drive knob and Rhythm knob...and it's a very versital amp.
    3. I'm convinced that 30 watts is the perfect wattage for the working musician. It gives me enough headroom, and plenty of Gain if needed.
    4. The gain on this amp is very 1974x at times. A perfect blend of plexi...and even more reasonable volumes, with clean headroom. With the master volume the overall volume is easily controlled and no tone is lost even at near bedroom levels. This to me is a big deal, especially for the smaller clubs.

Anyway...that's the deal IMHO...anyone with extensive Budda knowledge please chime in with possible fixes for my bass challenges. Also...what is that HUGE tube in the back?

2. mlongano

mlongano Member

Hey Bill, congrats!!

Hope those with Budda experience chime in here and lend you their experience regarding the concerns you've mentioned.

Mike

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Hey man,

THere might be some good news, but I'm not quite sure if it applies to your combo.

A little story:

I own a budda superdrive 80 and a Bogner 4x12. This combination is what I've found to have GREAT tones through and through...

...but, I found a great deal on a budda 4x12 and I decided to buy it. It came and I was VERY excited to plug it in. The second I strummed a chord, I was dissapointed. To the point where I frowned and felt like like something was "broken"

I decided it may be something special with band mixes so I brought it to a gig. It sounded decent in a band situation, but as you said, bass wa non-existant and chords were a bit strange sounding.

I opened up the back to look at the speakers. And for reasons unknown to me, I decided to check up on the wireing of the speakers. Turns out, out of the budda factory, they wired the speakers off... out of phase. I double, triple, and quadruple checked to be sure I wasn't crazy. And sure enough 2 of the speakers were out of phase with the other two.

If you know anything about speakers, if they are out of phase, certain frequencies start to cancel out...like highs and lows. Mids stay where they are usually...or whatever.

I rewired it correctly, turned the amp on...and voila, bass was back. JUST as much bass as my V30s cab (though more vintage and less "tight" sounding simply because of the voicing of budda speakers)

So.... I tell you this story because you DO have a more rare 2x12 version of the budda Superdrive. Which makes me wonder if by chance one of the speakers are wired backwards. Look at the wiring and check it out. THats basically the only thing I can do to help.

Good luck!

4. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

It's the open back cab on that Budda combo. I had a similar problem with the same amp.

Try it though an Orange 2x12 or 4x12...and oh, bring a change of underwear with you when you do :)

5. BadAssBill

Thanks for all the input guys.
    They are WCR pickups in my R7...normal output I would assume, certainly more so than the single coils. But I don't have any challanges with my other amps with it. My HR Deluxe has an open cabinet as well (probably close to the Budda), but I'll see if I can come up with a way to close tha back of it. Maybe try putting it up against a wall while playing it as well.
    I have a Marshall 2x12 that I can put it through...I may try that at some point.

Any other input is greatly welcome.

6. orangekick

orangekick Member

I have a Budda Stringmaster and I popped it into a Budda 4x10 combo and I was nothing but disappointed with it. When I plug it into one of my 4x12's, it comes alive.

7. BadAssBill

Orange, do you think it had more to do with the cabinet or speakers?

8. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

When I had a SDII combo, I had the same issues. I got a set of GT EL84 S witha rating of 1 (high gain), and replaced all the pre's with JJs, and that made a huge difference.

9. orangekick

orangekick Member

My guess would be the cabinet, but I guess it could have been the speakers. I've heard mixed reviews about the Budda cabs and speakers. I just know that it made a huge difference when I plugged the Budda into my Ampeg 4x12 with G12H-30's.

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I still think you guys need to try the out of phase wireing issue I mentioned...

11. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I have an SD30II head that I plug into a Mojo 2x12 Bluesbreaker style cab with a G12M and G12H. I can't imagine there not being enough bass with this amp. I would double check the wiring - as Jubileeman suggested - just to make sure. If anything, I have almost too much bass with my amp (not problem though). As for the muddiness, you just need to crank it a bit and that goes away. JJ tubes help a lot too - especially the EL84s which thicken up the tone a bit more. At really low volumes I do find the amp woofy sounding in the bass and not really tight, but once you open it up some the amp just gets thick and chunky with a nice edge from the EL84s. My Les Paul sounds great through this amp - the best tone I've ever had.

12. SuperStrat

SuperStrat Member

I recently bought an SD30 and a Budda 2x12 cab. I think your problems are from the stock speakers and the open back combo. I tried mine with greenbacks, which sounded good......but H30s really shine, imo.

13. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I've got an SD30 head and it sounds tremendous. I'm running it with a Bogner 2x12 closed back cab. There is plenty of bass. I tried an 18 watt version in a combo at a store once and it didnt sound anywhere near as good as the SD30 head.

Before getting rid of the amp...I;d try a speaker replacement. I wouldnt think the open back would make that much of a difference. Mine sounded great with my Avatar 2x12 open back or even with the slat off on my bogner.

14. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

Hmmmm.... I don't know what to tell you. I play my SD30 through either a Budda 2-12(closed back with the Phat12 speakers), or a Mesa 2-12 (open back with Vintage30's). I get great bass response with either cab. I'm thinking that you might wanna try the "speakers-are- out-of -phase" fix that has been suggested.

15. jay66

jay66 Member

I'm running a Budda sd 18 through a closed back 210 cab with two ragin cajuns. I have the bass turned way down, plenty of bass and plenty tight too. The only time the bass is not tight is at very low volumes.

16. Denny

Denny Member

I have the 18 watt, 1x12 superdrive II and it is THE most amazing amp I've played! Better than my Boogs, marshalls, Fenders, Tophats, Dr. Z's - everything. It has an incerdible bass response - pretty oversided cabinet I think. I usually play with both channel volumes dimed and the master way down (while at home LOL) and every note, chord, double stop, bend - everything is defined. The only thing I did to the amp was install a channel balance knob on the back to adjust the volume differences while switching channels. I'd make sure the tubes are jproperly set in place and definately check the speaker wiring. The big tube is the rectifier tube. If you still can't figure it out - Jeff Bober at Budda is great and will talk you through anything you need to try. give him a call and get it from the "man" himself - this way you'll be sure you're doing the right thing.

Denny