1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

New Budda Wah - Where in Chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Oct 3, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks to advice here, I've got a Budda Wah on the way.

Haven't used a wah in freak'in eons. Where is the best location? I've got Boost/OD/Distortion/Chorus/Delay on my board. I'd imagine that running it after the Boost/OD/Distortion but before the time-based stuff is the best.

2. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

There are no rules to where you want to put it, but I would suggest first in your setup. Wah is traditionally used before your gain sources think Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Slash, and most anybody. Having a wah after your overdrive can produce some very unpleasant highs or muddy lows. Oh, and putting after a boost will cause the boost to overdrive the wah circuitry which is kinda nasty also. Again, order only matters if you play with multiple pedals on. Experiment and have fun!

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Angle. I'll experiment for sure, but your advice gives me a good starting point.

4. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

Yeah I have mine 1st (actually my TU2 tuner is right before it but that doesn't count :D). Always liked my wah before any other pedals but feel free to experiment.

5. street

street Member

Just to give a different view, I prefer my Vox 847 just before my delay, which is last and after all distortion and fuzzes.
    I find most all fuzzes want to be first in the chain.
    I just prefer the sound of the wah next to last. I've tried playing it first but it just doesn't sound right to me. It has a much more fluid sweep, tonally, when it 's after distortions and fuzz.

My setup with wah is:
    Strat/Tele -> Diamond Fireburst -> Rat or OCD -> Vox wah -> TC Vintage Delay -> Marshall 1974X

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey Street - no problems with overloading the Vox by having the OD/Dist first?

7. giggedy

giggedy Member

maybe fuzz, then wah, then the rest?

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

No fuzz for me at this time!

9. street

street Member

Hey Billy,
    No problems with OD first. I did the true bypass mod on the Vox and that helped alot. Less shrill now and doesn't have the volume spike when on, like it did preTB.
    I've wanted to like it first in my chain, but I don't get the sound I expect when it is. There's a strange "hump" in the sweep when you back off the heel down position, then it seems to almost cut out just before halfway, and then toe down is the higher end sound but a little rougher.
    It's much smoother sounding after the OD's and fuzz.
    I can get much closer to the Voodoo Chile sound and even the newer GnR stuff. It sounds more like a typical wah when it's next to last.
    I dunno, maybe it's just me.
    I tried it with my Fasel Crybaby Clasic and although it's a very different pedal, tone wise, the charchteristics were the same when placed first.

10. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I use mine first in the chain. It just sounded better to me when it was before the OD/distortion pedals.

11. 2nd_degree

2nd_degree Member

I have never had any luck placing a wah after anything else. You get too much added noise, weird EQ shifts, vol boost/drop. It's fun for experimental noise, but not practical in a regular set-up IMO. BTW I love my Bud Wah. It's my fav all-round wah ever. FWIW the last 2 I had were Fulltone Clyde and Pic Wah which were both excellent, but the Budda has been more useful for me.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

The Budda Wah certainly has a faithful following! Thanks for the encouraging word!!

13. drolling

drolling Member

I've had a few wahs, starting w/a Colorsound back in the late 60s, thru' a few Crybabys, and currently using a hot-rodded VOX-847 & a stock Bud Wah. I've experimented w/them all, and never liked the gnarly, cartoonish sound of any wah post-distortion, but ultimately, you'll have to let your own ears decide.

The Bud cuts thru' OD pretty good, whether it's coming from a pedal or a gainstage in the amp. I have a number of vintage-style fuzz/octavia pedals, too, and while the Bud doesn't slice thru' as effectively, at least it doesn't make that horrible high-pitched squealing that some wahs produce in front of a fuzz.

But I need a more pronounced wah effect, so that's when I pull out the Foxrox booster-loaded V-847. Seeing as you're not using fuzz (yet:):AOK), you should be good to go.

Don't forget to post back when you've hooked everything up & had a chance to play a bit!!

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey Drolling,
    Great info. I've owned plenty of fuzz's over the years, just not using 'em right now. I will post back once I get a chance to try out the Budda Wah.

15. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

my next wah will be a picture wah, but for me the budda rules! keep us posted, you will notice the quality more so in live band setting!:dude

16. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Tried it and I really like it. Extremely "vocal" as reported.

Here's an observation on the mechanical operation: as I was getting the feel of the switch, I found that I could actually turn off the signal by applying almost enough to operate the switch (I was sitting not standing at the time) - seems like an intermediate location on the switch. Maybe it just needs to be broken-in? Anyone else observe this?

17. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

stumped on that one. never happened with mine, anyone else?? sure it's minor, but still:jo glad you like the sound though. good luck.:confused:

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I'll probably return it. It's too unpredictable. I'd prefer to have an on/off Wah switch that did not include "no signal" as a 3rd position!

19. drolling

drolling Member

Very common problem in new wahs - Mine was the other way.. I had to practically jump on it to get the switch to click!

Here's the problem; the switch can be placed either too high (your case) or too low (mine). It's a very simple mechanical adjustment that you can do yourself. Loosen the nut holding the switch in position and pull it up a couple of millemeters higher - retighten, and you should be OK. Worth a shot before sending it back..

20. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Drolling
    Thanks! Did you mean to say that I need to "lower" my switch?

I understand how a switch that is too low will cause a situation where you really need to stomp it (so you raised yours), but how will a switch that might be too high (your suspicion) cause the signal to go dead? If the switch was simply in my hand and I was operating it, which position of the switch would produce no sound?