New Buddy Whittington CD

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by rhp52, May 22, 2011.

1. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

Buddy Whittington has released a new CD "Six String Svengali" that can be had buy contacting Cathy @ cathywhittington AT SBCGlobal dot net.
    11 new originals!
    Payment can also be made by PayPal using the email address above. Make sure you note what CD it's for

22.00 incl. postage. Getcha one

2. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

Hmmmmm - this is just weird IMO. Buddy is an insanely awesome player (and local to me) - but why not sell it through the normal channels? I can't imagine releasing a new CD and not selling it at least through iTunes, CDBaby, and Amazon.

And $22? That is an awful lot for a local Texan's CD IMO. I mean no disrespect to Buddy but that's about $10 more than most CDs seem to be going for today (sure there are some more/less but on average that's been what I see for most blues releases that I buy). I'm used to paying $19 or $20 for imported CDs... And speaking of imports... if you are in Europe, you can buy it for £10 (~$16) plus shipping.

Awesome name for the CD though :)

3. 69strat

69strat Member

I have his fist CD.. Love it.. I'm on the list for this one...

4. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

Yeah,I don't know the details, and you have valid points, but I'm buying just the same.

5. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Got it last week, best $22 I've spent in a long time. Classic Buddy all the way...clever lyrics, great vocals & playing, and varieties of cool tones to enjoy.

6. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

And there you go. Perfect example of economics.
    If people are willing to pay that amount, then more power to him.
    If not, then He'll have to lower the price to move more product.
    Simple.
    I love Buddy BTW.

7. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

Wait a minute... He (or his record company) is trying to reinvent the wheel, aren't they? They are doing mail-order sales in 2011 rather than internet sales, phone sales, or selling via major outlets (iTunes, Amazon, et al). Can you blame poor sales on the price or the choice of how to sell it (or both)?

This kind of thing is just so strange to me (the decision to not sell in the most popular outlets, not your post lol). I'm sure I'll catch #### for this in Dallas b.c it's Buddy ####### Whittington but this is just odd to me. It makes me question other decisions - recording, mixing, print quality, etc. I just don't understand it.

8. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Is it called Bag Full of Blues? I don't suppose Shakey Ground is on it by any chance? I love the live version on youtube (the one with him singing-I like it better than the one with the girl singing).
    I think $22 is a bit high. The only cd's I pay that much for are out of print rarity type things and then only begrudgingly. I hope he gets a wider distributership somehow.

9. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

10. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i've only seen buddy on mayall's 70th but he was fantastic. as far as the sales approach, i know of only one other band that does it that way. rather unusual.

11. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

Yea it is puzzling but, maybe he has enough sales to do it this way & can make up the diff. Gotta be a reason for it though.

12. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Thanks for the good news!

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I got the email from Buddy. I love his playing and I would rather see him get the money! $22 including postage is only about $17 for the CD and about $4 for postage, not bad.

I think they are trying to run a small operation.

14. Dana-L

Dana-L Supporting Member

I got mine and we've had it in near constant rotation. :)

Personally, I prefer to buy my music on CD and marvel that folks are willing to pay iTunes prices and get no physical product. The expression on Buddy's face while he's holding a Squier Strat in some British discount store (in the full color picture under the disc holder) is worth an extra buck all by itself!

I especially like knowing that most all of the cash I lay out goes to the benefit of the artist.

Bud's humor and virtuosity are on full display and it's a guitar fanatic's delight with copious references to classic artists, vintage guitar insanity, and passion for playing music (as well as hilarious tales of sexual and financial dysfunction).

More than worth every penny!

-Dana

15. Rumblur

Rumblur Member

Buddy's baaaaaaaaaad..... a very overlooked and under appreciated picker.

16. jamesrsmith

jamesrsmith Supporting Member

yeah,, you gotta pay postage,, this guy has a heart as big as texas, i dont mind paying a little extra AT ALL,, he got me in backstage once at a john mayall show and gave me his cell #, i go down to ft worth to see him as often as i can,, highly underrated vocalist as well as a guitar showman,,

17. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I saw Buddy with Mayall in the 90's. Before the set he was checking his rig, and i thought he was the roady. Then he plugged in, and made a fan of me.

18. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Kind of like that guy at a Gov't Mule show that I thought was the roadie. Then it turned out he was the roadie. But he looked a lot like the guitarist.
    Anyway, I'd just like some way of hearing sound samples like on amazon. I did go to his website and there's really no info, not even song titles. I guess I'll probably start with his first one-how do they compare?

19. Richeray

Richeray Supporting Member

Just ordered mine the other day. I also own his first 2 CD's. Well worth the price as far as I'm concerned.

20. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

Well here's my critique. It's good. It's Buddy good which means it swings, it rocks, it's bluesy, it's greasy, and above all it's mucho tasty.
    Just go get it. If you're already into Buddy's playing you can't be disappointed. If your new you'll be glad you did.