New Build: Early Ampeg Reverb Rocket...ish amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leonc, Apr 3, 2015.

1. straightblues

straightblues Member

Great build. I really like the Ampeg stuff. And all the other amps you have as well. We seem to have the exact same taste in amps.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Leon, these build threads of yours are Sofa King Cool! Looking forward to hearing some clips! :)

3. MVrider

MVrider Member

Thanks, Z!

4. arcey

arcey Supporting Member

Thanks for a great post! I've had a RRII for many years. Great tip about trying your tubes in the sockets first. I'll remember that one. I'm it was a nightmare to fix.

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Thanks gents!

Thanks! Yeah, I had an R12RT for a week or so and didn't pay a great deal of attention to the layout...but it did indeed look cramped...everything seemed to go straight up and down, with one component per vertical slot, was my impression. Kind of Gibsony...yeech, LOL. I made this perhaps a bit more "fender-like", if you will. There are a few very difficult areas in the schematic where you're just not going to be able to keep all the connections close together. E.g., where the signal leaves the final reverb recovery stage and heads into the PI...starts out of the plate of V2, goes through a few caps/resistor and winds up in grid one on V4. There are a few other places like that where you have to run a line from one part of your board to another area not near by...but overall, I was really happy with how it worked out in terms of low noise threshold and easy to follow/work on.

Yeah, sure wish that blue check was still available. You know it was; until just a year or two ago you could get it from CED or Mojo or Fliptops, IIRC. No one has it anymore. I ordered some of that "random black check" stuff from Bruce at Fliptops only to find out that it was backorderd for two weeks. So if I'm lucky, he'll be shipping some to me next week...meaning I won't get it for two more weeks. Bummer...but what're you gonna do?

:dunno

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

Dark grey-blue Ostrich, Seafoam Aqua, Deep Maroon, you could have some fun with it.

7. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Blue corduroy! Or denim. NO - houndstooth tweed.

BTW nice choice of circuits, though I may be (cathode) biased.
    [​IMG]

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

Smokey Blue Suede!

9. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

10. Leonc

Love that Denim look! Great suggestion. I'd consider that...but I've already got a plan...and that's to use the black check stuff I have on order from Flip tops, I'll be putting a ivory colored, Supro-style stripe around it with gold piping. It'll be sharp. That's the plan...but if I wind up waiting more than 2 weeks, I may cancel and go the denim direction...very cool!

11. Leonc

Well I've come up with a name and I'm having a faceplate made. It's going to be called the 'Verb-olo :)

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

Jessie

Verb-o-Rocket

Elsie

Lil' Peggy

Booster Rocket

Verb-ola like Beck Ola

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  13. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Great build Leon. I just got a Reverberocket R12RT about 2 weeks ago and was wondering why no one has ever built a newer version of this amp. :)

14. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

The R12R-T is my favorite of all the Reverberockets. It was the last of the top loaded series before the introduction of the Reverberocket 2. In theory, you would have to use five 12a*7 tube types if you were to rework the circuit without the compactrons, or go back to the R12R-M using four 12a*7 types and a tremolo module.

15. Leonc

Hey Mike, thanks.

Yeah, they're a bit different...SS rectifier sounds/feels quite a bit different IME.

FWIW, it's not an "easy" build like a 5E3, Champ or other tweed or even a brown Deluxe or Princeton...when you get into stuff with tremolo and reverb, it's going to get more difficult, time-consuming and expensive. There's no one making these chassis...no one's documented the layouts (far as I know), etc. And of course, you don't have legends like Neil Young, Billy Gibbons, Clapton, etc. claiming to have used one...so that eliminates 90% of the allure right there, I imagine. Fine with me...I actually get a bigger kick out of finding great sounding amps that are more or less undiscovered. ;)

16. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

I'm the same way. I prefer to find gear that has it's own unique sound that isn't a copy of what's already been done a thousand times before.

17. Leonc

Boom. Zactly.

Of course, in 2015 there's little that's truly "undiscovered" tone-wise...but there are certainly roads that aren't traveled as often.

18. MarkWW

MarkWW Member

Very cool build. I have 4 Ampegs. Two Gemini II's, a Jet II J12T and a Super Jet SJ12T. Something about Ampeg...

19. Leonc

Indeed; thanks Mark.

More progress. Got my faceplate from Sandy at Precision Design -- great work as per usual!

And I got the cabinet complete and ready to go, other than I don't have the damn tolex yet and no word on when it's going to arrive. :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. FFTT

FFTT Member

The model name actually appears to read Verb-ola which is fine by me.

Looks right spiffy!