New build question..GFS bodies

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarpreston, Apr 19, 2016.

1. guitarpreston

guitarpreston Member

How are they? Do the holes line up with fender stuff?
    They have an ash jazz master body with a strat trem with a swimming pool route, which is exactly what I want. They also have a poplar one but Im not sure about poplar for a guitar body. I have heard so many mixed reviews idk what to think. I know ash and alder are very similar and pretty much the staple body woods when it comes to fender stuff. Im wanting to build a HSH offset and that seems like a pretty good start. The ash body is 89 and the poplar is 55.

2. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I can only speak for a GFS Paulownia Tele body, It is a nicely made and finished body but I did have to drill new holes in a (allparts) Fender neck to fit it. The body holes did not line up.

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had a GFS Tele body that had more problems than it was worth. It ended up in the trash, lesson learned.

You only get what you pay for. Buy a dirt cheap body, expect dirt cheap results.

mojocaster.com likes this.
  4. the_rising

the_rising Silver Supporting Member

Supposedly their new top-end line, XGP, are supposed to be Fender-aligned.

5. guitarpreston

guitarpreston Member

Its an XGP that I am looking at. Im definitely skeptical of the paulownia bodies. Some people say they are awesome but as I said earlier, ash and alder are tried and true. Idk personally though.

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The neck pocket on the body I had didn't even line up with the bridge. As in way off...pos off...why did they bother off...

Their pickguards are great but if you gave me one of their bodies free I'd toss it in the trash.

7. guitarpreston

guitarpreston Member

Hmm. Warmoth has them for 60 bucks more...Seems like it would be worth the money to go for that to eliminate any chance of a hassle

8. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

I had three. Two needed significant work to fix, and the third ended up in the trash. Shame, because I love the weight and sound of paulownia. Compared to a professional product like Warmoth or Rutters or Musikraft or Wildwood, the fit and finish is a joke.