New Carvin V3 amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MusicGearGuys, Dec 13, 2005.

1. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

I watched the Quicktime demo of the V3 on the Carvin website, and the V3 has some great features. I dig the EFX loop switcher with the tail feature for live work.
    Anybody play one yet? The sound clips arent the best demo's IMHO.
    http://www.carvin.com/jamroom/rooms/V3/V3412.php

Gregory

2. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

I had one and sent it back after a week as did my bandmate but we both thought they sounded great for the $. THey are very cool but compared to the amps we currently have there was nothing to make either of us think we would want to keep it but it is a cool amp for the $. I hear Holdsworth sounded great through his last weekend.

3. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

MGG, didn't you guys used to have a shop off of 44th inArvada? What happened? Where is your shop now?

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I know the story, but will let you tell it.

And when will you be back in business? We need some quality alternatives to Guitar Center.

EP

5. oxtone

oxtone Member

Yea, I agree it has some great features. I also didn't like the sound clips much. The amp sounds too compressed for my taste. But, I'd have to hear it in person to make a better judgement. Wish I could go to the NAMM this year, but I just can't. A friend of mine has a Carvin endorsement, so he might get one. Then I could put it thru it's paces...I did get an email from Carvin indicating Alan Holdsworth is using the V3 now.

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

+1

It's exciting to see one of the large manufacturers release a new amp, but the clips sure sounded generic. I give Carvin credit, though, for offering the Legacy. Although, I've never found one to play, and am not willing to buy one to try one, there are some pretty impressive clips out there of it. It seems to be an amp outside of the mainstream. It doesn't look like the V3 is taking that to the next level.

But my above two-cents are only based on clips, my two Carvins were from the X series.

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Hey Steve! How would you compare it to something like a Peavey JSX or Triple XXX? Those amps are too compressed for me. Is the Carvin more open sounding or is it a very compressed high gain amp like most others out there?

Chris

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I have a JSX. Its only "compressed" (like most high gain amps)if you want it to be-(by turning up the gain) In other words I think by nature high gain is compressed. That said its a very articulate high gain amp.Doesnt leave anywhere to hide sloppy technique -even on the lead channel (unfortunately in my case lol !)Im amazed at the sonic ground mine covers. It truely opens up when pushed ,especially with the gain rolled back a bit. Only down side is that its extremely loud at that point. Id like to give the V-3 a test drive but Im tapped out this year. :>(

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I had a JSX and it lasted one week. No offense meant AT ALL, but that amp was way too compressed for me. I like how Marshalls and some other amps feel real "open" and "clear." It IS possible to have a high gain amp without that amount of compression.

Now with that said, I still thought the JSX was a great amp and I sometimes think I didn't give it enough time. But I definitely would've like it WAAAAAAY more if it was more open sounding. I don't think the JSX is very articulate or unforgiving at all. I think just the opposite. It was much easier to sound better on that amp than my Marshalls.

Chris

10. oxtone

oxtone Member

11. FPFL

FPFL Member

The Legacy is a righteous amp. I own one and have gigged with it for six months now. The clean isn't crystalline, but its BIG and very warm. The dirty channel is smooth and dark but not as compressed as Bogner's - which I've only dabbled with. It is a loud amp and it does sound better @ 100W. The volume taper on it is well done so 1.5 gets you 90% of the tone you get on 4, which beats the tar out of a lot of el34 amps I've played.

The Legacy responds well to guitar dynamics and rates favorably on taking well to pedals IMO. I don't use any additional pedals for tone in front of the amp, none needed. In the loop I run a ce-2 and a digital delay. Besides a tuner thats all I really need.

The bulid quality is neither great not terrible, but as Hasserl said its very clean, so its easy to beef up if you want to. IMO for the price $799 or so, its an absolute no brainer toneful home run.

12. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

13. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Cool Video! Thanx.

Thanks for the props guys.

Here is the deal.
    Divorce. Thats it, all 3 stores went bye bye. I also lost my house and my little girl. Its a long story actually.

I choose happiness and health in short.

All is OK now after 1 year. My little girl and I are great and thats the most important thing. My MS is getting better now and I just had some surgery about 3 weeks ago. I actually have been givin my first real guitar lessons last summer by an amazing player/teacher, Chris Lasegue. So watch out CC Deville :D

A new store will open the first quarter of 2006. I will be a manager. All used gear. Trades, consignments, buy, sell and so on.
    The one thing I miss is the Open stage I used to have.
    I'd push all the gear back, set up a live stage and bring in food and chairs every Sat. Night. The cash registers were turned off, and it was time to express ourselves through music.

Well its coming back ya all. Get your playlist together and lets have some fun.

I rather appeal to TGP as a player and not a merchant. I am a player and a gear junkie first. I just happen to want to be in the MI bussiness for punishment.

Anyway, I sure hope that Allan Holdsworth is at the Carvin booth at NAMM.
    He is a personal fave of mine.

Gregory

14. carltonh

carltonh Member

For those who've played the V3, anyone played it with a more musical cab than the standard G12T-75s? Seems that was the worst speaker to choose unless they wanted to aim it only for the death metal kids. Anyone try it with some warm and responsive speakers?

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

No offense but to give an amp a week-V-3 , JSX or any other is just way to short IMO. Ive played many high gain amps over the years(actually all I'll buy are high gain-) and the JSX is no more compressed than the Mesa,s Marshalls, Carvins Ive owned. Aside from that it seems to have an ability to remain articulate under very high gain conditions.

16. garfight

garfight Member

not to drive the thread more ot - i just had to say thats one of the coolest additudes of a music store owner i've ever heard.just wanted to say good on you man :)

17. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thats a great outlook man, I love that, one of the most righteous things I've heard anyone say on TGP in a long time. Thanks for that dose of how things should be Greg.

-TJK

18. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Thanks again for the props guys.
    It means allot. If any of you are in Denver, look me up. The new store will open in March, and I'd love to have fourmites on the stage.

Just an update.
    I got back from NAMM this morning. First and foremost, I did get to meet Allan Holdsworth and Frank Gambale at the Carvin booth. Pics will come soon.

I also did try the V3 at the show as well. It was a little intimadating, since Allan was about 10 feet from me.

The V3 rocked and has some cool features. I prefer the natuaral sounding gain of the Legacy. The V3 hinges on the Nu-Metal tone and the clean is better than the Legacy IMHO.
    Great working man's amp for the money.
    The cabs were just OK.
    Very focused tone.

Gregory

19. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

For anyone who has tried this amp:
    Are there any amps that you would say this amp sounds similar to?

20. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

It really has its own tones. Its in the Peavey XXX and Rectifier genre. Check out the clips on the Carvin web site.

Gregory