New Catalinbread pedals: Skewer and Dreamcoat

TheReplicant

As teased, they come together as a boxed set. I’m really not digging their choices in artwork these days though.

JesterR

This ones has great graphics, not like on previous "art" editions. And pack looks nice.
Not sure, that I would buy it, because one is clearly naga viper.
But still interested.

TheReplicant

Should I feel bad for really liking them? lol. Honestly, it's really awesome.
It’s definitely a niche thing with roots in underground comics. For me it’s more a question of how it relates to the inspiration behind the pedals. The old Catalinbread usually made visual references to the gear/artists being emulated- I really don’t get a Blackmore vibe from these.

TheReplicant

Of interest from the Dreamcoat manual:
‘The TP-1011 was originally designed to accept a microphone input. Microphones operate at as low as -60dBu, and guitars 20dBu higher, so a guitar signal naturally overloaded the front end, creating its signature distortion. Unlike the original Aiwa unit that runs at 18V, the circuit didn’t really do the amp-melting thing until I increased the operating voltage to 20V, and so that’s where we stand. The 20V operating voltage is supplied via a shunt-regulated charge pump, so plugging a standard 9V power supply into it does the trick.
When you adjust the Blend control, keep in mind that the “clean” sound is actually whatever you feed into the Dreamcoat, so running another pedal up front will allow you to blend the signals in parallel. This is a boon for you gain stackers out there, or you can get creative with it---try plugging in a ADT pedal or a subtle chorus up front and backing off the Blend control to let your cleans really jump out.’

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Not a fan of the artwork so much. But I don't generally care too much about that. As long as the artwork doesn't make the labels hard to read, I'm okay.

The idea itself is kind of cool. There are very, very few reasonably priced pedal takes on the old Aiwa tape deck thing that Blackmore used. BSM makes a couple, but their are really expensive. And Guitar Slinger makes the RB1011. But that's about it.

At first glance, I thought the two circuits should be combined into one. But then again, some people already have their own treble booster, so I guess separating them makes some sense. But only if you don't have to buy them together.

raj007

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a bit behind the current TGP protocol, are we supposed to hate these because of the artwork too? Or are they still cool too?

Art is absolute garbage on these, too (as are the Catalinbread pedals....oooooooooooooooo look how TRIPPY we are, aren't we coooooooooooool????????????)

Fortunately, in the pedal world, you CAN polish a turd--The polish being the tone.

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
Dear Catalinbread,

The artwork is tacky. It is difficult to read the text (would not be able to read this at a gig). The pedal names are horrible.

If you have to squat and get really close and squint to read the text on the pedal, you have failed.

TheReplicant

Dear Catalinbread,

The artwork is tacky. It is difficult to read the text (would not be able to read this at a gig). The pedal names are horrible.

If you have to squat and get really close and squint to read the text on the pedal, you have failed.
So Strymon pedals, with secondary functions that don’t have text at all, are failures too? And honestly this text isn’t much smaller/harder to read than most pedals.

Also I would hope that by the time someone was gigging with a pedal they’d have a basic grasp of what the knobs did…