New CCG in the house...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Crazy Carl, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

Crazy Carl's Guitars, that is, serial #1 :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the crap pics. It's late, lighting, no photo skills, etc. Guitar is much more of a 'cherry' shade.

So, yeah, this is what access to a shop, MANY hours, many questions of luthier friends (thanks, fellas) & sheer determination turn into.

Basic specs- solid mahogany (1 piece body, 1 piece neck), flat top, macassar ebony board w/abalone dots, 5 ply body & 3 ply headstock binding, Stew Mac #154 fretwire (as tall as 6100s, but a touch narrower), Gotoh/TonePros bridge, Wolfetone P90s (540K CTSs w/.015 Orange Drop) & Gotoh mini locking tuners w/18:1 ratio. Body wood was VERY dry & very light, neck super dense, stiff & perfectly 1/2 sawn. CA porefill, shellac sealer coat & rattle-can nitro (in my basement storage room!).

Plays real nice. RESONANT! This baby's louder, unplugged, than any semi-hollow or hollow body I've heard. The entire guitar just vibrates like mad w/every note.

The Wolfetone P90s rip! Told him to wind me up some Mississippi Queen, Slow Ride & Bad Motor Scooter, all rolled into one & voila. Killer set of Soapbars. Prettiest neck pickup tone I've heard. The bridge p/u is super fat/full, but with a top-end bite that'll rip yer face off. Me likey :dude

She dresses out in the 7 1/2 to 8 lbs range (guesstimate, feels pretty light).

Still gotta monkey w/pickup height a bit & flip one of the p/u's mags, as they're outta phase, but no biggy. I'm telling you, that neck pickup is outrageous & the bridge just flat out wails. With that .015 tone cap, it gives up a perfect 'notched wah' tone w/the tone control rolled back.

Oh yeah, BIG neck. 1 1/32" at the 1st fret, tapering to 1 1/8" at the 10th. Very soft, mild V shape down low, tapering into a nice D shape up high. Don't even really notice the size.

So yeah, I'm pretty stoked. I was scared it'd be a turd & am so relieved it actually kicketh some booty.

2. CS'56

CS'56 Member

That guitar looks really nice! I would love to build a guitar

3. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

That's beautiful! Very well conceived and executed from what I can see.

-Austin

4. DamianP

DamianP Member

Nice work indeed.
    Of course you won`t be able to stop now.
    I`m just starting #`s 2 & 3. I dont need any more guitars but making them is too much fun to stop!

,Damian.

5. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

Thanks, fellas.

Damian, no doubt. I have enough of the same mahogany on hand to do 4 more (not including #2, which is already started), black limba for 2 more, a real nice maple top-set & wood on the way for 2 more (black and white limba, a SICK flamed maple top-billet & an IRW neck billet).

6. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Awesome. Very cool looking! Nice work.

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

carl,
    could you PM or email me please? i have a few questions for you....

btw, very nice work!

8. mainsale

mainsale Member

See, Carl, I told you. People would buy this guitar.

9. Antero

Antero Member

10. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

Very nice guitar.....the body shape looks a bit Mcinturffish.

11. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

Jperryrocks, that's 'cos I used my TCMs as a template for teh body shape- bass side of my Royal & treble side of my FLE. Wasn't trying to 'knock off' a TCM, but I thought the body shape was very elegant. I did speak with Terry prior to starting, just to make sure he was cool with it.

Oh, yeah, headstock. Here's a shot, prior to paint obviously (got home late & just snapped a few pics).
    [​IMG]
    Kind of a Ken Lawrence thing, just tweaked slightly to my tastes.

Again, thanks fellas. Means a lot.

12. webb

webb Member

Whoa! Love the body shape, the headstock has a nice curve to it too.
    Great work.

13. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Beautiful guitar and awesome sounding pickups I bet. I want one too-P.M. sent to CC.

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

AWEsome, Carl. But I already told you that. LOL!

15. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

Wow guys, thanks. Really.

Okay, yes, I do hope someday to do this professionally. And yes, I'm extremely flattered that some of you are interested in my work.

But, this is very literally the first guitar I've ever built. At this point, I can't in good conscience, accept an order for a guitar. I just can't take someone's money, until I'm positive I can build a kick-a$$ guitar on a consistent basis.

#1 will be heading Stateside soon, for a thorough eval. If she, in fact, is truely a good guitar, based on my buds' evals & not just some 'really cool woodshop project' AND depending on how #2 turns out (in progress, will post when done) well, I would be willing to consider a SMALL # of orders. That's only if my guitars are truely 'good' & not just pretty.

Not trying to play the exclusivity/jack prices game. I simply won't take money, if I'm not positive I can deliver the goods. And, I simply don't have a lot of time & wouldn't want to leave anyone hanging.

Let's just see how this shakes out & if y'all are still interested in a month or two, we'll talk offline.

Again, thanks so much for the compliments & the interest. I am truly floored.

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Hey Carl,

She looks great! Any chance of you comin' around for the next TCM party? I sat in with Greg Germino and Jason Barker and friends @ the Pizza Palace in Durham last Sat. night. Roger was there and mentioned the next party @ Terry's in about 5 weeks or so. I'd love to see that bad girl and hear how she sounds!

:D

17. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

Jack, thanks. I would love to have been there for that show.

I won't be able to make the party, unfortunately :BITCH , but #1 is getting sent to Roger w/in the next week or two for eval. You'll be able to to give 'er a thorough test drive.

Hey bro, the cab's done, if you wanna check it out- http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=130495