New Ceriatone 2204 - soundclip too !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hamfist, Oct 4, 2008.

1. hamfist

hamfist Member

Really pleased with my new Ceriatone 2204. It beats the pants of the other 2204 I owned (a '78 JMP50).
    One of the best differences is how quiet this amp is at full gain. The background noise is really low (even though I've got a PPIMV installed too - useless with this circuit, BTW).

The moment I got it, I did a few little tweaks, as I like to tame the 2204's cutting treble and give it rather fuller mids and bass. Nothing tricky.
    I am really pleased with the result.
    Here's a clip I did through a Marshall 412 with greenbacks :-

http://www.box.net/shared/static/78qv411onh.wav (wav file - really does sound better !)

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ps76hcm82r.mp3 (mp3 - iffy sound quality, but quicker to download)

The master was only on about 0.5, so hardly even on really. I can't wait to be able to open it up, and see what she's got !

[​IMG]

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

I suppose for completeness I should document the simple mods I did.

- treble peaking circuit between low gain input and pre-amp gain dial replaced with a 68K resistor.(reduces treble)

- 10K resistor placed between the grounded tab of the mids pot and ground (more mids available)

- Bypassed V2a cathode resitor (820 ohm) with a 0.68 uF cap (more plexi-like mids)

- put a 0.0033 uF cap between the 4 ohm tap on the output selector and the negative feedback resistor (100K) (increases bass response)

- put a 330pF cap across the 68K input resistor of V1a (tweaks the mids a bit - in a nice way to my ear)

The Ceriatone 2204's come without a brite cap on the pre-amp gain pot. If there had been one, I would have removed it.

All these mods are just tonal tweaks. No extra gain is involved at all.
    For me, the biggest effects were from the 0.0033uF cap in the neg feedback loop, and the 0.68uF over the V2a cathode resistor.

All that is about 30 minutes work for a tech, if you can't DIY.

I'm well pleased, I think I have a great (and hopefully reliable, new) hand-wired amp for pretty minimal money.

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

What kind of LP clone is that in the photo?

4. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Tokai

5. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

Would they have done these mods on request at Ceriatone?

6. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'm sure Nik will do almost anything if you ask (please keep all the ineundos to yourself gentlemen !). He is very amenable like that. I don't expect he'd charge you amore than about an extra $10 for it either.

7. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I just picked up a 2204 full stack this week for 950.00. The head sounds pretty good, but I think yours sounds better. It also might be the speakers. What kind of pups in the Les Paul clone?

8. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Nice sounding amp. Could you do one and crank the gain so I can hear how much this baby will put out? (note: I know if you're close miked you can't have the MV up much past that or it'll sound like crap). Maybe some Ozzy or Scorpions.

9. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

10. hamfist

hamfist Member

The bridge pup is a Dimarzio Air Norton.

Neck is a Dimarzio Fred, although not used in the soundclip above.

11. hamfist

hamfist Member

The pre-amp gain was dimed for the Back in Black clip.
    As I said earlier though, the master was very low. Cranking the master up would give a bit more gain, and a fair bit more compression i think, although I haven't had a chance to try it out with the amp yet. I just don't have the opportunity to do that near all my recording gear (which is my home PC really !)

12. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

13. hamfist

hamfist Member

Just a quick update, for completeness of the thread.
    I have now got an Ultimate Attenuator, which actually allows me to open the amp up and use it as it was intended.
    With the mods I described above, it sounds good at very low volume but (as I suspected) very muddy when you get the master much above 1.
    So now I have undone all the mods I described above, except for the mod replacing the treble-peaking circuit between the low gain input and the pre-amp gain pot with a 68K resistor.
    So now, it sounds great at higher master volume settings. I generally run it with the master between 2 and 3. It sounds much thicker and generally better now than the clip in the first post.

One other beneficial thing I have done is to change the negative feedback circuit to a 47K off the 8ohm tap. THings are just a bit tighter than with 100K off the 4ohm tap. The amp has a tiny bit less gain like this but I prefer it.
    Still loving the amp to bits though !!

14. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

how bout a clip with a boost? 808 would be nice :banana

15. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

I never had a problem cranking an amp and close miking. That's the sound of rock so I'm not sure what you are referring to?

16. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

I thought many dig a PPIMV on a Marshall like this?

What issues do you have with it and why did you get it if it's useless?

Thanks

17. hamfist

hamfist Member

I just didn't like the sound of the amp with the PPIMV dialled down. The pre-PIMV simply sounded nicer. THe PPIMV seemed to give my amp a cheap, nasty quality when used. Sorry, can't explain it better than that. Someone else might have loved the tone using the PPIMV. It's all personal preference after all.

As to "why did you get it if it's useless ?". I got it because it only cost another $15, or something like, that to have installed by Ceriatone. I also knew I could easily remove it (or simply just leave it full on) if I didn't like it. It's generally called experimentation.

18. Unabender

Unabender Member

This mod definitely adds preamp gain. I can't see how it would not.

19. rob2001

rob2001 Member

There are some cool tones there. How does it sound turned up with the greenies rockin? And thanks for your opinion on power scaling. I kinda figured it would work for quiet playing but get funky when you want volume. My 2204 just starts to wake up at 2 or so on the master.

20. gulliver

gulliver Member

What wonderful crunch you have!