1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Chapin: Carved Top Hawk + Skyway Content

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by DerekMinnich, Mar 11, 2006.

1. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Amazing Instrument....plays like a dream and sounds incredible. The body is Honduran Mahogony with flamed maple top. The neck is Madagascar Rosewood with a Blackwood Board. Pickups are Seth Lover in the neck and a Lollar Imperial in the Bridge (The two are great together). The neck is typical Chapin buttery smoothness. Sorry about the pictures, I couldn't seem to get the right lighting indoors and I'm not a great photographer. The finish is deeper and absolutely breath taking in person. More to come!

2. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

That is gorgeous! Congrats!

What do you think of the Skyway?

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

Hi, Derek,

Nice cohesive whole. Like the headstock detail. Good choice of pick ups too. I like the Seth Lover's, underrated.

Me too on how the Skyway is.

Best, Pete.

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Wow!!!! Simply fantastic!!!!!

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

Derek,
    On the photos you've gone from a dark brown background to a too light background - try and find a neutral grey or blue, it'll look even better....

Best, Pete.

6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Wow!! Thats killer. Can't wait for some more, better pics!!

7. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Wow, Derek, that is a superb guitar. It just oozes Bill's quality build. Congratulations!

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

One of the nicest looking Chapin's I've seen.

Congrats!

9. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

Very nice! That headstock overlay is especially cool!
    Nice work,

cheers.

saul

10. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

WOW Amazing guitar. Please report on the Skyway. Maybe I need another Chapin ;)

11. Srini

Srini Guest

Congratulations - that is stunning! How long did you have to wait for it?

Srini

12. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Niiiice. Very cool. I'd love to hear clips. I've been wondering when we were gonna get pictures. Play her loud. does the color of the top kind of change colors with the light too?

cmn

13. Ogre

Ogre Member

Congratulations on a stunning guitar!

14. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Thanks for all the compliments all. I'll elaborate more when I get a chance.

Old Tele: It is a type of set neck joint, hopefully Chapin can chime in a little bit more about it along with the other technical specs of the instrument.

15. Shades

Shades Member

The neck joint is one of four set neck joints that I offer (the other 3 being a locking horizontal dovetail with a block , a locking horizontal dovetail with a blended heel and a traditional Les paul style mortise/tenon) this style is closest to a bolt style in block location and shape. The block is carved so that it fits into the palm of your hand and doesn't restrict access at all when fretting the 22 (or 24th if the case may be ) fret.
    Regarding other specs:
    The body is one piece of 1 3/4" thick ribbon figured Honduran Mahogany with a 5/8" thick bookmatched quartersawn flame maple top with white binding. The neck is a really special piece of quartersawn striped Madagascar Rosewood with an African Blackwood fingerboard (the thickness is .985 at the nut to 1" at the 12th fret, with a shape sort of in between a C and a U) and is glued into the body using high quality hot hide glue (which I also used for most of the rest of the joinery). The headstock is tilted back at 10 degrees. The nut is unbleached bone. the nut width is 1 11/16". The headcap overlay is gabon ebony. The inlays are our mother of pearl shades and triangles with abalone lenses. The scale length is 24.625" and the frets are Stew Mac #149 which is a really nice medium jumbo wire that Michael Stevens turned me onto years ago (thanks Mike.) The tuners are Gotoh vintage-style lockings. The bridge is a Skyway prototype (which is extremely cool in tone, stability,return to pitch and sustain.) Nickel hardware. The bridge pickup is an F spaced custom-wound Lollar imperial and the neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover. I tried a few different pickups but these best match the natural voice of the instrument.

16. stratofied

stratofied Member

Great looking guitar Derek!

17. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

I'll say one more thing about the looks of the guitar before I go on. I had NO idea that Bill used such a beautiful piece of Honduran Mahogony for the body before I took arrival...I knew the top was steller but the mahogony is equally beautiful and I was pleasantly suprised on arrival. In fact, I wish I had a matching guitar with an all mahogony body from the same piece of with this amber finish....the figure is just brilliant, its like it glows!

18. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I suspect this is the same neck joint as my Hollow Hawk, any details about it?
    What are the advantages of the differant joints and which do you prefer and why?

BTW just picking up one of my two Hawks is a pleasure every time, great guitars!! Thanks Bill.

19. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

That is gorgeous. I have to admit--that is the first Hawk I've liked the looks of---but I love this one.

20. theFaf

theFaf Member

Very Nice! I cannot to see what Bill has cooking up for my CT Hawk -- if yours and Ander's guitars are any indication... :dude

The mahogany body is really cool looking and the headstock overlay is new and very interesting. I'd love to hear some clips.

Scott