New Chapins in place or en route?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Testudo, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Testudo

Testudo Member

I haven't heard any announcements for a while.

2. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

I'm waiting on a 50's style esquire. My Buddy Jason just got a killer carved top hawk.

3. Mike

Mike Member

I have 3 more coming. I'm going to let the folks on my emailing list know before I post to the board though. Of course, existing customers and Norcal tone folks are on the list, (yeah, you Pete!) and will have first dibs for a couple of days. They are 60-90 days out, and plenty of room for customization. I just want Bill to catch up a little on his full custom orders, and I want the delivery time to be truly 60-90 days, with as little slippage as possible.

Mike

4. 57special

57special Member

alder/BR houla with middle pup eliminated . 4 way switch for the remaining two. Ordered a couple of months ago, don't know how long it'll be. I'm not bugging him about it ... i believe in letting a man work.

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

Hmmm...sounds fun!

Best, Pete

6. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Ooh!! Now that sounds SWEET!

7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Yeah, Old School. Pine Body. Bill got some Civil War salvage pine for it. Its gonna be kiler. Just like the first Namm esquire 1950. Black, White guard, one piece Quartersawn maple neck. I can't wait.

8. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Oh man that sounds killer! Wonder how different pine sounds from alder?

No matter, if it comes out of Bill's, it's going to SING!

9. flash1

flash1 Member

I have a set neck, carved top Bloomfield type hawk in the curing stage. Should be here in a month or so.

10. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Bill makes amazing guitars. I have what I consider to be the best vintage type strat with some of the best tones on the planet coming from my Ash/Maple Mary Kaye type strat that Bill made. I would put it up against any Strat type guitar. It is an awesome machine.

11. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

I'll have some surprises showing up in the next few weeks. One T-Bird is
    just waiting on paint, buffing and assembly. I'll be announcing when she
    is ready to ship. It will take a few months to settle into a flow but we
    will get there as the custom back orders get caught up with.

12. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Oh, no, Steve, MY Ash/Maple strat is the best vintage type strat :) ... I sent it back to Bill to get the neck replaced. The original neck was killer but too big for me. I've been going insane without it - a.k.a., I've been spending money on other stuff trying to make do with my PRS strat copy. This was a guitar that I really liked until I got the 'Houla. Bill told me he finished the new neck. He said it was close but not quite there for him so he's making another. This is what I love about Bill's work.

13. theFaf

theFaf Member

I have two inprogress at the moment, a T-Bird and a Carved-Top Hawk. Bill sent me a couple of pics last week of the CT Hawk in the paint booth.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I can't wait! :)

Scott

14. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Scott,

That guitar is beautiful. I have a feeling mine is going to be very similar. Just a tad bit lighter. Is is semi-hollow? The control cavity looks like it opens to the side? More Specs or did I miss them in the Big thread?

cmn

15. theFaf

theFaf Member

Bill will need to chime in on all of the specs (they've morphed a bit over time). :)

I can tell you that it is semi-hollow, mahogany back, cedar top. Bill nicknamed it the backsaver, because it was originally conceived to be something light enough to help me out with some major back issues that I was having a while ago (thankfully, my back is doing much better these days).

I think that the neck is mahogany with a rosewood fingerboard (this is one of the things that changed); but it will be a big, fat sucker. The pickups will be whatever Bill thinks will work best with the guitar. And, I seem to recall several ideas around the bridge, including an ABW piano-style one, but I'm not sure what Bill's current plans are.

The T-Bird will be a straight-up Ash and Maple tone monster.

Bill, you out there? I hope that you're doing well.

Scott

16. trisonic

trisonic Member

Scott,

Beautiful.
    You must have the biggest collection of Chapins on the planet.

You guys seen Wing's new Chapin in the main thread?

Best, Pete.

17. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

You are making me excited. My Carve Top Hawk is going to be semi with a Cedar Top as well.

18. theFaf

theFaf Member

Naw, I think that that honor is all D-O-C's. ;) I wouldn't even dream to try to keep up with him. :eek:

Scott

19. Shades

Shades Member

Sorry it took this long to respond. I'm finally feeling human again and have been back working for 2 days now after a chunk of time down. The back on your guitar is figured mahogany hybrid hollow (which in this case involves a U shaped coupling brace that ties the neck to the bridge and separates the full hollow center into inner and perimeter sections which are then ported into one another via inlets along the brace.) The top is western red cedar. The neck is honduran mahogany with a rosewood board.

20. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I have been checking for available Chapins now that I am back to work. I need to replace the lamented Rustic.