new Charvel GG damaged - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pittster, Jan 29, 2015.

1. pittster

pittster Member

new Charvel Govan, lovely guitar.

noticed one of the electronic cavity plate screws was missing. took off the plate to see that one of the holes was drilled too close to the edge of the routing. screw must have fallen out as it had no wood to 'bite' into.

otherwise its a lovely guitar. am I being too picky? it is a $3.5k (or £2.4k in UK) guitar so was surprised to see this.

am waiting to hear back from the shop and Fender UK

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

You could send it back but the fact that you say it is a lovely guitar otherwise makes me think you shouldn't. Be kind of sad if you did that and then didn't feel the same way about the replacement.

Though on the other hand if I spent that amount of money on a guitar I'd be peeved as well...

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

Fill it and re-drill the hole. It's a trivial fault assuming the rest of the guitar is ok.

4. pittster

pittster Member

I thought about doing that but even if I filled/redrilled the plate hole is still too close to the edge of the cavity route surely same thing would happen

I'm thinking only option other than replacement guitar would be supplying a new cavity cover whose screw holes were placed differently so screw has wood to bite into.

Wonder if other Charvel Govans are the same?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  5. Mars Rover

Mars Rover Member

Why not just glue a sliver of wood next to the blown-out hole?

6. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

That you posted about it here suggests that it may eat away at you. Return it.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

There's the rub. FBOW and in actuality or perception, sloppiness like this can be a sign of worse hidden issues. That's why good craftsmen avoid it.

8. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

9. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

Annoying for sure but I don't know if I'd let it bother me if I loved the guitar otherwise. Tough call

10. Mr God

Mr God Member

Unless you have OCD it doesn't matter. It's an easy fix that won't be noticeable when the cover is on or affect functionality.

I wouldn't return a great playing guitar for this out of fear that the next one I get may not be as good of a guitar.

11. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

Be picky. For $3.5K you should expect a flawless guitar - this is the kind of quality control error you'd expect of a $500 guitar.

John 14:6 likes this.
  12. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

Thats a tough choice. If the guitar was speaking to me in all other aspects I would be inclined to keep it. and have that repaired. On the other hand, for 3.5k it should not have that issues. Have you spoken to Charvel about it yet? Its likely they would repair the guitar vs a replacement

13. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

I'm completely OCD but in this case I think I'd keep it if I loved the guitar save for that flaw and either 1) leave it alone, 2) add a sliver of wood and see if I could get the screw to bite or 3) attach the screw head to the plate somehow so that it looks like there's a screw in there rather than a missing one.

But I do understand your frustration. . . for that money you want it PERFECT.

14. s2y

s2y Member

Here's something to consider. Not all guitars sound and/or feel the same. If this GG plays and sounds amazing, will the next one be as good? It could potentially be a better guitar or potentially not as good. I personally wouldn't let this issue bother me if the guitar was otherwise perfect.

15. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

agreed^^
    as long as the plate isn't falling off, I'd keep it and fix myself.. but you'd think on a 3K guitar stuff like that would not happen. I wouldn't mind seeing more pics of the guitar though!!

16. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Tough one.....if it weren't a $3500 guitar I'd probably use one of the fixes suggested here (or just leave it as is.....)and not worry about it, but on a high dollar guitar, I'd most likely send it back. Yeah, its such a minor little thing that isn't going to affect the way it plays or sounds, but on a $3500 guitar I would expect a flawless instrument regardless of how it affects playability.

17. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

I'll send it back. I agree with the other poster $3.5 guitar should be flawless.

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

+1...

- georgestrings

19. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

yeah, this is a really good point.

20. tj1004

tj1004 Member

If this was found on a new Gibson this would be a bash fest. Everyone would be demanding that you send it back and that it's unacceptable and just another example of why they think Gibson sucks.