New Charvels

$tratcat

I'm really intrigued by this new Charvel model:

Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal Style 2

These have pretty much every feature I'm looking for at a great price ($1000). What's the catch? Has anyone recently purchased a Charvel and can share info on their quality/setup?

Also, I've never bought a guitar without a case - how do they ship these and ensure they're not damaged in transit?

harry65

Supporting Member
I’m also intrigued, I’d probably throw some Humbucker size P90s in there though

zekmoe

Having owned one of the originals by Wayne back in the day, I’ll say the necks on the new ones were nothing like that. Small skinny import feeling. Not bad for the money but not the heftier wider feel of the originals with the brass bridges.

Ben Pinkus

Only issue I've heard from some of these are to do with tuning (and I think 1 with rough fret edges), but they seem pretty good for the money, I've been tempted to get one of the pink ones

BoogieManSC

Supporting Member
I've got a few of them and gig them. Bulletproof reliable and stay in tune impeccably and better than some guitars that cost 5x what the Charvels did... I've updated the FR's with titanium bits & brass blocks from FU Tone. Also, I wasn't crazy about the ceramic pickups in the SCal (I have 1 Socal and 2 San Dimas), so I picked up a set of the JB/59 (bridge/neck) from Stratosphere and swapped it in. The 6-pack switching options is pretty damn versatile. None of my 3 had any setup or fret issues and were actually a damn steal for less than $1000. I have these along side many $4000+ guitars but for what they are, I'd have to highly recommend them. I always bring one to gigs, usually with 2 other guitars and I always end up using it for at least a few tunes. Never an issue

Last edited:

zeppelinpage4

I have a 2016 So Cal style 1 which I love so far. Time will tell if the electronics and parts hold up but the guitar keeps tune well, trem feels smooth to use and I LOVE the 6 pack of sound, especially the middle position which gets close to a nice classic strat tone. I’m debating on changing out pickups but the ceramic Duncan Distortions have grown on me, I like their clean sounds more than my JB.

LesPaulfanboi

I played one of the new DK charvels at a shop a few weeks ago. Looks like a super Strat with all white bobbins and a roasted maple neck.

The thing that turned me off immediately was the neck. It felt flat (depth) with a wide fretboard. I figured, ok shredder neck, cool. But the edges of the fretboard were so sharp, no roundness at all. I like edges (or binding in many cases) to have some “broken-in” feel, or at least be smooth. Theses were like knife edges.

gibletpie

I just bought a Charvel DK24 HH a couple of weeks ago and love it. Love the neck. Thinner than my Fender AmPro, but not nearly as thin as the Ibanez RG560 (Wizard) I used to play. I wouldn't want it any thinner--or thicker, for that matter. To me, it feels just right. The neck is super smooth and just feels great to play. The body is a bit smaller than a typical strat (Dinky), which I love. Very comfortable, and nice light weight. The pickups are Duncan-made and sound great, IMO, clean or under heavy, heavy gain. And the switching options make the guitar incredibly versatile. Also stays in tune very well with trem use.

I've been playing it constantly. I like it so much that I've been eyeballing a So Cal Style 2 HH HT (hardtail).

Mine came shipped from Sweetwater in a Charvel box with cardboard spacers at either end and bubble wrap padding in the middle and at the ends. This box was placed inside another box with thick foam padding in between. Very secure. I got a Fender gig bag, which arrived in a separate box, and the guitar fits about perfectly.

the recluse

I bought that exactas model a few months ago and have had zero issues with it. Neck is wide and flat, but no fret sprout issues. Tuners and bridge hold tune well, and I was surprised at how much I like the Fishman Fluence pickups, they are pretty well rounded and have more character than I expected for actives.

The only thing that's been an adjustment for me is the placement of the volume pot. It's really easy to knock it with my right hand and inadvertently drop my volume. That's more to do with my style than a fault of the guitar.

FWIW, I was able to get one brand new for under $850, just need to shop around.

PatriotBadger

If the features are what you are after, then obviously it's a good candidate.

I will say that the 'carmelized' maple necks and boards they use are either not torrefied at all and get the color some other way, or are very poorly torrefied. I have picked up dozens of the Mexican Charvels with 'carmelized' necks that have shrunk so badly the fret ends can draw blood. If they were actually torrefied, that could't happen. Just something to be aware of, it may or may not matter to you.

thebeebs

I have a DK24 2 pt (the pink HSS one) and I love it. I replaced the pickups with some Suhrs, but honestly the stock Duncans were pretty great, I just got antsy. I got it for a smoking deal as a demo guitar from a guitar shop, but it looked basically new.

mikemjr12

I’ve got one of the orange hsh dk24s en route from an online retailer. I like the looks of the guitar and the switching options. A bit pricey for a MIM guitar, but seems to have better hardware than some of the others

I'm really intrigued by this new Charvel model:

Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal Style 2

These have pretty much every feature I'm looking for at a great price ($1000). What's the catch? Has anyone recently purchased a Charvel and can share info on their quality/setup?

Also, I've never bought a guitar without a case - how do they ship these and ensure they're not damaged in transit?
I bought a new Pro-Mod So-Cal Style 1 about a week ago. Was able to snag it new for nearly half-off. Fit and finish were great out of the box, frets looked good, and neck straight. Action was super high, but after a basic set-up lowering the Floyd and adjusting the springs it plays fantastic. Still getting used to the thin neck (certainly skinnier than my Kramer, Fender, and Gibson, maybe a bit meatier than my Epiphone ES-335), but it really plays wonderfully. Even for nearly $1000 its a seriously good guitar for the money. No regrets on the purchase at all.

BigDoug1053

Supporting Member
When I started playing superstrats, I went with Jackson pro series and Ibanez RG and S models. I have 6 and 7 string versions of the Dinky and the Soloist. That said - I have looked long and hard at the Pro Mods - especially the tele style models. I think they are comparable to the Jacksons and would definitely check them out if I was in the market for a shredder. And you can get the Pro Mods used if you want to save some money. Good luck in your hunt!

JCW308

Supporting Member
I was interested until I saw the reversed headstock. Was actually shopping for the natural version. Dang!

Trending Topics